Columbia University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 5, 2017

2.5

Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

asked for an in-person interview within a week of application submission. Interviewed by prospective manager and the person leaving the position I applied for. Asked to submit an assignment after the interview.

Postdoctoral Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

I was called by my professor and it was one to one interview. I just had to present my previous dissertation work. It was very simple as it was for postdoctoral position. I was just asked questions based on my presentation and topic.

Interview Questions

• Are you interested in pursuing your career further in academics   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview process felt rushed. First part was done over the phone, my interviewer felt completely uninterested. Then when I came in for the in-person, the same person who interviewed me over the phone was part of the panel. Again rushed and reading questions off scriptThe interview process felt rushed. First part was done over the phone, my interviewer felt completely uninterested. Then when I came in for the in-person, the same person who interviewed me over the phone was part of the panel. Again rushed and reading questions off script

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview process was an informal and comfortable one — where the potential employee (student) feels safe.

First, the interview process cannot happen in the absence of prior signaling of research and analytical skills the hirer (individual faculty, in this case) deems qualifiable for such assistantship. Second, the interview is more likely to ever occur after *you* have signaled to the hirer that you have an interest in working with them.

When both conditions have worked out, the faculty calls for a "discussion" to understand interests and reasons of the student to work with them and on the subject concerned. This would usually happen in their offices over a period of an hour or so.

Interview Questions

• The things faculty ask are:
      1. "Why are you interested in working on the topic concerned?"
      2. "What skills and knowledge do you have that make you a good candidate?"
      3. "What do you hope to gain out of this?"
      4. "Are there personal goals this employment can bring to completion?”   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

Easy. Asked me about my experiences and wanted two references. She asked me how I was preparing for this role. She asked me if I had any prior administrative experience. She also asked me why I was interested in business.

Assistant Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY).

Interview

Lengthy. Had 2 different interviews and after the 2nd interview took a long time to receive an offer. Once offer was received and accepted, it took a long time to get all the paper work together as well.

Interview Questions

• What are some of the challenges you have faced on previous jobs and how did you solve the problem?   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

I interviewed for a Program Assistant position within a program at the Mailman School of Public Health. I had two interviews, one of which I got word of the day before, and also was asked to complete a writing exercise. The writing exercise was supposed to be the final task after which they would make a decision and I was told I would hear back soon, however I never heard anything, even after I emailed a few weeks later and then called and left a voicemail a few weeks after that. I understand if they gave the position to someone else but I don't know why they couldn't be bothered to tell me either way.

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Interviewing candidates for a position within your company is one of the final steps in the hiring process. Before you get to this step, you want to make sure that you've completed all of the preceding steps since each of these steps will have a direct impact on how effective the interview process will be.

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

It was ok just the standard questions- I did not like the lack of communication between HR and the hiring manager . The organization seems to believe that the Ivy league status will get A players to take a huge pay-cut to be part of their team ...

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work at Columbia ?   1 Answer

UI/User Experience Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied for the job through a job-posting in school as they were looking for UI/UX Research interns. Interestingly, there are no UI/UX classes that teaches design thinking so most of my knowledge on UI/UX was self-taught. The interview was conducted at the usability lab, I interviewed with a developer and the lead UI/UX designer.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in UI/UX?
      What sort of knowledge about the industry do you have?   Answer Question