Compass Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Compass

2.9

Sort:

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Compass.

Interview

Recruiter, phone screening, two interviews with others via hangout/skype. Everyone was quite personable and took the time to understand how you might be a good fit within their growing company

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Compass (New York, NY) in February 2018.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me . He was very organized and answered all my questions. It was a phone screen then on site with the hiring manager and other people on different teams. I actually had to ask to talk to more people as I felt the list of interviewees was too short. They were happy to accommodate the request.

Interview Questions

• How do you calculate retention? What are some projects you worked on in the past? How do you deal with working from teams in remote locations?   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Compass (New York, NY) in July 2018.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by someone in their recruiting department via e-mail. Scheduled a phone interview for the next week. Interviewer was very friendly and did a good job of selling the company.

Accounting Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Compass (New York, NY) in September 2018.

Interview

The main reason I rated this interview negatively was the lack of transparency. The process kept changing, with each step touted as the last. It ended up taking 7 weeks where I met 8 people, including the CEO. I also completed a presentation+write up. The people were great, but this was a mid-level position topping out at 120k. A process like this asks for a lot of time from an interviewee, and after nothing but positive feedback + a verbal offer, I was rejected via email with no additional information. I wish there were more consideration for candidates and that I was left with a better impression of the nice people that I think they probably are.

Interview Questions

• What do you believe to be Compass' 3 biggest accounting risks, and how you address the processes to ensure they are mitigated?   Answer Question

Assistant Controller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Compass (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone interview with the controller followed by in person interviews. Was interviewed by junior team members and potential co-worker. Took about 2 hours. After the interview they were timely with responding.

Interview Questions

• We have alot of growth happening and at the local offices there can be alot of mistakes with information being input by new employees due to unfamilarity with our systems. How would you address this?   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Compass (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

The process was thorough. I met with nearly everyone on the team as well as some higher level executives to understand the company's vision. They examined some prior work I had assembled to get a sense of my capabilities on the financial modeling front. However, they were horrendous at follow-up. They made it seem like an offer was coming any day, though it was clear they were waiting on a more preferred candidate. That's fine - but not being transparent was a negative. Worst of all, they never actually terminated the candidacy. I ultimately went with another offer.

Interview Questions

• They asked about team management philosophy, review of their app, my prior experiences in a finance & operations role.   Answer Question

Front End Developer Interview

Interview

Phone screen interview. Interviewer was nice. First is JS general question. Would be helpful to go over ES6 features before the interview. Another one is basic algorithm question in JS.

Interview Questions

• simple question. Already mentioned in other front end developer interview post   Answer Question

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Compass (New York, NY) in October 2018.

Interview

The recruiter was nice and very accommodating when it came down to rescheduling and setting up interviews. I had 2 technical interviews via coderpad (one was front-end focused, plain JS), the other was pure DS&A (Leetcode mediums). Ended up going to onsite 2 weeks later, which consisted of 5 rounds: 2 system design interviews, 1 lunch and 2 technical/coding questions about front-end. The engineers seemed pretty friendly, also spoke with their VP of Engineering who was constantly on his phone throughout the interview and was not concerned with what was going on in the room. He seemed rushed and, when answering my questions, seemed to indicate that the company was focusing too much on the business side of things in the past and not engineering (not a good sign) and that they're trying to change that by tripling their engineering headcount. I feel like I came extremely prepared and knowledgeable about the company, got along with the engineers and answered their questions pretty well but in the end I wasn't able to convince everyone.

Front End Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Compass in June 2018.

Interview

First call was with an internal recruiter, mostly to get an understanding of what Compass does.

Second step was a technical phone screen with a Software Engineer there. I am on Pacific Time. Their internal coordinator scheduled an appointment for 11am Eastern, which I was okay with (8am PT). By 8:15am, I heard nothing so I emailed them and they apologized and asked if I could do 11am PT, to which I reply positively.

My interviewer calls in 20 minutes late and pastes some code scaffolding into the coderpad and is clearly distracted. It's a spellcheck algorithm. I begin to ask her questions and discuss possible solutions. She admits that she is working on other stuff and tells me to 'just work through the problem' because she doesn't give hints. I start working through the problem with a basic approach and she stops me by saying that although she doesn't give hints, she felt that I was going down the wrong path. I was provided no constraints or really any direction, even when I requested clarification.

She left about 3 minutes at the end of the interview for me to ask a few questions, to which she replied with one or two words. Overall, probably the one of the worst technical phone interviews I have ever had.

Interview Questions

• const ltrs1 = ['a', 'b', 'b', 'o','o', 'n'];
      const ltrs2 = ['a', 'b', 'c', 'n','r', 's'];
      const ltrs3 = ['a', 'b', 'o', 'n','r', 's'];

const spell = 'baboon';

function spellcheck(word, letters) {
       //your code here
      }   1 Answer

IT Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Compass (Boston, MA) in March 2018.

Interview

The interview process was three parts condensed to two. First was a 30 minute phone interview with the recruiter. The next day I was informed that I was moving forward, which lead to two back-to-back 45-minute in-person interviews with the IT Lead and General Manager. I had an offer within 24 hours. They don't drag the process out for weeks, like most every other interview experience I've had.