Columbia University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Columbia University Interview Questions

Updated Nov 20, 2017

2.5

Career Counselor Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

Responded to an ad, the director called to schedue an interview. She asked three generic questions that did not have much to do with the actual job, and then said thanks for coming. I didn't get a chance to ask any questions. I'm not sure why they called me for an interview.

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone call with HR representative; initial interview with direct program staff; full day interview with whole department. Entailed a lot of question and answers, some role playing, leading a demo with the target population, and meeting about 20 staff members. Overall it was similar to a standard academic interview though this was not a strictly academic position. The staff was positive and very aware of how exhausting a full day interview is. Still haven't heard anything after this process - despite the fact that the interview was almost 6 months ago now, which makes the whole thing seem like a waste of time, including a full day's work.

Career Counselor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Phone screening interview first and was called in for second round in-person interview. Had to answer series of behavioral and fit questions in a group setting and also give a presentation

Clinical Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

I sent in my materials through the company website. I was contacted about 2 weeks later to schedule 2 phone interviews with leaders of the department with whom I'd be working. Finally, I was contacted about 2 weeks following that to set up an in-person interview with four members of the team with whom I'd be working.

Interview Questions

• Clarify job experience, why I was looking at this job in particular, work ethic and hour preferences, etc.   Answer Question

Columbia Bridge to PhD Program Participanat Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

I received an email from the two directors of the program asking me to sign up for an interview slot. After a week or two, I had a grueling skype interview that lasted almost an hour. The two directors were asking the questions, but there were 3 or 4 other members of the executive team watching/listening in. Towards the end of the interview they also had the opportunity to ask me questions.

All in all, it was not too scary of an atmosphere but quite stressful because there were so many people interviewing me. One lady in particular was kind of grilling me. All in all I was exhausted by the end.

I interviewed on a Tuesday and they said they were hoping to make their decisions by the end of the week, though that was ambitious. Almost two weeks later they sent an email saying they were still making decisions. After a month, I still had not heard anything from them and it wasn't until my commencement weekend about 5 weeks after the interview that I got the email saying I hadn't been accepted. They said they waited as long as possible to make sure that there was no extra opening for me. Nice sentiment but I would have appreciated more direct communication because they know that they are dealing with applicants who are in their last semester of school and are trying to figure out post-grad plans.

Interview Questions

• The questions fell roughly into three categories:
      1. Academic experiences/behavioral questions: how would your mentor/advisor describe you as a student, what is the most rewarding experience you've had in college, what is the most challenging experience you've had, and some others.

2. Research experience: Describe the work you did for [project you wrote about on the application], and then there were lots of questions/conversation based around that central question.

3. Program-related: Why do you want to be in the bridge program? What are you looking for from the bridge program? How would you contribute to the bridge program community? etc   Answer Question

Assistant Treasurer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

Well managed. There were several interviews set up in a kind of 360 degree review with senior and junior people in the area. All were well informed about their individuals roles and how they would interface with the position I was interviewing for. HR was an informative and positive actor in the process.

Interview Questions

• Does your experience in the markets translate to this internal position   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

I was sat down in a room and interviewed with 2 Clinical Research Managers as well as 4 Senior CRCs. They explained the position to me, asked me questions, then left. I then met with the Executive Director and Associate Director. Somewhat tough interview. They were interviewing for different "disease teams", so they were looking for various candidates to assign to different teams. I was told I would be contacted in a few weeks to a month for a potential follow-up interview if the team decided they would move forward with me and that if I didn't hear from them I should follow up. I followed up after about a month as I did not hear from the team, and I never heard back from them. I actually noticed that the position of CRC has been reposted on several job boards since then several times, so I am confused as to whether the position has been filled or not.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with an impatient/restless patient or their family who have been waiting for their treatment for hours?   Answer Question

Assistant Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University in April 2015.

Interview

I had been following the opening for more than a year and saw it advertised on all of the top job sites. Then it went away for about a year and then it started appearing on various job sites again. I filled out the online application and managed to get an introduction to the hiring Director. I did two phone interviews - one with the Director and one later with Director and Associate Director.

The phone interviews and questions were all over the map. I had no reason to think the interviews weren't official, but there was no structure other than being grilled and generally condescended to by the interviewers. I began to realize that this was more of a fishing expedition rather than an interview. I believe they were picking my brain to solve a problem that they were dealing with. No follow-up, didn't respond to a thank you email, never heard from anyone again.

Interview Questions

• The phone interviews and questions were all over the map. I really wasn't sure what was going on because there was no structure other than being grilled and condescended to by a brilliant but arrogant director who didn't like women. I felt instead as if they were picking my brain to solve a problem that they were dealing with. No follow-up, never heard from anyone again. Went above and beyond by doing a live demo and never got any thanks for that either.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Firstly asked some questions about my resume through email, then went through my resume by Skype. After that, I needed to do a presentation to show whether I could be brought into a formal interview.

Assistant Director, Career Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone screen for 30-45 minutes and then in person half day. The in person was with the team and then a session with the whole department. You also had to give a presentation about a career development topic.