CoStar Group Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 11, 2017

2.5

108 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in August 2015.

Interview

The hiring process was pretty quick and from the time I submitted my resume to final decision took about 2 weeks. The first interview was a quick screening interview via phone that took about 20 minutes and from there I was asked to come in for an in-office interview. There were three other candidates and the whole interview took about 3 hours. Started off with an HR overview of the job, shadowing of a real research associate, and then finally a one-on-one interview with a Research Manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Rockville, MD) in July 2015.

Interview

They do not take your resume into consideration and the experiences you have acquired. In case you want to be stuck on a phone calling clients 60% of the time doing some marketing, then stay with Costar. If you want a career path, then move on and search somewhere else because Costar is not worth it.

Interview Questions

• What is the Research Associate Role?   1 Answer

I do not see myself in a marketing role

Research Associate I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received a phone call a few days later to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was with an HR recruiter, they basically tell you how to answer the questions in the real interview. They scheduled a second interview with the hiring manager. The manager asked basic questions which were already outlined by the recruiter. There was also a side by side with a current research associate where you observe their typical workday and are able to ask any questions you may have.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable talking to people on the phone   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview was very cordial but I felt as though the posting was highly dishonest. This is advertised as a 'research' position where you will gain technical knowledge of the real estate industry. I have an advanced degree and recently moved to the area. I have experience in research and applied to a large number of research type jobs in the area at e.g. Booz Allen, Deloitte etc.

However, when the interviewer started talking about research and analysis it became clear that she didn't know what those words mean in a professional context. She told me you do research by googling things and entering the answers into a database. I was then told that you spend 60% of your time at this place on the phone asking real estate brokers questions. Also not research.

I came to the conclusion that this position has nothing to do with research and has virtually no opportunity for career advancement. If you just need a job for some money this is fine. If you want a career or to gain skills, this is not the place for you.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

This interview process was very long and extensive.

- 45 minute phone screening
    -In person interview done in 3 parts : HR / Recruiting Overview, side by side with a Research Associate (Mock phone call and simple excel exercise where they ask you to sort), and a panel interview( Two people from management).

Though the process was long, it was pleasant for the most part. The only issue I had was with the lack of professionalism when it came to letting the people you've interviewed know that you didn't see them fit for the position. They assure you that they will let you know their decision in the coming days but you don't hear from them unless they are sending an offer. All thank you and follow up letters are ignored. Even the recruiter who made empty promises and called/emailed you often to make sure you get to the interview doesn't respond. Jobs I didn't even get interviews for have the decency to send letters. A simple email takes two-seconds to write. It ruins the whole experience and leaves a negative outlook on the company.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in commercial real estate?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to quickly adjust to a changing situation. How did you handle that?   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Very short phone interview, followed by skype interview, followed by in person interview with research managers. You will often end up working for one of the managers that interview you, but not always.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

It was a basic interview process. It started with about 20-25 minute relaxed phone interview. If you are invited for an onsite interview, you have a brief tour of the facility, job shadow with a current research associate, have a mock phone call exercise (basically read from a script) do a panel interview and then you are done.

Client Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in February 2015.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me and set up a Phone Interview. I did the interview and never heard back from them. I sent a follow up email but recieved no response there either. It is common curtesy to atleast confirm or deny I'm still in the running for the position especially since they contacted me.

Product Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied through a recruiter. I had a standard phone screen with the HR and then was scheduled for an immediate face to face with the hiring manager. In-person interview went well. It was more of a conversation than an interview. Hiring manager gave my recruiter feedback that they wanted me and had eliminated all other candidates. The final step would be a meet and greet with the CEO himself Mr. Florance. That's when everything stopped. Costar never reached back out to my recruiter or me. After a month we became was confused and frustrated. To this day, we never heard from Costar after that. How can I be essentially chosen as the best candidate and then left in the dark? Very unprofessional ending to what seemed would be the start of a great relationship.

Product Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview process was actually pretty quick. Everything seemed to be well organized and the process ran really smooth from initial talks to final interviews. Everyone I met with was super friendly and when it came down to the end of the final interview, I felt like all the questions I had when I walked in were answered in how thorough they were about the role

Interview Questions

• They asked questions in regards to what my past experiences were like in previous jobs and the types of skills I learned and utilized along the way.   Answer Question