Columbia University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 12, 2017

2.5

Student Advisor Lifecycle Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

Horrible. The interview started about 40 mins late. The questions were very repetitive. Within the last 10 mins of the interview, the last committee member showed up. I just wanted to go home at that point.

Interview Questions

• Scenario question: What is my method to ensure that students are meeting their degree requirements?   1 Answer

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

The job was for Internship in Building Community (IBC) at Columbia which was an 8-week internship over the summer that allowed college students the opportunity to serve as mentors and disciplinarians for Columbia's high school program. The hiring process consisted of a preliminary screening where the applicant is required to submit a cover letter and and a form consisting of a couple essay questions about community. If selected, the applicant is offered an interview over Skype that lasts for about 30-40 minutes. The program got back to me by the end of the week with a response.

Interview Questions

• Essay 1: What does community mean to you?   Answer Question
    • Essay 2: Which class would you want to take if you could take a course in the high school program offered at Columbia.   Answer Question
    • Interview 1: What is your major and why does this program interest you?   Answer Question
    • Interview 2: What are your greatest strengths with regards to dealing with high school students?   Answer Question

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

Not what I'm used to and somewhat informal. Except for "why are you leaving your current position", there were no questions. Just senior personnel rambling about their own work. I tried to volunteer more information about myself and qualifications, but I'd just get interrupting with more rambling. Then, when job description quickly became ambiguous--"other duties as assigned"---I just felt really concerned and frustrated. I just wanted to go home a.s.a.p.

Interview Questions

• "Why are you leaving your current position?" That's all!   1 Answer

Associate Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University in May 2017.

Interview

Basic phone screening interview; a bit difficult with multiple people on speaker phone but otherwise good. Standard questions regarding background and experience, no pointless questions and otherwise nothing unexpected.

Interview Questions

• Asked for examples of time when you encountered a difficult situation, etc. and other questions of a similar format.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in January 2013.

Interview

Have a phone interview first with the lab manager. Then onsite. Gave a presentation, talked with the boss, lab manager, several collaborators and other team members. Everybody is pretty friendly. It was a whole day interview.

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

Typical application of PhD programs in US, nothing special in comparison to other universities around the country. You have to submit all your documents online through a very nice system. It is the same as the other universities as you can see.

Adjunct Associate Professor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

There was no interview process. The selection is based on the grade that you got in the class when you took it. The best students of the particular class are usually offer the opportunity to have this role.

Interview Questions

• There was not interview. The selection is based on your grade in the class.   1 Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University in February 2015.

Interview

Overall it was a very straightforward phone interview with a professor who asked basic questions regarding my time at school and my research interests. Talked a little bit about what the lab was doing in the process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a little bit about your past research experience   Answer Question

Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY).

Interview

Contacted the HR and gave me an interview. She was a nice lady and she asked me how many hours can I work per week, do I know how use Excel and some other basic questions.

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

challenging but not too hard; it was half an hour and everything was as you would expect. there was no unexpected question . if you prepare for t, it is going to be ok