Columbia University Career Counselor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Columbia University Career Counselor Interview Questions

Interviews at Columbia University

3.5

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Phone screening interview first and was called in for second round in-person interview. Had to answer series of behavioral and fit questions in a group setting and also give a presentation

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Columbia University

Career Counselor Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

Responded to an ad, the director called to schedue an interview. She asked three generic questions that did not have much to do with the actual job, and then said thanks for coming. I didn't get a chance to ask any questions. I'm not sure why they called me for an interview.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in June 2010.

Interview

Email invitation for phone interview; 20-minute phone interview with specific team; second interview day - meet with Dean of the center followed by a presentation (on a career-related topic) to and interview by a group.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions; standard questions about why Columbia, why career counseling, working with challenging students/clients, collaboration.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation re: salary.

Career Counselor Interview

Application

The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University in December 2010.

Interview

The first phase was a phone interview with basic background questions like why do you want to work here, what do you know about our institution and why should we hire you. In the second phase, I met with the small team that I would be working with and it was more conversational than anything else. In the third phase I had to do any presentation of my choosing to the whole center staff.

Interview Questions

• What are your expectations of what it would be like to work with the Columbia population?   Answer Question
    • What is your philosophy of counseling?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No. Salary levels are set by the University which are known to the candidate in advance so there's no possibility for negotiations.