Columbia Sussex Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.8

17 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Bartender Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anchorage, AK

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Columbia Sussex (Anchorage, AK) in July 2017.

Interview

Applied online and then invited in for an interview. Filled out application in lobby of hotel and waited for the F&B director for the interview. The interview was fairly straightforward. They ended up offering me a supervisor position but the pay was well below average and they weren't willing to budge. Hired at another property at almost double what they were offering.

Bellman Interview

Anonymous Employee in Farmington, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Columbia Sussex (Farmington, CT) in November 2016.

Interview

I filled out an application and met with the Front Office Manager and General Manager. Face to face interview for them to get to know me and for me to learn about the hotel and job requirements.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Columbia Sussex (Tampa, FL).

Interview

No HR, manipulative and not professional. They seemed to have certain priorities that pushed them to want to fill other positions rather than the one being interviewed for. Thus they sold me on a lesser position and because of this I will be leaving and taking them as serious as they treated me.

Server Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Columbia Sussex.

Interview

Arrived on time for interview and had to wait about 20 minutes for F&B Director. He asked me about my skills, previous experience, and ability to work as a team. After he interviewed me he had his boss the GM interview me. This time the GM asked all of the questions, but the F&B Director remained in the room. The GM tested my general wine knowledge and wine pairings. He also asked me a series of questions geared at testing how strong my skills stated were. The GM told the F&B Director that he approved and the F&B Director told me I was hired. He told me to come back the next day for training and he told me what to get for a uniform. After each interview I was asked if I had any questions. I asked a few questions. I mention this because after I was hired and had been working for the company for a while different managers and directors had discussed how their interviews had gone and they had told me that they had qualified applicants for different jobs that were not hired because they didn't have/ask any questions.

Interview Questions

• Asked me "tell me about yourself" question. They asked if I had any experience, wine knowledge, etc. Mostly they based their questions on my resume.   1 Answer

Manager In Training Interview

Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Columbia Sussex (Anchorage, AK) in June 2015.

Interview

The GM of the Marriott Downtown Anchorage was the one in charge of the interview, it was quite informal; probably 4-5 questions. It took around 20 minutes to close the deal.

Front Office Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Columbia Sussex (Clearwater, FL) in January 2015.

Interview

Straight forward. They purchased the hotel that i was already working at so I was basically interviewing to keep the job that i already had. The regional did all the talking. The GM just sat their starring at me and didn't say anything.

Interview Questions

• What do you bring to the table and are you willing to work for this meager salary?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Management:"Are you willing to work for this (meager) salary?"
    Me: "Can you do a little better than that? I have a degree."
    Management: "That's nice but NO. Take it or leave it."
    (Lowers head in defeat) Me: "Sure. Where do I sign?"

Sales Manager Interview

Interview

I had lunch with the director and the simple interview questions were asked. It was easy.

Front Desk Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Columbia Sussex (Knoxville, TN) in February 2014.

Interview

Applied to the company via a job fair at my univeristy. Met the FOM at their booth.Many of the other managers were present as well. All friendly and very interested in speaking with me. I received a call a couple of days later for an interview. I interviewed with the front office manager and the general manager. They really focused on whether or not I was wiling to stick with the company for a while.

Interview Questions

• Questions mainly based around what I wanted to do with my degree and accomplish in the future.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I received an offer over the phone and I accepted immediately. Making $9.50 an hour in college was great!

Banquet Manager Interview

Interview

Simple with General Manager

Negotiation

Negotiation for salary which was not held up in the long run.

Bartender Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Columbia Sussex (Melville, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

Very easy interview. The director of food and beverage sat me down and asked me a few questions about my prior work experience. I was a qualified bartender but honestly anyone could have gotten a job in this place. The director was running around when I came in and her head was not even into the interview. She told me to come back in 3 days to start work. No other information. Nothing about what I should bring, how long I would be there or anything about the job.

Interview Questions

• How long Have you worked in the service industry   1 Answer