Columbia University Medical Center Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 19, 2017

2.7

Laboratory Technologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University Medical Center (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

It was a back-to-back interview with 4 different directors and lasted for 2.5 hours. The interview was more of getting-to-know and getting a feel of who they will be working with and there were almost no technical questions.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University Medical Center (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied for the job online and was contacted a week later. I was interviewed by four people at once asking technical questions related to the job. They explained what the lab is investigating and what is expected of me. Although there were four interviewers at once, they didn't exactly grill me but definitely wanted to make sure they were hiring the right person.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University Medical Center (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

An interview was scheduled roughly two weeks after I applied for this job online. I initially interviewed with the supervisor of the position. It was conversational and we went over my resume focusing on my educational background and recent work experience. The interview went both ways in that the supervisor described in detail the functions of the position and the environment of the office.

I was invited back for two additional interviews with others in the department and a final one with HR over the course of the following month. All interviews were seemly casual and aimed at getting a sense of my character and personality. A formal offer was extended after reference and background check was completed.

It took nearly two months from application to offer.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University Medical Center (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Very long process. It took about 3 months just to hear back from Columbia. I had 2 phone interviews and an in person interview. The entire process, from application to employment offer, took about 4 months.

Interview Questions

• Describe a research technique that you've performed (i.e. PCR, dissection, cell plating, etc.)   Answer Question

Technician A Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Columbia University Medical Center (New York, NY).

Interview

Be a team player. This job entails long hours on your feet. Very well organizational skills as well as neat handwriting for all the log books. Must be very reliable, due to the pathology department waiting on all the specimens you are picking up. Probation period 3 months. 1199 insurance.

Clinical Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Columbia University Medical Center (New York, NY).

Interview

It was a nice experience overall. Hiring manager explained the details of job and didn't ask very technical questions. Was more willing to find out about my behavioral skills and how could I contribute as a team player. Even asked me a couple of casual questions about my other interests.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Columbia University Medical Center (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

This interview depends on the PI in the lab, my PI is really nice and he will ask you to perform some basic lab technics, if you are good enough, then you are qualified to enter the team.

Interview Questions

• Are you familiar with molecular cloning?   1 Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University Medical Center (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online via RFMH website. A couple days later invited for in person interview. It went well, I described my research projects and they vaguely told me about their work (PI and the post-doc I would be working under). Showed me around the lab and seemed like they were trying to sell me the lab instead of the other way around.

Application

Interview

Applied on the HR website, received an e-mail invitation for a phone interview with the PI. After the phone interview, which was mostly informational, was invited for an in-person interview the following week. Met with the PI and other staff members. Lasted almost 2 hours. Everyone was very friendly and seemed interested in hearing about my interests and experiences. No difficult or unexpected questions.

Research Technician B Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Columbia University Medical Center (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied online, received an interview a week later. Talked to research specialist not the actual PI, interviewed with a few different post-docs separately. Was fairly straightforward, asked about my undergraduate research projects and techniques I learned. Learned a lot about their research and how I might contribute if I were to be hired.