Columbia University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Columbia University Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2017

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY).

Interview

It was a genome sequencing lab that I interviewed with. I was interviewed by 5 people. 4 of them were the colleagues that I would be working with and one of them was the boss who decide to give me the offer or not

Assistant Director Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

After applying online, I was contacted by email almost immediately to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was 30 minutes and I was asked about my resume and interest in the position. After the phone interview was the in-person interview. I sat through three rounds of interviews: one with the team I would be working with, one with the director of the office and one with representatives from the entire staff. Lots of situational/scenario questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

N/A

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY).

Interview

I had a phone call then briefly met with the 2 directors of the program I applied for. The interview process was very casual. I met with one of the directors and interviewed as we walked to a meeting they were going to.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY).

Interview

It was relatively strait forward and not too difficult. First there was a phone interview, and then it was followed by a face to face interview. Then it was confirmed via email.

Interview Questions

• Please discuss your previous experience   1 Answer

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

I got invited to the open house, which takes place on the campus for 2 days. I could not make it because I was out of the country and instead did a skype interview. Skype interview was done with one professor, who was very nice and easy-going.

Interview Questions

• Describe your undergraduate research experience.
      What research are you interested in Columbia?
      Answer Question

Art Handler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I first spoke with a human resources person over the phone, and then was called in for a face to face interview with the department in person, after which I met human resources on-campus. The interview all seemed to go great, but after three weeks I still haven't heard back from them, even after I emailed asking for any news on their decision.

Database Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

A month after I applied, I was invited to do a phone screening with the hiring manager and 3 other people I'd be working with. They asked pretty straightforward questions about why I wanted to work at Columbia and about my experience. About a week later, they called to let me know that I was invited to do the in-person interview on campus. The in-person interview was a whole-day event and I was scheduled to meet with a total of 20 people (not individually; I met with groups of 2-5 people). It was really informal and everyone was really friendly. The process went bad after the in-person interview. The hiring manager said he would give me a decision by the end of October. That deadline passed and about a week into November, I followed up with the hiring manager via email to get a sense of his updated timeline. Got no response. It's been a month since my interview and it looks like I'm no longer being considered. I hate it when employers don't have the courtesy to inform candidates (specifically candidates who had in-person interviews) that they're no longer being considered. So annoying.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Using the jobs website, I submitted a master application, resume, cover letter and reference list to the specific listing. About 2 weeks later I got an email asking about interviewing. I met directly with the PI and student I would be working for. Where they the questions mentioned below. They described the work I would be doing and asked about my relevant experience and my future plans as I am a recent college grad.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable working with mice?   Answer Question
    • Describe the techniques you are familiar with in the projects you have previously worked on (animal behavior and basic chem I.e. Prep solutions etc.)   Answer Question
    • Do you have any questions or concerns?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with a post-doc was followed by in person interview with various members of the lab, including the PI. The interview process with various lab members was part of a larger tour of the lab and the facilities. A lot of time was spent listening to post-docs and technicians explain their work.

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone call with HR representative; initial interview with direct program staff; full day interview with whole department. Entailed a lot of question and answers, some role playing, leading a demo with the target population, and meeting about 20 staff members. Overall it was similar to a standard academic interview though this was not a strictly academic position. The staff was positive and very aware of how exhausting a full day interview is. Still haven't heard anything after this process - despite the fact that the interview was almost 6 months ago now, which makes the whole thing seem like a waste of time, including a full day's work.