Cogo Labs Quantitative DATA ANALYST Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cogo Labs Quantitative DATA ANALYST Interview Questions

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Cogo Labs (Aurora, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

Shortly after finishing my application online, I was contacted by the company's recruiting coordinator. I set up a phone interview with her set in a few day's time. The recruiting coordinator called promptly at the agreed time, and we discussed my qualifications and some of my past experience. I asked about the work atmosphere and what the daily routine is like, which she answered. After this, she told me that she would talk to the team and get back to me.

Interview Questions

Cogo Labs Response

Aug 24, 2016 – VP, Talent & Culture

Thank you for writing a review! We appreciate hearing about your experience.

Other Interview Reviews for Cogo Labs

Quantitative Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cogo Labs in August 2016.

Interview

Simple 10 min phone call for resume screening with recruiter going over my background and talking about what the company does and gave me time to answer questions myself.

Interview Questions

Cogo Labs Response

Sep 14, 2016 – VP, Talent & Culture

Thanks for applying! Glad to hear you had a positive experience ^_^

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cogo Labs (Cambridge, MA) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview process was fairly extensive - I had a phone screen, a one-hour onsite interview, another three-hour onsite interview, and then a final phone interview with the leader of the team I was interviewing with. Overall it was a great experience; all onsite interviews were done by the employees that I would be working with on a daily basis, so I was able to learn a lot about what "a day in the life" at Cogo was like. The process only lasted about two or three weeks for me, but that was mostly because I was rushing them along due to a pending offer from another company.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to take the interviewers through my resume and the interview was mostly a conversation based around things that would come up on my resume. Each interview felt more like a relaxed conversation than an interview, and I got to know the interviewers just as much as they got to know me.   1 Answer

Aug 25, 2016 – VP, Talent & Culture

Thank you so much for the review! We're thrilled to hear you had such a positive experience. Having the experience feel more like a conversation than an interview is the goal.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cogo Labs (Boston, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

This was for a position with Cognius. I submitted a resume on a lark in late April. The description of the position said something about hiring "the best minds in data" or something similar and I applied more out of curiosity of whether or not my resume was good enough to get a call back than actually thinking I would leave my current job for this one. I received an email in early June apologizing for the delay in communication, saying they would like to schedule a phone interview for me with the Director of Analytics.

I booked a time, and received a call, not from the Director of Analytics, but an analyst on the team. After a super-brief exchange of "hellos" and "glad it's the weekend" type pleasantries, the interviewer launched into a brain teaser. The brain teaser can be found by googling "Opening / Closing 100 Locker Doors". I was caught a little off guard since I haven't done a brain teaser-type question in quite a long time and failed to give a good answer.

I later found out it's just a square root question and felt slightly embarrassed about failing to recognize it as such. After about 10 mins or so of my stammering and stumbling, the interviewer gave up, explained the answer in a way that felt slightly condescending (maybe I was just bitter and embarrassed about my poor performance), and ended the interview.

All in all, the interview was very brief and I didn't get a chance to talk about my experience at all, it was literally just pleasantries and the brain teaser. The experience felt slightly dehumanizing and unpleasant in the immediate aftermath, but the more I think about it, I guess they know what they're looking for and don't want to waste time on the other stuff.

In the end, while I currently do well in my job in reporting/data analysis, I'm not sure I'm as much of a math-head as what they might be looking for. I get the feeling that maybe they wanted the type of person who can recite pi to the 25th digit, or the kind of people who do mathematical brain teasers for fun, rather than a business-minded person that can get their hands dirty with data to analyze problems/solutions and drive decision-making.

Interview Questions

• Only two questions:
      1) How are you?
      2) The aforementioned brain teaser.
      1 Answer

Jul 20, 2015 – Director, Talent Development

Thank you for the feedback! Although Cognius is currently one of the companies within our incubator, they're really their own company, separate from Cogo Labs. Cogo is not involved in their hiring ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Cogo Labs (Cambridge, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

First round phone call with recruiter, just going over resume. Second phone call with senior analyst, lasted about an hour discussing resume and doing a brainteaser. Third round in office, three different interviews each with two analysts, same format as the second phone call. Everyone was friendly enough, but some questions felt like they were trying to lull me into saying the wrong thing. Didn't get an offer; tried to politely ask recruiter for any feedback and got no response.

Interview Questions

• simple behavioral stuff, questions about my resume/educational background, brainteasers   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Cogo Labs (Cambridge, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

Was put in contact with the recruiter by a current employee. I gave her my resume and set up an interview with a senior analyst in which I talked about my resume, what he did at Cogo, and solved a brain teaser. A little over a week later I was contacted again by the recruiter to set up an interview at the office in Cambridge. Consisted of discussing my resume and solving more brain teasers with several more analysts. Received my offer by phone a week later.

Interview Questions

• Several brain teasers, the goal of which is to evaluate your problem solving approach. Familiarity with basic statistics and calculus should be fine.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cogo Labs (Cambridge, MA) in November 2014.

Interview

I met them at a job fair. They called me in for an in person interview. It was with two people from one of their teams. No need to dress up past business casual; no one was in suits. Some technical questions and some about my experience. Later they brought me in for 3 back to back hour long interviews. The same format. I didn't end up getting a position, but later I got an email from Cognius, one of the companies they incubated.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your experience.   1 Answer
    • Explain to us what you did in this data analysis project. Walk us through it.   Answer Question

Quantitative Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cogo Labs.

Interview

First round was a call with one of the senior analysts. Consisted of talking about my interests and explaining what the incubator does. It really is an interesting business model and it's worth learning more about it through the interview process. At the end we did a fairly simple brainteaser question. Just a basic algorithm question.

Next round (4 days later) was on-site with two analysts each from a different team. Seemed a bit redundant, but we talked about myself, some machine learning stuff, and did a more involved brainteaser. It was pretty easy (assuming you're solid on calc and probability theory) so we did a harder generalized variant of the original question.

Got an offer 2 days later.

Really good impression of the place... everyone I talked to was clearly very smart and loved working there.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not a lot of leeway for negotiation, but the place looks really cool so I caved.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cogo Labs (Boston, MA).

Interview

Had initial phone screening, then another phone interview where I got a brain teaser/riddle question. I didn't do well on it so I never heard back. Google got rid of their brain teaser questions after a quantitative data analysis revealed that it had no predictive power in employee selection (see http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2013/06/google-skips-waste-of-time-brainteaser-interview-questions/). Brain teasers test people who are good at solving brain teasers, not who is good at manipulating data. Ask me to do a live Python or R session aimed at deriving insight into a data question and I'll do well at it, but I am not good at riddle/brain teaser type questions.

Interview Questions

• Brain teaser/riddle, not going to share   1 Answer

Quantitative Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cogo Labs.

Interview

I got an email to schedule a phone interview. Hiring manager did not call at the scheduled time. I called the office to see if I could reschedule but nobody picked up the phone. I then sent an email asking for another time to speak and got a reply the next day. My energy drained.