CoStar Group Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 24, 2017

2.5

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

They really bring out all the bells and whistles when they bring you to DC. The first thing they show you is the in home gym and the rooftop terrace. It seems like an attempt to impress you before you realize the job is not all its cracked up to be.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in June 2013.

Interview

First round is telephone then a web recorded interview.

Interview Questions

• Very basic questions. Few about yourself and your skill set.   Answer Question

Research Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in March 2012.

Interview

Usually starts with a detailed phone screening call from recruiter, followed by a call-back for an interview with hiring manager and director.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I negotiated an extra week of vacation.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in April 2011.

Interview

Applied online with an internal refferal. I received and e-mail a couple days later requesting I complete a screening which was a breeze. I scheduled my phone interview in the screening and received a call the next day. Phone interview is basically about where you see yourself and to determine if you are articulate. FInally I scheduled the in-person interview, I first met with the research manager, then sat with another associate, and finally met with a director. The process was smooth and easy

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is no negotiation, the salary and benefits are laid out before hand.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in July 2011.

Interview

I received a request for a phone interview less than a day after I submitted my applications via Career Builder in response to an entry-level Research Associate post. Before the interview they had me fill out and return a simple form documenting and rating my skills, discussing career goals, and rating how my prior employers would judge my performance. The phone interview was largely based around my answers to these questions and provided an introducing to CoStar and the position. I was asked to come in for an interview, they didn't offer to reimburse for travel, which was disappointing. During the 1:1 interview I met with one of the Research Managers, who appeared unprepared and amateur. We went over my resume and she asked very basic questions, "what interest you about real estate, are you comfortable with competition, when have you ever had to conduct research or cold calling?" So say the least, within 5 minutes of starting the interview I wanted to leave. They then had me sit for 10 minutes with one of the current employees to see what CoStar does in action, it was painful. It then took them two weeks to inform me that I was not offered a job.

Interview Questions

• When have you been judged on a metric system? Do you have experience working on a metric?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in January 2012.

Interview

I applied online one morning, and got an email that same afternoon requesting that I fill out a questionnaire and schedule a phone interview. I did that immediately, and got a response from the recruiter, thanking me for finishing the questionnaire so quickly. We confirmed that she would call me for my phone interview between 10am and 10:30am the next morning.

I never received a call. At 11:00 I emailed the recruiter, stating that I understand she has a busy schedule, and that I was still interested in interviewing for the position. She IMMEDIATELY responded with "Can I call you in 10 minutes?" I told her yes. Another half hour goes by, and she finally decided to call. I got no apology, as she didn't seem to care about my wasted time. She then said she needed me to email the questionnaire...yes, the same one that she thanked me for finishing so quickly. I reminded her, and she found it. She gave me basic behavior questions, went over my resume, then scheduled the in-person interview for the next day. Awesome! She was very helpful in telling me how to prepare, so I forgave her for her bad morning behavior. Throughout the day, she emailed me documents to prepare for the next day: background check, references, directions, etc. All in separate emails....annoying, but fine, I want a job.

In all of the emails she sent me, at least three grammatical errors appeared. I know that not everyone is a stickler for grammar the way I am, but this is supposed to be a professional email.

Needless to say, the less-than-stellar Glassdoor reviews, the late phone interview, the grammatical errors, plus a strange request for me to dumb down my resume drove me to cancel my in-person interview. No need to waste my time or theirs.

Interview Questions

I would have gone plum crazy.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in July 2011.

Interview

Very simple 1:1 interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in March 2012.

Interview

very quick. received an email from HR 2 days after applying online. They originally sent me an interview survey but contacted me by phone before I had a chance to fill it out (less than 6hrs). Phone interview with a recruiter that lasted 15mins. Completely about personality, comfort on the phone and basic questions about why I was interested in commercial real estate and CoStar in particular. I was invited to an in person interview for the following week.

In person interview consisted of speaking with a "researcher" and watching him do his job. I must say he wasn't very enthusiastic about the position or CoStar. After talking to him for 20mins I knew that I didnt want the position. Then i spoke with a manager (she had been with the company for 10 years). She asked me questions directly off of a questionnaire (the same one they sent me the week before) and wrote down my responses as I watch. Then i met with her boss (whom had worked there for only 2 weeks). She asked me the same exact questions that the first interviewer did and copied my answers down next to my original responses.

i got an offer within 24hrs

Interview Questions

the company definitely has some young, smart people working there but it is clear that they would all rather be somewhere else. overall they were pessimistic about their experiences with CoStar.

for CoSar, researching means telemarketing and data entry. The brokers dont want to speak with you and from what i was told you are assigned a new batch every few months so that they dont get sick of your voice.

if you can't get a job elsewhere then CoStar offers a paycheck, a nice office and free breakfast.

salary is $40k base plus bonus (3-9k avg); the researcher i spoke with said that the company monitors your phone calls and scores each encounter with brokers. they lower your scores when you approach bonus time so that they dont have to pay you larger bonuses. (not a healthy work environment)

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in May 2012.

Interview

Excellent and fast pace process. They make you feel that you finally made to that great job but the truth is that the job is bad that they try to trick you in. You should mistrust a hiring process that is so straight forward.

Interview Questions

• They are the same behavioral questions of always. It is super easy to say something they would love to hear.   Answer Question

Negotiation

jajajaja, there is no negotiation. Take it or leave it.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in October 2010.

Interview

while the process became more selective during my time at CoStar, they hire anyone who can handle speaking to strangers without sounding nervous or unprofessional. If you are somewhat intelligent and outgoing, you will have a job offer within a few days

Interview Questions

• You are asked to conduct a mock phone call with a real estate broker during the interview   Answer Question