Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 23, 2017

2.4

Interviews for Top Jobs at Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation

Research Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation.

Interview

Phone interview
    It's pretty relaxing
    ask about previous project experience, interest and motivation
    Also asked whether I want to pursue a PhD after this.
    The interview is 30 minutes.
    The research scientist is quite busy so it's a quick one.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Adelaide (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (Adelaide (Australia)) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied for this position on line. after the first screening i was qualified for the next stage and requested foe an interview. We had a WebEx meeting with a panel of scientists which lasted an hour. First i made a presentation concerning my experiences and how i am suitable for the position. After the presentation i was asked the questions from the panel.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (Melbourne (Australia)).

Interview

Behavioural and situational interview. Techical abilities at best is must. Need to demonstrate teamwork, leadership, extracurricular activities. Excellent academic performance and records. Experience in industry either actual work or vacation work experience will help. Need to demonstrate competencies using real situation. Need to show passion for scientific research, engineering innovation and Technology. Learn and research well about CSIRO before interview.

Senior Technical Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hobart (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (Hobart (Australia)) in July 2016.

Interview

I had two face to face interviews which were pretty much like every other interview I've ever had. Because it was for a sea going role I also had a full medical including a dental examination, hearing, eye and blood tests and an electrocardiogram stress test which led to a follow up computed tomography (CT) scan. It was good to finally discover I had no life threatening diseases, but the process was stressful and time consuming.

Interview Questions

• What process would you follow if a piece of essential scientific equipment failed while you were supporting a voyage at sea?   1 Answer

Vacation Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation.

Interview

Applied online. After the closing date of the program, got an email scheduling a phone interview. Asking for rescheduling and they accepted my proposed time and date. Phone interview with very friendly people. They asked about my resume, why I applied and some technical questions related to the vacation project and what I mentioned on my resume. Then, they gave me a chance to ask questions.

Interview Questions

• CV, motivation, technical questions related to the vacation project.   Answer Question

HSE Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (Perth, Western Australia (Australia)) in August 2015.

Interview

Competitive candidate pool was reduced to a group of 7 for interview. The interview included the Operations Manager, Deputy Director and General Manager of HSE. The interview was conducted on site with several persons dialing in through video conference.

The interview was comfortable and the persons interviewing were professional and courteous.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (Sydney (Australia)).

Interview

Application, then Phone Screen

Pretty standard questions to assess motivations and ability. Started with questions about my CV, then moved on to motivations, and practical questions about my experience with the tools required for the internship. Friendly and over the phone. The interviewer mentioned that there was competition for the role, and that they would get back to me.

Interview Questions

• What's your experience with modelling software?   1 Answer

Vacation Student Interview

Interview

Submit online application, but I contacted the project supervisor beforehand through email to get him to know me. I wrote detailed motivation and showed my strong interest to the project. Got called for an offer in early October without any interviews. They are not as competitive as internships hosted by companies.

Research Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (Melbourne (Australia)) in August 2012.

Interview

Submitted my application online,got the usual automated response.However,it took a very long time for them to take any action. I had given up and thought they had already recruited someone, but then an email said they apologise for delay....and were reviewing applications.It took several weeks,and then I was invited to an interview.

Interview Questions

• I told them clearly about my strong industry experience credentials and ability to connect the organisation with industry as my forte, rather than actually doing research,since I had stopped doing research and was in industry for several years. Note that in the job description,they had stated that they were prepared to consider both types of candidates (i.e with strong research experience or strong connections with industry,to create linkage with industry). But most of the interview was to give examples of research I had done recently.   1 Answer

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (Sydney (Australia)) in November 2011.

Interview

There was a single interview, about an hour long with a mix of technical and behavioural questions. Technical questions were relevant to my area of expertise and were fairly straightforward. Out of three people on the interview panel, two were reasonably knowledgeable in the are.