College of American Pathologists Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 29, 2016

2.9

Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at College of American Pathologists (Washington, DC) in October 2016.

Interview

I was interviewing for a position in the CAP DC office and found the interview process to be very disorganized and unprofessional. The HR contact reached out to me to set up an interview before she had the employees schedule set so there was a lot of back and forth. When I went to the interview I arrived about 15 minutes early, 8:45 a.m. (standard time frame to arrive) and there was no one there to answer the locked door. I rang the bell twice and it was over 5 minutes before someone arrived, and they were not apologetic. The other frustrating issue is that when I told them that I was there for an interview they seemed confused and when I told them who I was meeting with they said he had not arrived at the office yet. If I know that I am interviewing someone in the morning I make it a point to arrive early to the office so that I can meet them. Additionally, he was late, the interview started 15 minutes after we were slated to meet. It seemed like a blatant disregard for my time. After that interview I received a call from the HR contact requesting to set up a Skype interview with some employees in their Illinois office. Even though I was feeling turned off from the first interview I thought it was important to give it a second chance. We confirmed a time for a Friday in the late afternoon. Once again I was ready to receive their call at the set interview time and I ended up waiting. I reached out to the HR contact about 5 minutes past our set time only for her to tell me that the employee I was meeting with was running late as he was in another meeting. Again, if I know that I have an interview scheduled and someone is waiting on the line, I politely leave my other meeting so as not to make some one wait. Another blatant disregard for my time. The interview was supposed to begin at 4pm EST and we did not start until 4:30 EST. Therefore, my hour time with him was cut short as I was slated to speak with someone else at 5. The person that I spoke to at 5 I felt was completely unprofessional. She asked questions that were way out of line and frankly in a rude tone. I would not recommend this organization, seems to be disorganized and not the warmest group of people and they certainly did not make it sound like an inviting place to work.

Interview Questions

• Why was I interested in leaving my current position?
      How does the work that I am currently doing match the requirements of this position?
      Answer Question

College of American Pathologists Response

Dec 6, 2016 – Senior Manager, Enterprise Communications

Thank you for taking the time to describe your experience in detail. The information is very helpful as we assess what happened to ensure others do not have a similar experience and that future ... More

Technical Specialist I - Surveys Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northfield, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at College of American Pathologists (Northfield, IL) in May 2016.

Interview

Had a brief phone interview with HR about 4 days after I submitted an online application. About two weeks later I had an in-person interview with HR, the department manager, staff members who were in-person and working from home (via teleconference), and the department director. The questions were formal and pre-written. I believe my responses were being scored. At the end of the two hour interview, the director asked if I was keeping my options open for other positions outside of the company. I received an email about 2 weeks later saying other candidates are being considered for the position.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle working with a team where all participants have different ideas on how to complete the task?   Answer Question

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northfield, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at College of American Pathologists (Northfield, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

A month ago I submitted my resume for a Marketing Specialist position at the College of American Pathologists (CAP). Had a very good phone interview with a Marketing person. Right after the phone interview, an HR person emailed me and asks me to come in for a face-to-face interview. The day before the interview; which was scheduled a week and a half prior, I emailed the HR person to confirm the next day’s interview. The HR person didn't respond until almost 5 pm to tell me "the Marketing person had decided to take a different direction with their team and they were eliminating the Marketing Specialist role." I wonder when were they planning on letting me know that they were cancelling the interview?...when I showed up at CAP's office at 10 am the next morning. If I hadn't sent a confirmation, I suspect that's what would have happened.

Interview Questions

• During the phone interview the Marketing person asked me if I could provide confidential documentation (Marketing Brief) from my former employer.   1 Answer

Web Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northfield, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at College of American Pathologists (Northfield, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

I first learned about the opportunity through a recruiter that works with CAP. I was connected with the hiring manager for a phone interview. The phone interview went well and I was asked to an in-person interview at their Northfield headquarters. I interviewed with three people: The HR director, the person whose role the new candidate would fill so that she would be able to move into a different area, and finally the hiring manager. The candidate before me (who ended up getting the job) was held over about 15 minutes into my interview slot. Obviously the hiring manager was impressed with this person. Overall I thought our conversation went well; I think the conversation with the previous candidate just went better and/or the skill set may have been a slightly better fit for them.

Interview Questions

• I was asked how I would respond to certain scenarios that were apparently real scenarios that had happened - they wanted to know what steps I would take and any adjustments I might think of. This went well, and both the principal and the manager did a good job of explaining what the day-to-day tasks would be like.   Answer Question

Marketing Content Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Deerfield, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at College of American Pathologists (Deerfield, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

Long! I was expected to be in the office for 3.5 hours for my first interview. I met with two different panels of two people, and then with my potential manager (who's husband [a non-employee] walked in and interrupted the meeting). At the end, I was supposed to meet with a gentleman from HR, who never showed up.

Interview Questions

• They didn't ask any questions that weren't basic, related to past experience, skills, etc.   Answer Question

Finance Division Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northfield, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at College of American Pathologists (Northfield, IL).

Interview

Initial contact was voicemail left by a staffing specialist, who initially left my phone number as her call back number. I then had a phone interview with another staffing specialist. Woman was very pleasant, no difficult questions, gave a good indication of the culture, who would succeed, etc. She said she would follow up if the hiring manager wanted to bring me in for an in person interview.

I was called back within a couple weeks to schedule an in-person interview. I was told 1:30pm, arrived at 1:15pm, and no one came to get me until 1:45pm. Interview started with meeting with staffing specialist, then met with HR Business Partner for over an hour. Nice person. Very informative of the culture, training, expectations for managers and team members.

Next was interview with hiring manager. Met for over an hour. Gave good indication of expectations, why role was open, where team was headed.

I sent my thank you notes, received replies from two of the people I met with that I would hear from them "next month", and that I was "in the running for the position".

I saw the job be reposted several times across multiple job boards. I have yet to hear from them, despite the dreaded "you're in the running" comment. After a month I followed up with an email to see where they were in the process and I have not heard back from them. Obviously communication is not that important to them.

Interview Questions

• Explain your management style.   1 Answer

Finance Division Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at College of American Pathologists.

Interview

Long, drawn out and tetious.
    I interviewed with like 8 people. Many of them asked me the same questions over and over again.
    The whole process took an entire day.
    I didn't hear back from them for months and I never really knew why.
    Once they made an offer, there was little negotiation on salary and they wanted me to start immediatly.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Northfield, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at College of American Pathologists (Northfield, IL).

Interview

Hiring process is thorough and provides an overall introduction to the organization and the position of interest.

Negotiation

Fair and competitive

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at College of American Pathologists.

Interview

Jerky and haphazard; unpredictable lapses in communication from their side

Interview Questions

• We would like you to interpret our strategy for social media (but it kept changing)   Answer Question

The discussion took place over several months and it became apparent that they would not be ready to execute, so I broke off negotiation.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Northfield, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at College of American Pathologists (Northfield, IL) in September 2011.

Interview

Staffing Specialist was professional, attentive, and knowledgeable. Accessible for feedback and status. Overall, recruitment experience was positive. I provided outstanding remarks and feedback on the interview steps during the process and upon hire.

Interview Questions

• Probed deep into experience and applicable skills. Good overall explanation of the role and expectations. Provided me an opportunity to provide specific work examples and experiences that would contribute to the overall success of the organization.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Staffing Specialist presented a welcomed offer to my skills.