CoStar Group Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

CoStar Group Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated Jan 9, 2017

2.5

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

Very short phone interview, followed by skype interview, followed by in person interview with research managers. You will often end up working for one of the managers that interview you, but not always.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in January 2013.

Interview

The interview was uncomfortable. The interviewer was rude and condescending. He did not understand why I was interested in the position. He cut off a lot of my responses. I knew the interview was over before it really began.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

Pretty easy process. First, I had a phone interview and then I went in for an in person interview. I met with a research associate, manager, and then a research director.

Interview Questions

• How does the company make money?   1 Answer

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

I only had the phone screening. The phone screening questions were .NET and responsive front-end related. They were rapid fire. The asked me about 30 questions in 15 minutes. They continually asked me a new question while I was answering a previous question. I would get 2 words out and zip, the next question came. They felt like if they got the answer they liked then they just moved on to the next question. Not really the best way to communicate, in my opinion.

I answered over 90% of the questions correctly. They felt like a couple of my JavaScript answers weren't strong enough so they elected not to interview me in person. I found that bazaar considering I answered almost every question correctly. What, does Costar think they are the best company in the world?!?!? My references from prior CTOs are sterling and prove I have been a value asset. I found it insulting that they chose not to interview me over something minor.

Either way, I have a new job somewhere else that is more respectful!

Interview Questions

• Describe JavaScript using strict.   1 Answer
    • When do you use Group By in SQL?   1 Answer

Research Associate I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received a phone call a few days later to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was with an HR recruiter, they basically tell you how to answer the questions in the real interview. They scheduled a second interview with the hiring manager. The manager asked basic questions which were already outlined by the recruiter. There was also a side by side with a current research associate where you observe their typical workday and are able to ask any questions you may have.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable talking to people on the phone   1 Answer

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in June 2014.

Interview

One on One job shadow with a current employee, then interview with a manager, then a tour of the headquarters in Washington, DC. Lasts a few hours and is fairly straightforward. Not much more than that.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

You first have a point of contact with a recruiter from the company. Then from a hiring manager if approved from the company. It took about a week in a half for me to get a call back. The recruiter does a lot to see if you are a great fit to move forward and schedules the second interview if a hiring manager is interested in your credentials

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the company? How long have you been in sales and how many appointments do you have weekly? Do you work well with a team dynamic with a territory ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in July 2013.

Interview

Fairly intense interview. Wanted to know about experience and motivation to get into real estate. After the phone interview I was told they were going with another candidate but I called the recruiter and basically said that I want the job and ended up getting a chance to go to DC to do some in person interviews and was given the job.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to get into real estate?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

The building is new and glamorous. The HR telephone interview is of great use, however, when it boils down to sit and meet the managers for the final interview you may be left empty and uncertain. I thought that the HR telephone interview was better, more informal and indicative towards receiving full feedback. The HR professional obviously scheduled the whole interview process and should receive a golden star for their effort on recruiting. When you ask them questions about the overall organization of the company, they get defensive about it. This is not a place that one can grow experience, rather seems a repetitive job, even know the job can be done anywhere, telecommuting is not permitted. Again, this is a job that requires 90% phone work and most of the time depending on which region you do make the phone calls, you won't get a response so you skip the callers and move on. Boring, but did not see the creative edge to this job. It's something that one can do at home considering but it's not an option. Managers think that you may know exactly what the job entails by HR which is not true, the HR is there to prepare to kick butt on the interview. You will know what the job entails whenever you do get to sit down with a Researcher and observe their work, that's the bottom line. Overall, managers may ask bad questions, although it wont be mentioned in your critique if you want to know why you did not get hired. It seems offering good answers to questions and then being told otherwise is a huge issue on the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to become a Research Associate.   1 Answer

Research Associate II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

Pretty straightforward, phone interview and in-person. The in-person consists of you meeting with a director, manager, and a research associate. Not very challenging, just prepare and you will do fine.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Could not negotiate at all.