Columbia University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 17, 2017

2.5

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY).

Interview

Application to the PhD program is standard. Three letters of recommendation are probably the most important, followed by research experience, then grades and reputation of undergraduate institution. There's also a personal statement and GRE scores.

Interview Questions

• There was no interview for my position, just the application.   Answer Question

Interview

Got the interview opportunity after the resume was pre-screened. Most questions asked in the interview were very technical and closely related to the computer languages I listed on my resume. There are seldom behavioral questions asked.

Interview Questions

• Probablity: what is the probablity to pick up a pair of socks when choosing two socks from two red and two black socks?
      SQL: how to create index and do index search. What is the problem when using index with large dataset?   Answer Question

Work Study Intrn Interview

Interview

i just had to fill out forms and be a student in the program

Interview Questions

Negotiation

i just had to fill out government documentation

Graduate Student Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

I'm new to interview. I interviewed with Microsoft and Google. Microsoft just asked me some basic questions like "tell me your project experience" "what technology you are interested in recently". While google has two phone interview. Mostly about algorithm.

Student Interview

Interview

There was one interview. It is pretty straight forward and questions are very manageable. I believe what they are trying to measure is your personality fit and not so much the academic one.

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

Interviewer was nice, asked basic questions about experiences and education. Followed-up with them after the interview and again a week later as I had not yet heard anything. About a month after I had my interview I checked my status on JAC and noticed that the position had been filled.

Interview Questions

• What thoughts do you have on the future recruitment for our school?   Answer Question

Interview

Interviews with professors, no transparency. There is no true bar or a way to tell who gets accepted

Interview Questions

• I wasn't asked anything particularly difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

Interview

the lucky few get follow up interviews to ensure they are a good fit. the unfortunate get selected blindly and may get stuck with a horrible manager.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

I got the job through a former professor who appreciated my work. The hiring and interview process was very lax, and because I was hourly, it was not a big deal about how much or where I worked.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

not applicable

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

Applied through the Columbia website and interviewed with senior management. The interview process was easy, but rather long time between interview and actual hiring

Interview Questions

• How can you contribute to the work of NCDP in a unique and meaningful way?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiating. There is a set budget and that's what they work with. Straight forward