Columbia University Assistant Director Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Assistant Director

Columbia University Assistant Director Interview Questions

Interviews at Columbia University

Assistant Director Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

After applying online, I was contacted by email almost immediately to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was 30 minutes and I was asked about my resume and interest in the position. After the phone interview was the in-person interview. I sat through three rounds of interviews: one with the team I would be working with, one with the director of the office and one with representatives from the entire staff. Lots of situational/scenario questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

N/A

Other Interview Reviews for Columbia University

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone call with HR representative; initial interview with direct program staff; full day interview with whole department. Entailed a lot of question and answers, some role playing, leading a demo with the target population, and meeting about 20 staff members. Overall it was similar to a standard academic interview though this was not a strictly academic position. The staff was positive and very aware of how exhausting a full day interview is. Still haven't heard anything after this process - despite the fact that the interview was almost 6 months ago now, which makes the whole thing seem like a waste of time, including a full day's work.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online through their job portal. Received an email within a week from the Associate Director of the Business School looking to schedule a phone interview. After that, I was asked to provide a writing sample. Following that, I was invited to NYC (on my dime, from DC) to interview with the Associate Director in person, meet the team, and the Executive Director– the entire process took 4 months and I didn't get the job. In particular the Associate Director strung me along; I had to email every two weeks only to be told she'd have a decision "soon" (took about 2 months of just that rinse and repeat process). Finally was told they chose someone else. I went to Columbia for graduate school for full disclosure. Of the 10 or so applications I sent, I only received 3 interviews for various positions. If they don't want you, they'll never contact you– your resume will just sit there without any change in status.

Interview Questions

• Despite never having worked in academia, why do you feel your background is a good fit? Why do you want to work in academia now?   Answer Question

Assistant Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University in April 2015.

Interview

I had been following the opening for more than a year and saw it advertised on all of the top job sites. Then it went away for about a year and then it started appearing on various job sites again. I filled out the online application and managed to get an introduction to the hiring Director. I did two phone interviews - one with the Director and one later with Director and Associate Director.

The phone interviews and questions were all over the map. I had no reason to think the interviews weren't official, but there was no structure other than being grilled and generally condescended to by the interviewers. I began to realize that this was more of a fishing expedition rather than an interview. I believe they were picking my brain to solve a problem that they were dealing with. No follow-up, didn't respond to a thank you email, never heard from anyone again.

Interview Questions

• The phone interviews and questions were all over the map. I really wasn't sure what was going on because there was no structure other than being grilled and condescended to by a brilliant but arrogant director who didn't like women. I felt instead as if they were picking my brain to solve a problem that they were dealing with. No follow-up, never heard from anyone again. Went above and beyond by doing a live demo and never got any thanks for that either.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

It was ok just the standard questions- I did not like the lack of communication between HR and the hiring manager . The organization seems to believe that the Ivy league status will get A players to take a huge pay-cut to be part of their team ...

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work at Columbia ?   1 Answer

Assistant Director Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

It's all about personal connections. If you know the research and the interests of the director, and you are able to meet him/her beforehand, then they will contact you when they need someone.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

non-existent.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I was contacted via email to schedule a phone interview with the Assistant Dean of the Department. The phone interview was great. I was called in for a face to face interview with the department which took 3 hours. I met with the hiring manager and other members. The kept asking me the same question over and over again which I felt was a lack of communication among each other with preparation. They didn't read my resume prior, however they had them printed and were asking me questions that could of been answered by simply looking at my resume. I didn't hear back from them for two weeks until I emailed the Assistant Dean as a follow up, finally the hiring manager emailed me with a response that they picked another person. I felt the interview was great but I personally don't think I would have fit in with that department. Some were friendly, while others were nonchalant, which made me feel fraught about the department interaction.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your interaction with faculty members?
      Did you have any experience with faculty interaction?
      How do you organize for an event?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

I completed the application online through Columbia's website. A hiring manager followed up via email to schedule a phone screen. Once completed, I was contacted to set up an in-person interview. I received an offer after the in-person interview. The entire process lasted approximately 14 days after the phone screen. I was contacted fairly shortly after I submitted the online application, I would say no more than a week or so.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself and your background. Why do you want to work here? What could you bring in terms of skills? What questions do you have for us?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in April 2012.

Interview

I interviewed with two people from the department in which I would be working in person. It was a collegial environment as I was already an employee with CU. The department was very small with only a total of 5 staff, but worked a great deal with grant research projects that included professors and students. From the job description it was not clear how administrative versus programmatic the job would be, but once the interview began, it was clear this was an administrative role.

Interview Questions

• What was my experience handling payments within the CU finance system?   1 Answer
    • How comfortable I am with working on a small team?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied online and recived call for an interview within a week. Very easy and pleasant experience. Went over past work experiences and asked typical situation questions. Interviewed with the manger directly for about an hour and another manager for 30 mins. When it came to discussing salary, it was significantly low than what you would see in private company with same title. They either need to revise the title or match the salary, at least in ball park, to similar position. I understand that the benefits makes up for some but gap is too big.

Interview Questions

Like others mentioned, salary is low compare to similar position in private company. They need to either revise the title of the position (not assistant director, the position I applied was more like manager) or at least within a range close to the title.