Coherent Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Coherent Interview Questions

Updated Jul 4, 2017

2.7

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Coherent.

Interview

Interview with 5 people in 30 minutes slots (1 on 1s). Very conversational and not very technical (advertised targeting new graduates). Mostly common interview questions (strengths, weaknesses, career goals, etc). Each interviewer appeared to focus on a different part of a resume for the entire time slot.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had a conflicting opinion with a person while working on a project and how you tended to resolve the issue?   1 Answer
    • What did you like about your major?   Answer Question

Laser Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomfield, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Coherent (Bloomfield, CT) in June 2016.

Interview

I was called in for an "informal" interview with the hiring manager, for a meet and greet with the company and position. I then received a call back for a formal interview, which included a team lunch and technical presentation. I rate this interview as one of the more difficult interviews I've been on, since they have you at the facility all day in both formal and informal settings.

Test Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Coherent (Santa Clara, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

The interview was ~ 3 hours. It breaks into several sessions. In each session, I was assigned to talk with 1-2 interviewers with different background: marketing, technology (optical / mechanical), and production / manufacture, etc. They asked me some questions about my research / coursework in school, and some basic background about ultrafast lasers (mainly, femtoseconds laser). Everyone was nice and friendly.

Interview Questions

• -Why do you think you are a good fit?
      -Some basic questions about ultrafast lasers: how do you achieve mode-locking in your pico-second/femtosecond laser?   Answer Question

Senior Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Interview

On site interview with hiring manage and potential peers.

Interview Questions

• Describe a solution that was novel and how you came about solving this solution.   Answer Question

Quality Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Coherent (Boston, MA) in August 2013.

Interview

It was lengthy. There were multiple days of interviews with multiple team members. It was quite some time before an offer was made. There was a plant tour and a good explanation of the company products and divisional product lines.

Office Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Coherent (Santa Clara, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

The hiring manager was extremely professional, organized and knew what he wanted in an applicant.
    The HR department did all they could to steer me away. If not for the hiring manager, and his boss, I would not have accepted the position. The HR questions were inappropriate and not applicable to the position. The HR rep did not read my resume to understand why the hiring manager wanted to hire me.

Interview Questions

• Do I understand how this is much different from teaching (which I left after 6 years). I had 11 years experience at HP, and 7 years at Apple, both in operations, mid level positions.   1 Answer

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Coherent (San Jose, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

Free flowing open communication between business unit controller. The questions are direct and not to difficult. Be prepare to talk abut your experience directly related to the role. The BU controller had proper tone and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• What interest me about the role   1 Answer

RF Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Windsor, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Coherent (Windsor, CT).

Interview

2 phone interviews, one from team manager, and the other from technique staff, ppl on the same position. Then goes to onsite interview. You will be asked to present your work that has been done.
    During on site interview, questions are very general. Some of them will be related to your work, others might be related to the reason you apply for this position, and your attitude.

Interview Questions

• Not really hard questions. One of the tech asked very specific questions about circuit design, which is directly related to the real problem they are facing.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Coherent (Hartford, CT) in June 2012.

Interview

Applied to online through their website. Received a call for the first round/screening interview. Most questions were based on projects and course works. Also had few technical questions. About a month later received an email to schedule on-site interview.
    Had to do ~45min technical presentation on my coursework/projects and thesis in front of approx. 15 people. Had quick plant tour and lunch with employees.
    Then 5 2:1 interview each lasting about an hour. Most questions were based on my experience and resume although some of them asked me more technical questions.
    FYI, if you are given an option to choose either drive or fly there, choose to go there by plane. I drove about 5 hours to get there but they didn't reimburse.

Firmware Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Coherent (Santa Clara, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

I went through a series of interviews (4 I believe), with various people from the team I'd be working with. No real technical questions, most people just wanted to discuss relevant experience on my resume and my goals and interests.