Columbia University Interview Questions in New York, NY | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 19, 2017

2.5

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

phone interview followed by an on-site interview a few days later.
    phone interview followed by an on-site interview a few days later.

Interview Questions

• Talked about my future plan, current research interests, why I was interested in the lab. There were also a few other behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Research Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online, got an email back from the PI a week later and scheduled a Skype interview the following week. He was very friendly and the interview was easy and conversational, but the position ended up going to someone with more experience.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online and receive an email to schedule a phone interview about a week after, I had the interview with the person I would be working for so I though that was good since I didn't have to go first through HR. I thought the interview had gone great and when I followed up on the hiring process I never got an answer back. There's is nothing more unprofessional and rude than doing this to a candidate, even if a candidate is not going to be hired they have the right to know where they stand.

Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY).

Interview

It was a genome sequencing lab that I interviewed with. I was interviewed by 5 people. 4 of them were the colleagues that I would be working with and one of them was the boss who decide to give me the offer or not

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Was contacted to come in for an interview -- they followed up with a second interview within the week.

These people never contact you to let you know their decision. This is one of the most disrespectful and cruel things to do to candidates, especially after two interviews. I'm just trying to help out future candidates to let them know.

Interview Questions

• What is one of the biggest mess-ups you've had at your current position?   1 Answer
    • What are your plans for the future (5-years or just vague future plans)   1 Answer

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY).

Interview

I had a phone call then briefly met with the 2 directors of the program I applied for. The interview process was very casual. I met with one of the directors and interviewed as we walked to a meeting they were going to.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY).

Interview

It was relatively strait forward and not too difficult. First there was a phone interview, and then it was followed by a face to face interview. Then it was confirmed via email.

Interview Questions

• Please discuss your previous experience   1 Answer

Art Handler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I first spoke with a human resources person over the phone, and then was called in for a face to face interview with the department in person, after which I met human resources on-campus. The interview all seemed to go great, but after three weeks I still haven't heard back from them, even after I emailed asking for any news on their decision.

Database Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

A month after I applied, I was invited to do a phone screening with the hiring manager and 3 other people I'd be working with. They asked pretty straightforward questions about why I wanted to work at Columbia and about my experience. About a week later, they called to let me know that I was invited to do the in-person interview on campus. The in-person interview was a whole-day event and I was scheduled to meet with a total of 20 people (not individually; I met with groups of 2-5 people). It was really informal and everyone was really friendly. The process went bad after the in-person interview. The hiring manager said he would give me a decision by the end of October. That deadline passed and about a week into November, I followed up with the hiring manager via email to get a sense of his updated timeline. Got no response. It's been a month since my interview and it looks like I'm no longer being considered. I hate it when employers don't have the courtesy to inform candidates (specifically candidates who had in-person interviews) that they're no longer being considered. So annoying.

Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Using the jobs website, I submitted a master application, resume, cover letter and reference list to the specific listing. About 2 weeks later I got an email asking about interviewing. I met directly with the PI and student I would be working for. Where they the questions mentioned below. They described the work I would be doing and asked about my relevant experience and my future plans as I am a recent college grad.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable working with mice?   Answer Question
    • Describe the techniques you are familiar with in the projects you have previously worked on (animal behavior and basic chem I.e. Prep solutions etc.)   Answer Question
    • Do you have any questions or concerns?   Answer Question