Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 8, 2017

2.4

Cyf Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 11+ months. I interviewed at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh, PA) in March 2017.

Interview

I tested and applied for numerous jobs that fit my education and experience. I scored better than most on all of the tests. I finally get a call for an interview and I'm told that my name was on the list for other positions I had applied for. However, they wanted to interview me for a position I did not apply for or test for. I thought this was odd, but I was happy and enthusiastic because it's a chance to speak to someone after all the testing and waiting. The person on the phone asks me if I would be willing to come in and interview. She tells me the title of the job, schedules my interview, and the call concludes. Since I had no idea what the job actually entailed until the interview began, I had no way to prepare for it. Shortly after the interview began I'm asked why I should be chosen for the position, why am I the best candidate? I'm thinking, "how can I possibly answer that question, when I didn't know anything about the job until 2 seconds ago?". I got the impression they already knew who they wanted, and I was brought in due to having to interview so many people. This position was an upper admin position, and from an HR perspective, makes zero sense to bring in a new employee, rather than promote from within. Furthermore, the two woman interviewing me, used to previously hold the position and we're obviously promoted. I have no doubt the person who will get this job, already works for CYF. Overall, I guess I will hall this up to great interview practice. I feel like I waited almost 12 months after taking numerous tests and scoring higher than most people, for nothing. At the end of the interview, I now knew what the position entailed, and I could take help but think, had I known, I would've answered alot of questions very differently. To date, I haven't been called for a single interview on any of the jobs I applied or tested for. So it was very disheartening to be brought in to interview for a job, I feel, they knew was never going to be offered to me regardless of my performance during the interview. I was left in an impossible position of not being able to prepare for the interview due to not knowing anything about the position until the interview was practically over. At this point, I hope the interviewers keep me in mind for a position that would fit my skills, education, and experience. Because the position I interviewed for today, could never be done by new employee. It just isn't possible. The person filling this role ( which had only 1 position needing filled), would have to be promoted from a lower position. Not doing so, made zero sense. Overall, I left the interview feeling horrible despite the fact it could've been worse. It was a no win situation for everyone they called in (which they said we're 8 other people). I am speaking from intuition, or just my gut feeling, but if I were a betting man, I would bet they knew who they wanted prior to calling any of us. But due to contracts, and such, they had to interview so many people before giving the position to the person they wanted. Now, my only hope is they remember me. I guess I'll keep looking, but I can't imagine I'm going to rush back down to the commission for more tests anytime soon.

Interview Questions

• Why should they give me the position.   1 Answer

Taxpayer Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (Harrisburg, PA) in September 2016.

Interview

You sit with 2 potential managers who review the job role with you, review your resume and there is a small questionnaire about how you would respond to situation.s

Case Worker Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Interview

Gave you questions to review prior to panel interview. People were friendly, but made little to no eye contact, as they were taking notes. Also no interaction other than asking the questions-be careful not to ramble, but make your piont.

Various Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisburg, PA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (Harrisburg, PA).

Interview

Submit a bid for a particular position, wait forever for a response to see if you're eligible to interview. If you are notified for an interview outside your current agency, you must take your own leave to attend. Once the interview is complete, you wait again, sometimes never being notified if you are in the running. It can take months to find out the verdict either way.

In addition, this is not an interactive interview. They ask the same questions of each candidate, and must write every word down that you say. They generally don't (or can't) ask follow-up or clarifying questions.

The best interviews I had however, were at Department of Public Welfare and Transportation.

Interview Questions

• What make you the best candidate for the job (pretty standard)   Answer Question

Income Maintenance Caseworker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I interviewed at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in January 2016.

Interview

It wasn't really an interview for Philadelphia County. I received a call inviting me to come to an interview as well as a letter in the mail confirming the interview date and time. The "interview" was with about 20 other applicants. We were there to fill out paperwork: an application and references. We also provided college transcripts. I received a phone call from HR a few weeks later offering me the job and shortly after I received a letter inviting me to come for orientation.

Interview Questions

• They didn'the ask any questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

None

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Interview

8 "what would you do" and "what prior experience do you have" type questions which were asked by a panel of 3 individuals. The process is dictated by civil service rules.

Interview Questions

• A state representative calls to inquire about a report he received from a constituent regarding lack of ability to access psychiatric treatment. What would you do?   Answer Question
    • Can you travel overnight for this position?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Interview

A panel of three or more people ask you questions that they give you ahead of time to review. Very little eye contact or interaction occurs. You just talk and they write it down.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation occurred. You apply for the job, take the test, wait months for an initial offer, get a more formal offer for an interview, then wait for the formal job offer. It's easy, just a lot of waiting around.

Income Maintenance Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisburg, PA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (Harrisburg, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

Three people in a room asking you a set of questions that you get to review before the actual interview. Limited eye contact and solid poker faces. Told to be patient hiring process can take anywhere from 2-8 weeks. I took the civil service test in October, got survey in February, and interview in Match now just playing the waiting game.

Interview Questions

• Would you accept the job if offered.   1 Answer

Auditor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (Harrisburg, PA) in January 2015.

Interview

Extremely easy. They gave me a printed paper with the list of intended questions. Embellish on your answers because they can not ask follow up questions. Very casual interview. The questions were very generic. They asked about my hobbies at the end. I was very professional and brought printed copies of my resume. Two people interviewed me and wrote the answers down.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths? What are your weaknesses? Tell us a situation you overcame in a workplace.   Answer Question

Clerk Typist II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in January 2015.

Interview

After receiving and completing a gamut of forms to be completed, you're called for a date to be "interviewed". The interview is really a room full of potential employees, about 30 in the room. The process takes about 1/2 the day where Business Analysts look over all of your documentation, they may also make recommendations for other positions for you to test and intervie for. You do fill out additional paperwork while there such as the I9, W4, and to order where you would like to work in the city's County Assistance Offices.

Interview Questions

• It's not really an interview so there are no questions. They go over all of your documentation, copy your ID, etc.   1 Answer