Cole-Parmer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 6, 2017

3.1

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vernon Hills, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cole-Parmer (Vernon Hills, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

I worked with an external recruiter on this process. He contacted me regarding the opening, and I spoke with him on the phone about the position. He submitted me to their HR department, and from there, I had a 30 minute phone call with someone in HR. After that, I had another hour long discussion with the hiring manager and then went into the office for a two hour interview. I met with 4 people for 30 minutes each.

After that, I never heard back from the company regarding the job, even after following up with my external recruiter and him following back up with the Cole-Parmer. It was radio silence. I completely understand that everyone is busy and does not have time to get back to each person individually, but in my opinion, if someone takes half a day off of work to come meet with your team after multiple phone interviews, it's very rude to just not give them an answer one way or the other or any sort of feedback. Ultimately, I'm glad I didn't get offered the job because if they are going to treat potential hires that way and not be appreciative of the time given, then what does that say about how they value their employees' time?

Interview Questions

• Walk me through a project you worked on or spearheaded where you had to collaborate across multiple teams, and explain how it turned out.   Answer Question

Payroll Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vernon Hills, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cole-Parmer (Vernon Hills, IL).

Interview

Had 3 people ask a lot of questions for 1.5 hours and no one ever responded to emails afer the interview. They could have at least responded saying I didn't get the job. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Asked about difficult situations and how to overcome it.   Answer Question

Technical Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rockford, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cole-Parmer (Rockford, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

Phone screen; discussed past experiences as well as interest in the company, and the job role. Was asked questions about experiences in resume, interest, and pay. Talked about technical experiences as well.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cole-Parmer (Irving, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

I applied through the internet, and HR replied really fast. After a brief screen phone interview, they arranged the second phone interview with me. For the second round, there are two people. One is a senior data analyst, and he is very rude. He barely knows about my academic field, but he pretended he knows everything. He didn't pay attention to my explaining my research projects, and raise ridiculous questions on the projects. The second lady is nice and friendly, we had a great talk. But overall, I think the man is the one who get to decide.
    After two weeks, I haven't heard anything from the company. So I wrote email to hr to follow up with it. And received a reject mail right away.
    Overall, the interview experience with this company is negative. I think that's the difference between big and small company.

Product Applications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cole-Parmer (Vernon Hills, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

After a phone interview with HR which was conveniently scheduled prior to my work shift and lasted about 45 minutes, I was invited to a face to face interview the following week. The actual interview lasted 2.5 hours, so I only needed to take a half day off work. The interview included 30 minute meeting with the same HR lady that I spoke with on the phone, 30 minutes shadowing someone to get a feel for the job, about an hour with two supervisors and another 30 minutes with the manager. Everyone was very nice and all the questions were related to what I've done and how it applies to the job. The job is focused on a mixture of customer service and technical support and my background along with my education were a good fit for what they were looking for.

Interview Questions

• What would you do with a difficult, angry customer?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if two separate supervisors or managers needed a project completed by the same deadline and there was no way for you to complete both projects by the deadline?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I received a call from HR one week after the interview offering me the job. The salary was higher than I expected so I accepted instantly. I started two weeks later so I was able to give two weeks notice to my previous employer.

Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vernon Hills, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Cole-Parmer (Vernon Hills, IL) in January 2013.

Interview

Contacted by arecruiter.Initially had a phone screen with HR.Simple questions about your back ground and your interests and salary.
    next is F2F interview--Mostly technical.very deapth technical interview.Questions are
    1)where do you declare application variables in asp.net
    2)session management in load balanced environment
    3)asks you to design schema for a case
    4)asks you to write quesries using on your own schems
    5)one question on LINQ(sorting collections)
    6)questions on LINQtoSql classes
    7)global.asax

Interview Questions

• session management in load balanced environment   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vernon Hills, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cole-Parmer (Vernon Hills, IL) in March 2012.

Interview

A phone interview followed by and face to face with HR. Then a call back for a face to face with two managers.
    Behaviorl type interview, you should have a lot of examples.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time you worked under pressure. Did you succeed?   Answer Question
    • How would you handle a situation where a co-worker was not pulling their weight?   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

Interview

Telephone chat. Then Face to face interview discuss CV and competency questions .

Tour around the site. The staff were friendly, walked through the office and introduced to all departments

Technical Support Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cole-Parmer in January 2014.

Interview

very long process.... phone interview, one on one and interview with regional manager

Sales Representative Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cole-Parmer in June 2010.

Interview

Long process, each step was seperate by a couple of weeks.
    First, a phone screening interview, lasting about 15min.
    Then, a 1:1 interview with a manager along with a skill test.
    Finally, another phone interview with the national account manager.

All questions were typical interview questions (strenghts, weaknesses, career plan, etc.) rather than behavioral.

They did not even tell me the outcome at the end. It was not important in my case since I got another offer.