Commonwealth of Virginia Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.3

Sort:

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Commonwealth of Virginia (Richmond, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

You have to go through two interviews one is a partial training to make sure you can perform the job. The process is flexible if you reach out early and often you can have a phone call interview to help you get your foot in the door. The representative were nice and allowed us to speak freely without feeling to pressured.

Interview Questions

• When was a time that you had to adjust yourself to new knowledge and leverage it in the workplace.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Commonwealth of Virginia in January 2016.

Interview

The interview was scheduled a month after applying. It had the scary no-nonsense atmosphere of a dystopian bureaucracy. I was lead into a locked waiting area by admin staff where I spent the next 10-15 minutes twiddling my thumbs as unknown staff members walked past, scoffing at my acknowledgement of them. Eventually one of my interviewers rushed me off to a small room with 3 diverse people that still managed to sidestep any demographic I fit into. The interview was impersonal. All questions were scripted. No follow-up questions took place, no discussions arose from the questions, and my pleasantries were met with Spartan laconism. The interviewers took notes as if studying wildlife instead of meeting with someone. They were all very hard to read, and gave no verbal feedback. I got the sense my interview was a formality, that someone else had already been chosen and I was simply there to give the appearance of competition. After the interview I was left to navigate the series of locked doors that dumped me out the the wrong side of the building. They failed to contact me by the deadline they set and ignored my follow up.

Health Educator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Commonwealth of Virginia (Richmond, VA) in November 2012.

Interview

After the closing date, HR Analyst called to set up the interview. It was a panel with 3 people, including the hiring manager. I was also asked to provide a writing sample after the interview, as the position occasionally has to write grant proposals.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions. There was nothing unexpected. I did receive the interview questions a head of time while waiting for the panel to assemble.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Know your worth. VDH will only offer up to 10% increase. Nothing more. So just know that going into the interview. If you are looking for more than that, its not going to happen.

Executive Vice President Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

Application

I interviewed at Commonwealth of Virginia (Norfolk, VA) in April 2010.

Interview

Initial communication made via personal note to company president. Interviewed over two meeting periods, very thorough. Bulk of interview related to background experience and what the candidate could bring to the company in professional expertise. Interview discussion was not overly detailed technically, focused on potential company growth and strategy execution.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult question related to how the candidate would execute the company growth strategy, given most likely scenario over the next several years. Much discussion about this topic, driving interview length to well over an hour. The question was well-placed, and the discussion was not only interesting but telling as to what was experienced over coming years.   Answer Question

Volunteer Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manassas, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Commonwealth of Virginia (Manassas, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview process was by far the strangest I've even encountered. 4 Person panel with prepared questions but they never asked questions outside the scope of what was presented to me on a document when I arrived. There was little if any eye contact as the panel was so busy writing my responses word for word. Not sure why they didn't record it and go back later.

Interview Questions

• "What would you do if a diabetic patient was not taking his medication?" totally not within the scope of the job description as the position had NO patient contact.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Commonwealth of Virginia (Fairfax, VA) in June 2015.

Interview

One phone interview, followed by 3 person panel. Each person asked questions specicic to their topic, such as describing challenging situations, describing scope of projects, and describing working in a team

Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Commonwealth of Virginia (Fairfax, VA) in January 2015.

Interview

Panel Interview with three individuals. They will not look at you most of the time, as they are writing down what you have to say. Extremely impersonal. If they are not writing, you are not saying anything of worth to them.

Business Systems Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Commonwealth of Virginia (Richmond, VA) in February 2013.

Interview

- Got a call after submitting the resume. You need to fill out all the detail. My resume was all shining , however I just attached it to the online application and did not fill out the experience columns in the online application. Just said see my resume. HR called me and said that I will be interviewed only if I fill out experience columns in the online application. I did fill out and then called HR again.
    - Got called for in person interview
    - It was a panel interview
    - Interview time : 1 hour

ISO Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Commonwealth of Virginia (Richmond, VA) in March 2010.

Interview

The interview turnaround after filling out the application was 2 days.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference NAT and PAT   1 Answer

Child Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 10+ months. I interviewed at Commonwealth of Virginia (Norfolk, VA) in May 2018.

Interview

The interview was somewhat laid back with only 8 questions asked by 3 panel members. It wasn't too tough. I was told during the interview not to expect HR to contact me right away and that it could take A MONTH (Interview was May 2018). Well, it has been 3 months since the interview and still nothing. I have NEVER been left waiting around on a job this long in my life. I did contact the HR rep who sent me the background form to complete and she said that it's a long process, and my background check had already come back. She said that someone would be reaching out to me within the next couple of weeks. Well, it has been yet another month since then, and I haven't heard from a single soul. It still shows my application "In process" online, so I guess they haven't filled the positions. The reference check was complete before the background check in June 2018, so I don't know what else they could possibly be waiting for. It is really ridiculous.

Also, the job listing said that it was a "telework" position, but during the interview I was told that I'd be working in the office. I am confused about exactly what "telework" means then. I hope this process moves along because I really want to work here, but never hearing back is really making me feel that I need to move on to something else.

Their hiring process is longer than the federal government's process (3+ months). It is very unprofessional to give them everything they asked for immediately and just be strung along. If this is how it is to get a VA State job, then I may never apply for one again.

**Update: I got the job offer the last week of August 2018. I was very disappointed by the offer being that I have over 3 yrs of case management experience and several degrees related to this position. It was towards the low end of the hiring range & I was told that it was NOT negotiable. Very, very unhappy right now because the offer is much lower than my current pay. They advertise a salary range but have no intention of paying anywhere near the top range. I’ll get my foot in the door and see what happens down the road should I move up or to a different locality.