Commvault Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 8, 2017

3.6

20 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Commvault.

Interview

Received an email asking me to take an online test with a webcam watching. The test also spies on the contents of your computer (set up a dummy account). Testing is obviously outsourced to India. Spelling errors, bad grammar in the instructions, plus the test environment is very buggy. You get an hour, and I probably spent a third of that fighting with the test itself. Afterwards I never heard from anyone again. No email or phone call. Very unprofessional company.

Interview Questions

• Increment the characters in a string so that all characters are unique.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Commvault

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Commvault (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

First Round of the interview process. Took an online coding test with a group of other interviewers. We all brought out own laptops. The test was 45 minutes, 3 questions. No outside help was allowed and you are monitored at all times. Their coding environment had no syntax aids or autocomplete and because you could not look up language specific functions or syntaxes, the biggest challenge for me was trying to remember how to do specific things in code by memorization, something I have never done. The problems themselves were not difficult, but relying on memorization of coding syntax is necessary and not knowing them costs you dear time, something you do not have a lot of.

Interview Questions

• Q1. Check if string1 is a rotation of string2 and the degree of rotation
      Q2 Print out the values of a BST in CCW order, only printing the 'border' elements
      Q3 Given a budget N, and K gifts each with their own prices, select the max amount of gifts you can purchase   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Commvault.

Interview

I was given the interview through an employee referral. I set up a phone interview. The questions on the interview were based on my resume and I was asked questions about differences between exe and dll files and how python dictionaries function. I was given a response within a week of the interview.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between .exe and .dll files?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Commvault.

Interview

An online round followed by an onsite interview. The online round had basic coding questions that were evaluated on automated test cases. The 2nd round was a long coding question involving use of different algorithms and data structures.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Commvault (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Quick call for availability. Good interview with a lot of questions ranging from basics of Java to debugging. The process was smooth and the result was given out within five days of the phone interview. Overall, a good experience taking a challenging interview with Commvault.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Commvault (San Jose, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

It was an online test with webcam and desktop sharing. It consisted of 5 programming questions, where I was asked to code certain methods for the problem described. I took a test in Java as the position was for a java developer. It was fully based on Java concepts like generic class, exceptions, multi-threading, linked list, arrays. All it needed was the thorough knowledge of java concepts and ability to understand the problem statement clearly in a short span.

Interview Questions

• For a given array of integers, calculate the largest rectangle of histogram.   Answer Question
    • Write a generic class to return the maximum value in an array.   1 Answer
    • Write a class for user defined exception.   1 Answer
    • Other two from multi-threading and linked list.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Commvault (New York, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

It was the first technical interview, and I and bunch of people had to solve some programming questions in a big room. We had 90 minutes to solve 3 algorithm questions. The questions are not that easy or not that hard. But you can use internet freely during the test.

Interview Questions

• The questions were related to data structure problems such as linked list, tree, etc. You code in a web browser, and it's tricky. It is basically just like using a memo pad.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Commvault (Gainesville, FL) in October 2013.

Interview

Commvault had visited our campus for the career fair. Some of us got a mail the same night to attend a programming challenge the next day at the University.
    There were three programs with 5,6,7 marks. They instructed us to solve any one first and then attempt the others.
    Question were : Convert a number to binary, Find if a loop exists in a Linked List. Can't recall the third one.
    It was a online compiler type interview. So you had to write, compile execute and pass their tests.

I then got a mail for a telephonic. The guy asked me just one question.
    char *a="something";
    Is this valid or invalid. Give reasons.
    Then what would
    strlen(a) return?

The next question was what is sizeof.

That's it. Simple basic stuff.

Interview Questions

• char *a="something"; Valid / Invalid.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Email from manager. Scheduled a phone interview. Had three telephonic with diff teams. Then got an email saying hiring has been stopped.

Interview Questions

• Was asked about js, IIS, datasets, some programming (send code later) directory structure design and traversal and sort two sorted arrays   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edison, NJ

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Commvault (Edison, NJ) in February 2012.

Interview

Good interview..Good questions
    Make sure your basics are tight

Interview Questions

• Asked questions on memory allocation in C
      How can you dynamically allocate memory in stack as opposed to malloc which happens in heap ?

Which is faster between stack and heap   Answer Question
    • What is static key word why is it used ?   Answer Question
    • What is a hashmap, it's complecxity for lookup and what is the data structure inside a hashmap and concepts on chaining and collision   Answer Question