Columbia University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

68 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Research Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online, got an email back from the PI a week later and scheduled a Skype interview the following week. He was very friendly and the interview was easy and conversational, but the position ended up going to someone with more experience.

Assistant Director Interview

Application

Interview

Applied online through their job portal. Received an email within a week from the Associate Director of the Business School looking to schedule a phone interview. After that, I was asked to provide a writing sample. Following that, I was invited to NYC (on my dime, from DC) to interview with the Associate Director in person, meet the team, and the Executive Director– the entire process took 4 months and I didn't get the job. In particular the Associate Director strung me along; I had to email every two weeks only to be told she'd have a decision "soon" (took about 2 months of just that rinse and repeat process). Finally was told they chose someone else. I went to Columbia for graduate school for full disclosure. Of the 10 or so applications I sent, I only received 3 interviews for various positions. If they don't want you, they'll never contact you– your resume will just sit there without any change in status.

Interview Questions

• Despite never having worked in academia, why do you feel your background is a good fit? Why do you want to work in academia now?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online and receive an email to schedule a phone interview about a week after, I had the interview with the person I would be working for so I though that was good since I didn't have to go first through HR. I thought the interview had gone great and when I followed up on the hiring process I never got an answer back. There's is nothing more unprofessional and rude than doing this to a candidate, even if a candidate is not going to be hired they have the right to know where they stand.

Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY).

Interview

It was a genome sequencing lab that I interviewed with. I was interviewed by 5 people. 4 of them were the colleagues that I would be working with and one of them was the boss who decide to give me the offer or not

Art Handler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I first spoke with a human resources person over the phone, and then was called in for a face to face interview with the department in person, after which I met human resources on-campus. The interview all seemed to go great, but after three weeks I still haven't heard back from them, even after I emailed asking for any news on their decision.

Database Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

A month after I applied, I was invited to do a phone screening with the hiring manager and 3 other people I'd be working with. They asked pretty straightforward questions about why I wanted to work at Columbia and about my experience. About a week later, they called to let me know that I was invited to do the in-person interview on campus. The in-person interview was a whole-day event and I was scheduled to meet with a total of 20 people (not individually; I met with groups of 2-5 people). It was really informal and everyone was really friendly. The process went bad after the in-person interview. The hiring manager said he would give me a decision by the end of October. That deadline passed and about a week into November, I followed up with the hiring manager via email to get a sense of his updated timeline. Got no response. It's been a month since my interview and it looks like I'm no longer being considered. I hate it when employers don't have the courtesy to inform candidates (specifically candidates who had in-person interviews) that they're no longer being considered. So annoying.

Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with a post-doc was followed by in person interview with various members of the lab, including the PI. The interview process with various lab members was part of a larger tour of the lab and the facilities. A lot of time was spent listening to post-docs and technicians explain their work.

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone call with HR representative; initial interview with direct program staff; full day interview with whole department. Entailed a lot of question and answers, some role playing, leading a demo with the target population, and meeting about 20 staff members. Overall it was similar to a standard academic interview though this was not a strictly academic position. The staff was positive and very aware of how exhausting a full day interview is. Still haven't heard anything after this process - despite the fact that the interview was almost 6 months ago now, which makes the whole thing seem like a waste of time, including a full day's work.

Porter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

It was short and brief and to the point. They did not waste any time. They were business like in their approach, but not cold. They were properly friendly and inviting. They also invited me to ask them questions.

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY).

Interview

I was referred to the position by someone else. That referral then referred me to HR, which I honestly found to be a little clumsy. If I'm referred directly to the hiring manager, then why does HR need to reach first? Nonetheless, I got invited for an interview with all parties involved. Pretty standard interview that took a couple hours. Salary was a lot lower than expected though, and I was told they were in the beginning stages, so the process was just getting started. In my experience, that's a red flag because they're basically telling you "you won't hear from us for a while." As it turns out, 2 months later and still no response. Poor communication and lack of professionalism. Based on this process, I'm guessing this department of the University is managed in a toxic way. This type of poor communication tends to be indicative of a larger problem.