Columbia University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 19, 2017

2.5

Research Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online, got an email back from the PI a week later and scheduled a Skype interview the following week. He was very friendly and the interview was easy and conversational, but the position ended up going to someone with more experience.

Senior Program Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

The Interview Process consisted of a phone-based interview directly with the supervisor and then an in-person interview following the screening of potential candidates. The Hiring Process required a background check that took 3 weeks to complete and a lengthy waiting period before departmental approval. The Hiring Process was excessively long in my opinion.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about how my previous work experience applied to the current job description (and tasks ahead).   Answer Question

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone call with HR representative; initial interview with direct program staff; full day interview with whole department. Entailed a lot of question and answers, some role playing, leading a demo with the target population, and meeting about 20 staff members. Overall it was similar to a standard academic interview though this was not a strictly academic position. The staff was positive and very aware of how exhausting a full day interview is. Still haven't heard anything after this process - despite the fact that the interview was almost 6 months ago now, which makes the whole thing seem like a waste of time, including a full day's work.

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cresskill, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (Cresskill, NJ).

Interview

Overall it was positive but the process was too long. In total I was invited 3 times and had 7 interviews. Looks like it's a lengthy process across the organization.

Career Counselor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Phone screening interview first and was called in for second round in-person interview. Had to answer series of behavioral and fit questions in a group setting and also give a presentation

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

phone interview followed by an on-site interview a few days later.
    phone interview followed by an on-site interview a few days later.

Interview Questions

• Talked about my future plan, current research interests, why I was interested in the lab. There were also a few other behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in August 2013.

Interview

I applied through a referral and the process was fairly simple. After a phone interview, I went to the lab and I interview with the PI and different members that was going to be interacting with.

Interview Questions

• Knowledge of different techniques, such as NMR, HPLC, and EPR.   1 Answer

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

Interviewed 1:1 with a professor, felt more like a casual talk, nothing tough. He didn't even seem interested in me but I was hired in the end. Overall the interview itself was a great experience, and wasn't helpful in letting me know that he is a terrible person to work with.

Interview Questions

• Some very general questions on the basic knowledge   1 Answer

Network Technician Interview

Interview

It is more important to connect with the interviewer who will be one of your supervisors than to truly prepare for any questions they might ask. Learning how to use Nagios, VersionGet or having a general understanding of Network operations

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Was contacted to come in for an interview -- they followed up with a second interview within the week.

These people never contact you to let you know their decision. This is one of the most disrespectful and cruel things to do to candidates, especially after two interviews. I'm just trying to help out future candidates to let them know.

Interview Questions

• What is one of the biggest mess-ups you've had at your current position?   1 Answer
    • What are your plans for the future (5-years or just vague future plans)   1 Answer