Columbia University Graduate Research Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Columbia University Graduate Research Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Mar 6, 2017

2.3

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

pretty comfortable and meet the supervisor in the office. she just asked the background and programming experience. and see if your skills and interests fit the project. but make sure you have some questions towards supervisor and she would be very happy answering the concerns

Interview Questions

• why this project interest u?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Columbia University

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

Interviewed 1:1 with a professor, felt more like a casual talk, nothing tough. He didn't even seem interested in me but I was hired in the end. Overall the interview itself was a great experience, and wasn't helpful in letting me know that he is a terrible person to work with.

Interview Questions

• Some very general questions on the basic knowledge   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

Met with grad student, she hired me directly without professor approval which was nice. We met at the department and interviewed in a coffee shop, it was more information and about getting to know each other.

Interview Questions

• What are your research interests and statistical abilities?   1 Answer

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

These great advisors focus on different fields even within the same department and the interview process is to knock the door and talk one-on-one. The process is focused on having an opening position for the coming year along with the grant to sponsor the project as well as your potential expenses.

Interview Questions

• They asked what you did during the undergraduate and your research interest. And they asked about your specialty when you present your resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Casual yet asked very specific details about previous work experience. Will ask about current skill set because there are probably a lot of applicants. Make sure to be prepared if they give you hypothetical scenarios.

Interview Questions

• Q: How will your previous work experience apply to the new job?   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

Application Process: Reach out to the prospective professor(s) to determine funding availability and if there is a place for you. If you have a strong interest and are able to conceive of a possible proposal so much the better but this amount of experience in an applicant is rare. Needless to say anyone with NSF or other independent funding is a shoe-in.

As far as I know acceptance is finally determined by a vote of the faculty of the particular department. The culture of the university is heavily academically nepotistic, in that faculty tend to favor students from schools with a long history of Columbia association, usually with emphasis on association with that particular department's collaborative partner schools.

Acceptance is primary driven by: undergraduate school reputation and strength of recommendations. GPA is used as a minimum bar(typically >3.5). Past experience and your willingness to participate in ongoing research (perhaps not what you'd exactly like to do) and the faculty's awareness of your interest count for a lot. Many beginning doctoral acceptees are 24-26 and have work experience/specific well-aligned research interests.

A word about differences in the program from other schools:

One year to study for your qualifier exam instead of two. No preassigned research rotations, go looking early for a research adviser. Focus is on getting you to the research part fast.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is none. Pay is fixed by the department for all students for the first year. Thereafter you're adviser's grant determines your salary. It tends not to vary much.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Interview

Interviews with professors, no transparency. There is no true bar or a way to tell who gets accepted

Interview Questions

• I wasn't asked anything particularly difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY).

Interview

Application to the PhD program is standard. Three letters of recommendation are probably the most important, followed by research experience, then grades and reputation of undergraduate institution. There's also a personal statement and GRE scores.

Interview Questions

• There was no interview for my position, just the application.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in October 2012.

Interview

Applied posting as advertised on university's job site, received an email shortly after from the professor.The interview process was smooth. Asked about my data analysis skill and details about past experience/projects.The position was to start quite soon so professor wanted get someone with hands on experience about data analysis experience.

Interview Questions

• Please rate your programming skill from 1 to 10 (SAS or R)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

Recruited and flown to NYC. They paid for dinner and activities around the city. Interviewed professors and toured the facilities. Over all it was very enjoyable. The whole process took three days.