Compass Lexecon Summer Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Compass Lexecon Summer Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at Compass Lexecon

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon (Oakland, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

Applied thru on campus recruiting, received phone interview 2 weeks later which was fairly straightforward (they asked me basic economics questions about supply/demand and complements/supplements). The second round interview took a total of 4 hours at the office; I spoke to two analysts, one senior economist, and one VP.

Interview Questions

• Under what conditions would price collusion occur?   2 Answers
  • What would happen to the price of chicken if the supply for beef increased?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Compass Lexecon

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon.

Interview

Applied through an alumni at school. They got back to me very quickly and I was set up for a phone interview with a VP and two analysts there. Some basic behavioral questions like walk me through your resume, why economic consulting, why Compass Lexecon. Get drilled pretty hard on previous research projects that I could not recall completely (where do you get the data, what method do you use to analyze the data, what statistical software used, etc.). The people seem to love what they are doing and are very friendly. The culture seems to be collaborative and academic at the same time.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon (Boston, MA).

Interview

I spoke on the phone with a vice president first. He was very positive and asked interesting questions about my research, which I reviewed before my interview. Second interview was 5 back-to-back interviews via Skype. The interviews were quite relaxed and friendly - most questions were about why I want to do consulting, why Compass Lexecon and then a bunch of questions about my research. I was asked about a very low-level research job from several years ago that I didn't quite remember which caught me a bit off guard, but all the questions were fair. Not a case interview!! Great interview process overall.

Interview Questions

• Asked me to give my opinion on an industry I did research on several years ago
      Favourite class I've taken
      Whether I think I can handle really long hours
      Career goals   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online, got contacted after 3 weeks...
    First Round: a phone interview with a VP. All behavioral questions;
    Second Round: on site interview, 1 senior VP and 2 analysts. Mainly behavioral questions. Drilled down to details about past research (data set, analysis, resources...)

To some extend, the chance of getting in kind of depends on the available openings... Quantitative skills and knowledge in different statistical softwares.

Interview Questions

• Q: Where did you get the data? Some detailed questions about the original data set, as well as the cleaning process...   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview. It was with a more senior member of the firm, asked some fit questions and some questions about prior research. The man seemed somewhat disinterested in the call, and frustrated when the call cut out and I had to call again.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon (New York, NY) in February 2018.

Interview

Process took about a month. First part was a phone call, basic stuff (e.g. walk me through your resume). Heard back in about a week and scheduled an interview for their Super Day, 30 minute behavioral, 30 minute case questions. Overall everyone was nice and even though I messed up the second case question they were super polite and helped push my thinking in the right direction.

Interview Questions

• 1) How would a small financial crisis in China impact a Chinese exporter?
      2) How would you value a company (explain a DCF)?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon (New York, NY) in February 2018.

Interview

Half behavioral half case study. Case study was about a Chinese company and you had to explain what impact a decrease in China's GDP had on them. A lot of question on macro policy. Explain how governments devalue currency. Talk about how to value a company. Discuss the benefits of a fiscal stimulus package.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I applied through campus recruitment. The first round is a phone interview. The second round is an on-site interview, which has two back-to-back parts: the first part is with three current analysts, and it is mostly about behavioral questions; the second part is with a senior analyst/recruiter, and it is a case interview

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon in May 2015.

Interview

The first round was a 30-min numerical test followed by a verbal reasoning test. Nothing too impossible if you're used to doing it.

Got an email a week later to come back for the second round which was a 3-part case study and an interview with a senior member of the staff

The case study was pretty interesting, you're given 30 minutes to read the case and estimate damages, another 30 minutes to discuss and present your ideas to an economist, before getting another 30 minutes to summarize everything you've discussed on a laptop.

The interview consisted of some competency questions as well as questions testing your economic concepts so be sure to read up on it.

Interview Questions

• How would you check if two goods are of the same market   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon (London, England (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

Similar to GMAT Test.
    First a numerical Test, which was not too difficult if you are good with mental math.
    Followed by a verbal test, mostly they test on grammar and your comprehension skills.
    Lastly, a simple motivational interview that lasted about 15 minutes.
    The interviewer is a junior economist and he was really friendly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what do you know about Economic consulting and what do we do at Compass Lexecon?   Answer Question
    • What attributes make you suitable for the job?   Answer Question