Coles Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Coles Interview Questions

Updated Mar 8, 2017

2.3

Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Coles (Sydney (Australia)) in March 2017.

Interview

I got a phone call to go to coles store for an intervew. I was interviewed by a manager. It is an one to one interview. The manager first asked me to give a brief introduction of myself, and then he asked me about my past work experience and the reasons that I want to work for coles.

Retail Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Coles (Melbourne (Australia)).

Interview

Group testing process. Time limit on solving maths and customer scenarios. There was no typical interview as this was an entry level, casual job for check out at the Coles store. It was a skills test where they were looking for speed and accuracy. Out of the 40 applicants there was 8-10 people hired

Night Fill Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, New South Wales (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Coles (Richmond, New South Wales (Australia)) in January 2017.

Interview

- Group Interview with 5 other people
    - Quite laid back, everyone introduced themselves
    - After the group interview had finished, we each were interviewed 1 on 1
    - Went for about 15 minutes

Personal Shopper Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brisbane (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Coles (Brisbane (Australia)) in January 2017.

Interview

It was very casual and comfortable! Goes for 20 minutes and was a one on one interview. I didnt struggle at all but that's because I went through glass door at possible questions

Interview Questions

• What is customer service to you?   1 Answer
    • Tell me a time you worked in a team   1 Answer
    • Tell us a time you showed initiative   1 Answer
    • Describe a time a customer was upset and how you dealt with that   1 Answer
    • What is your avaliability   Answer Question

Nightfill Interview

Anonymous Employee in Canberra (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Coles (Canberra (Australia)) in December 2016.

Interview

A new Coles store was opening soon and about 75 positions were available. I applied online and got invited to a group interview one or two days before the applications closed which means they already fulfilled their quota! There were SO MANY people who applied, they needed about six sessions over two days for the interviews.

Some of the questions were weird, like there was one about how we would survive locked up in a Coles store during a zombie apocalypse. I believe the answers were not as important, for they were looking to see how well you interacted with others in a team. Everyone at my table were very nice, so I was worried I wouldn't get a job offer, but after about two weeks I got the call! Attending my induction next month!

Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Coles (Sydney (Australia)) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Received an email for a face to face interview. Arrived 20 minutes early and waited in hall. (eavesdropped on person before me lol) Person being interview before me finished early so I was called to come in a few mintues before i was scheduled. HR went through 10-15 questions and wrote down important notes from my answers. Many of my answers referred back to my previous work experience so he asked if he was allowed to call my referree (previous employee) after the interview had ended. Overall took about 10 minutes

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you have made a mistake and what you did about it   Answer Question

Night Fill Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Coles (Perth, Western Australia (Australia)) in November 2016.

Interview

Oct 25 - Applied online
    Oct 28 - received an email saying I've been short-listed for an interview
    Nov 6 - missed their call
    Nov 7 - they called again, booked an interview for Nov 10

The interview was quite easy overall, turned up on time and was taken to the back of the store. The manager asked me about uni, whether I liked it or not, my past work experiences, what role i was applying for and my availability. Got an email on the Monday after my interview (it was on a Thursday) saying I didn't get the position but dats cool.

Store Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunshine West (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Coles (Sunshine West (Australia)) in November 2016.

Interview

Online aplication. Couple of days later I've got email saying I am shortlisted for interview . one on one interview 3-4 days later . Got offer on my email and accepted contract and all other details online .Two weeks later an induction.induction was great . Very informative with two managers . They were very friendly and positive . Will start working next week .

Interview Questions

• Why Coles?
      Tell us a little bit about yourself ?
      How would you deal with an angry customer?
      Your availability?
      In which department would you like to work?
      Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation except asking to have no less then 15 hours per week.

Night Fill Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brisbane (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Coles (Brisbane (Australia)) in November 2016.

Interview

Group Interview, asked a few questions, went around group to answer, asked to fill in form and state hours available to work, very laid back interview process, very friendly approach to being interviewed

Interview Questions

• Level of experience and where we would like to work within store   1 Answer

Store Team Member - NEW STORE Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gold Coast (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Coles (Gold Coast (Australia)) in October 2016.

Interview

Application to Induction took 6 weeks.

SEPTEMBER:
    7th - Applied online
    19th - Email: Applicants being sorted through
    20th - Email: Group Interview invitation

OCTOBER:
    5th - Group Interview (4 time slots)
    7th - Email: 1 on 1 Interview invitation
    9th - 1 on 1 interview (10mins)
    14th - Call: Job Offer
    20th - Induction

-GROUP INTERVIEW-
    Relaxed atmosphere, fun interview. 1hr 30mins.
    *Estimated 50 people per group interview
    *Randomly split into groups of 7 or 8
    *1 supervisor per table
    *Whole interview conducted within your small group
    *Coles staff introduce themselves
    *Manager gives everyone a topic and time frame, we all speak between ourselves at the table about the topics while supervisor watches and takes notes.
    Topics:
    -Introduce yourself
    -What position you're applying for
    -Random questions (in question box)
    -Selling an item to your group
    -Most memorable meal
    -Team activity (Seeing how well you work in a team) Ours was what things we'd need in a Zombie Apocalypse if our store went into lock down (seeing how we worked together on what items and needed and what positions we would have in the team)
    -Filling in availability sheet and handing birth cert/passport copies

-1 on 1-
    A little more intimidating, but able to show more of yourself as an individual and not as a team. (10mins)
    -Store manager ask questions
    -Supervisor on the side taking notes, making the process alot quicker
    -The usual, why us?,why you?, why this position? Type of questions.

BE CONFIDENT. Be yourself. Be prepared for all kinds of questions. Show that you can work as a team and also work great by yourself. Make yourself stand out, make a joke. Be remembered. I was in first group of interviews so impressed when I got the 1 on 1 interview as I was sure all the first lot would be forgotten.

Interview Questions

• What kind of food are you most like and why?   1 Answer
    • Whats your most memorable meal and why? Write down 3 words that describe how this made you feel.
      Something you cooked, your family cooked, you ate somewhere.
      1 Answer