Coherent Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 6, 2018

2.5

Test Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Coherent (Santa Clara, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

The interview was ~ 3 hours. It breaks into several sessions. In each session, I was assigned to talk with 1-2 interviewers with different background: marketing, technology (optical / mechanical), and production / manufacture, etc. They asked me some questions about my research / coursework in school, and some basic background about ultrafast lasers (mainly, femtoseconds laser). Everyone was nice and friendly.

Interview Questions

• -Why do you think you are a good fit?
      -Some basic questions about ultrafast lasers: how do you achieve mode-locking in your pico-second/femtosecond laser?   Answer Question

Firmware Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Coherent (Santa Clara, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

I went through a series of interviews (4 I believe), with various people from the team I'd be working with. No real technical questions, most people just wanted to discuss relevant experience on my resume and my goals and interests.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Coherent (Hartford, CT) in June 2012.

Interview

Applied to online through their website. Received a call for the first round/screening interview. Most questions were based on projects and course works. Also had few technical questions. About a month later received an email to schedule on-site interview.
    Had to do ~45min technical presentation on my coursework/projects and thesis in front of approx. 15 people. Had quick plant tour and lunch with employees.
    Then 5 2:1 interview each lasting about an hour. Most questions were based on my experience and resume although some of them asked me more technical questions.
    FYI, if you are given an option to choose either drive or fly there, choose to go there by plane. I drove about 5 hours to get there but they didn't reimburse.

Senior Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Coherent (Santa Clara, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

the interview process was quick and very informative. Good HR recruiting team on board that knew about the company and was able to talk about culture, business, products, services, etc.... hiring manager was informative on the position and company culture. All my questions were answered.

Senior Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Coherent (Santa Clara, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

After a phone interview, two lunch meetings with hiring manager and his boss, and a formal interview with hiring manager and four directors of the business unit. Interview was casual

Interview Questions

• What is the book you read lately   1 Answer

Senior Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Coherent (Santa Clara, CA) in May 2009.

Interview

small group 1:1, then production manager introduction

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Coherent (San Jose, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

Free flowing open communication between business unit controller. The questions are direct and not to difficult. Be prepare to talk abut your experience directly related to the role. The BU controller had proper tone and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• What interest me about the role   1 Answer

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Coherent (Santa Clara, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

2 people interview about the role. Questions relating about my experience and manufacturing. Not to many technical questions. Some of the management in other areas oversell the position but it turns out a reporting machine position.

Interview Questions

• Traditional question about experience and overcoming difficult situations   Answer Question

Negotiation

Depends on the manager

Senior Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Interview

On site interview with hiring manage and potential peers.

Interview Questions

• Describe a solution that was novel and how you came about solving this solution.   Answer Question

Senior Optical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Coherent (Portland, OR) in December 2009.

Interview

A group interview, mostly going over resume and work experience. 2 technical questions that weren't too difficult. People were nice, up beat and encouraging. Not a firing line.

Interview Questions

• Technical question relating to the splitting/combining of two laser beams with slightly different wavelengths.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much negotiation room. A little on signing bonus/salary, but other perks were not. Vacation is week at 2 weeks/year.