Columbia University Postdoctoral Research Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Columbia University Postdoctoral Research Scientist Interview Questions

Updated Jan 9, 2017

2.3

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

I was called by my professor and it was one to one interview. I just had to present my previous dissertation work. It was very simple as it was for postdoctoral position. I was just asked questions based on my presentation and topic.

Interview Questions

• Are you interested in pursuing your career further in academics   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Columbia University

Postdoctoral Research Scientist Interview

Interview

I send a letter and my resume to the PI saying that I would love to join the group. Got some friendly answer so I went to new york to meet in person. Interview was rather informal, just a short chat with the PI and lunch with the rest of the group.

Interview Questions

• Do you want to stay in academia?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview took one entire day plus dinner. I presented a 30 minutes talk of my former work.
    Afterwards I talked to everybody in the lab. The whole process was very intense, but very informal. There were no unexpected questions.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in August 2013.

Interview

I got an interview invitation within a day after I submitted my application. The first stage of the interview was with a fellow post-doc. It was very lengthy (an hour and half) and we discussed also very technical details of my knowledge of the specific subject and of the work I will be doing. The second stage was with the PI, I gave a presentation, it was liked very much and interrupted halfway.

Interview Questions

• I was asked my family status, and whether they need to do something about the 2body problem. (Vary positive but it came out of the blue for me)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in May 2013.

Interview

Two skype interviews and an in person presentation. There were many questions about the research I had completed previously and a focus on where I saw my career heading. I also had to write and submit a mock research proposal and three letters of reference.

Interview Questions

• What research projects I had in mind and also asked me to write a mock proposal on anything I wished.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Scientist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Columbia University in January 2013.

Interview

Set up interview with administrative assistant. Interview lasted from 9-5 all day with a presentation at lunch time. Met with other post docs in the lab. Met with PI and discussed potential projects.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in July 2012.

Interview

emailed the PI, wrote back after 1 week. 2 weeks later on-site interview and offer same day.
     gave a 1 hour presentation in front of the lab. overall very nice experience

Interview Questions

• tell me about your research   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

I met in a group setting with the principal investigator and lab members. I then gave a presentation and spoke one-on-one with principal investigator and lab members. I had lunch with the principal investigator and traveled there for one day and did not stay overnight. Overall, it was a very positive process.

Interview Questions

• What are your career plans   1 Answer

Postdoctoral Research Scientist Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Columbia University in September 2009.

Interview

Slow.

Postdoctoral Research Scientist Interview

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Columbia University in March 2009.

Interview

It was a casual and easy experience. During the first day, I gave a presentation about what I did during my phd, followed by QnA. Then I was assigned to talk to each postdocs in the lab. Especially the ones in the area that I'm interested in. Got home, wrote a thank-you letter to the PI and express that I'm interested in working there. And got invitation of 2nd interview right away. This time I was mainly talking with the group that I will be working in. At the end of the day, the PI has offered me the job!