Columbia University Administrative Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 3, 2017

2.1

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online and receive an email to schedule a phone interview about a week after, I had the interview with the person I would be working for so I though that was good since I didn't have to go first through HR. I thought the interview had gone great and when I followed up on the hiring process I never got an answer back. There's is nothing more unprofessional and rude than doing this to a candidate, even if a candidate is not going to be hired they have the right to know where they stand.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Columbia University

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

Easy. Asked me about my experiences and wanted two references. She asked me how I was preparing for this role. She asked me if I had any prior administrative experience. She also asked me why I was interested in business.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I was brought in for a brief interview with what would later become my direct supervisor. There were a few questions about my resume and what some of the technical things on it were. It was very casual. This was only for a temp job, so I imagine it wasn't as official as a permanent hire interview would have been. The interviewer was very pleasant although it was in their office which was a little cramped and shared by a person not involved in the interview.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work the occasional Saturday?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

the interview process is boring, just went over my resume and discussed the benefits of working here.
    minimum pay, lots of responsibility, but new york city is always enjoyable. They would definitely prefer hiring locally.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

I applied through the Jobs at Columbia (JAC) website, but also went into the office that was hiring, just to visit. It turned out it was pretty slow that afternoon and I got to meet and talk with the assistant director who had posted the job. I told him I'd applied for the position there and we got to talk informally about my interest in the job and what the office did. That visit, I believe, is what help set me apart from the other roughly 100 applicants they had for the position. I received an email for an interview maybe a week later.

Interview Questions

• It was a very easy interview, but what helped was that a certain rapport had already been established with the assistant director during that first visit. It also helped that my qualifications were (thankfully) a very close match with what they were seeking.   Answer Question

Negotiation

From the time to accepting the position and beginning my first day took about 2-3 weeks, but it was due to navigating through the human resources red-tape that slowed the process. The negotiation process was straight forward due to the pay grade system Columbia works under, and I was offered the highest in the grade range.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY).

Interview

Interviewed by Program Coordinator and an Associate Director for a position to support a research center, the staff including the Director, and student employees/interns. Questions regarded the multi-faceted position, which also included errands and basic research (online / library). It was a 1 day process and I heard back within a week.

Interview Questions

• Not difficult at all. Asked about my interest in political science and social research. Very engaging experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation

none

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in January 2013.

Interview

I was called and was interviewed by the Associate Director. Later on that day, the Director wanted me to come back to have another interview with three faculty. That evening I received an email by the Associate Director that I got the job.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University in July 2011.

Interview

Applied online through the Job at Columbia website. I was contacted by telephone and asked to come in for an interview. I met with multiple members of the team Individually. A few days later i was contacted for a second interview, one that would include a writing sample. I came in and had to write down the answers to about 3 questions, then met with 3 other members of the team at once.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Columbia University in February 2009.

Interview

The assistant position was a part-time work and the interview was very basic.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Columbia University in January 2009.

Interview

I worked as a temp through a staffing agency then the job I was doing became available so I applied through the columbia website. The interview was not bad because I knew my manager and she was familiar with my work ethic so it was painless. The day of the interview four months into the temp assignment, I still wore a suit and treated as if it was my first time there. I don't have a bad thing to say so far it has been pretty good but this is my first year so............