Colorado Department of Corrections Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Colorado Department of Corrections Interview Questions

Updated Apr 30, 2017

3.3

Interviews for Top Jobs at Colorado Department of Corrections

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Colorado Department of Corrections.

Interview

I applied online and completed a couple tests, etc. Once I passed those steps I interviewed at Denver Women's Correctional Facility. They had me watch a short video then write as much as I could remember about it. Then I interviewed with two male officers. I was asked straight forward questions, no attempts to confuse me or trip me up. A few days later I received an email letting me know I passed and that I would be heading into backgrounds. That portion went well, and quick! Again, straight forward questions. Just be honest and you'll have nothing to worry about. Remember, these are professionals. They'll find whatever you're trying to hide so just be upfront. A little over a week later I received an email stating I had passed backgrounds and that I was on the eligibility list. That's where I'm at now. Honestly, I'm checking my email at least 5 times a day just waiting to hear about the next step. The waiting is the worst but I know it'll be worth it in the end. The number one piece of advice I can give for this entire process is to check your email often! This is no joke! Almost all of the emails are time sensitive so don't mess around with this part. I'm not sure if anyone can respond to me on here, but if you can: How long after you got placed on the eligibility list were you contacted for the next step?
    Thank you all and best of luck!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had a disagreement with a supervisor. What did you do about it and, if you could go back, would you change anything about your response?   Answer Question

Correctional Officer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Colorado Department of Corrections (Colorado Springs, CO) in November 2015.

Interview

First, it starts out with an online application. After a few days you get an email from HR telling you to fill out a google doc form that basically asked if you can meet all the requirements on your application. (walking, running, bending, etc), after you submit that you will get an email from HR again with a facility location and a time for a "comparative analysis" which is just state talk for an interview with a panel of officers ranging from Lt to Captain and a few admins (in my own experience). I arrived at the prison and only brought in my ID as the rest is considered contraband. I was searched and put though a metal detector before a lady met with me and took me to a computer. I was told to watch a 20 second video and then I would have 10 minutes to write a report on that clip. After the video you are taken to your panel for questions, mostly related to prison situations. After about 30 minutes (around 10 questions) I was released and set on my way. The next day I got an email saying I passed on placed on the eligibility list with a ranking. A few days later I got an email and a call from my background investigator with a set time to do my Integrity interview. That was the most intense part of my whole process. The investigator immidently started to record the conversation. I was handed a stack of papers to sign and give back. I was asked about my employment history, education, criminal history, etc. I did find it odd the investigator tried to trip me up about my employment history. I knew I listed everything on my application and stuck to my guns. I believe this was a test to see if I would confess to something. After that, you get your fingerprints taken and sent to the FBI to see if anything comes back. This whole process lasted about an hour and a half before I was free to go. About a week later I got a call from HR saying I needed to take a pre-employment drug test and see a medical doctor to sign off that I can preform the job. I had to pay this on my own, I went to a clinic and it was $70 for the doctor and $30 for the urine test. I faxed the results back to HR and 2 days later I was offered the position and reported to the training facility 3 weeks later. I was a little put off that the out of state trainees got a urine test for free at the facility. It's only 30 bucks but didn't seem fair to me.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if <Offender> refuses to go to counseling?
      Tell me about a time you disagreed with a supervisor?
      Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Colorado Department of Corrections.

Interview

The Interview process was very streamlined. I found that it was exceptionally quick and thorough. I was an out of state applicant which meant that I qualified for an online interview process. The interviews were conducted over the internet and required the use of a web camera and microphone. I spent approximately 2 months and 1 day in the hiring process from the time I put in an application to when I was offered the job. Overall I was very impressed with the Interview process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about past crimes, specifically those that were undetected?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your past drug use?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you encountered an inmate that did not want to go to a therapy session?   Answer Question
    • Explain a time that you were required to assume a leadership role?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Colorado Department of Corrections in June 2014.

Interview

I was contacted to interview for an admin assistant position two days prior to the interview. The interview experience was very pleasant and down to earth. A group of 5 individuals were present during the interview.

Health Services Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Colorado Department of Corrections (Colorado Springs, CO) in May 2014.

Interview

After being informed you meet minimum requirements you will be scheduled for a back ground check and then an in person interview. The State hiring process can be quiet slow taking up to two-three weeks for these actions to occur.

Interview Questions

• Being a member of a facility management team while working under Clinical Services how will you balance the needs of the correctional facility with the mission of clinical services.   1 Answer

Negotiation

This being a State position there was little room for negotiation of salary. You will go into the interview with the understanding that if an offer is made it will be on the lower end of the pay scale for that particular position. However based on you level of experience your offer may be higher than the bottom end.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Colorado Department of Corrections (Colorado Springs, CO).

Interview

Interviewing was very pleasant, there were two managers present who bounced questions off me and allowed me to answer in the privacy of a small office. Notes were taken but did not detract from the relaxed atmosphere. Two week turnaround from date of interview to date of hire.

Interview Questions

• Tell us why we should hire you.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. They stated that I would receive a certain salary paid on the last business day of each month, and they would brook no discussion of a higher salary since that was the income dictated by State of Colorado.

Corrections Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Colorado Department of Corrections (Colorado Springs, CO) in June 2011.

Interview

1.) Written test.

2.) Physical agility test.

3.) Lie detector test

4.) Serious interviewer with probing questions about reaction to to law enforcement scenarios, interactions with diverse populations and one's personal testimony as to why they would like to be a corrections officer.

Interview Questions

• Is there anything in your background that you believe may be an impediment to you becoming a successful corrections officer? ( you have to be honest with yourself because they, as well as the inmates, will have you under a microscope from the academy to your first week on the job).   1 Answer

Correctional Officer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Colorado Department of Corrections (Colorado Springs, CO) in January 2011.

Interview

Lengthy background check, skills and intelligence test and of course pee in a bottle a few times.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your criminal past: Crimes that you commited that were not detected.   1 Answer
    • Tell us about your use of drugs in the past.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiating. It is a state job, so everyone is paid the same.