Compass Marketing Coordinator Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Compass Marketing Coordinator Interview Questions

Interviews at Compass

3.5

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Compass in May 2018.

Interview

I applied online and got an email back within a day. Interview was set up for a few days later.

Right off the bat the first question I was asked was, "What do you know about Compass," which really threw me off because this isn't some retail job. Yes, I know about the company and can do basic research, or else I wouldn't have applied. You can't just throw your degree and resume at a bunch of unrelated companies and expect great results, we're worth more than that. Remember, when you interview, its the job of the person to sell YOU on the company as well, which this recruiter didn't do.

The person interviewing me sounded like they were coming up with the questions off the top of their head, very unprepared. After I would finish my answer, there would be a long awkward pause where the interview would then stumble through their next question. All of the questions had little to do with the role itself.

I continued to address the skills and requirements directly from the job description (had it open in front of me) and my resume (on my desktop as well), and where my experience fit in with those. I was asked irrelevant questions that did not play off any of my answers or the dialogue, essentially a non-sequitur, so much to the point where I can't remember all FOUR questions I was asked. The conversation didn't pick up until I started talking about "how cool," and how much I liked the company and its growth. So I guess make sure you stroke the ego right off the bat, probably the one thing I didn't do.

To be fair, you can teach a monkey product knowledge. If your biggest concern is industry knowledge, then I question the hiring process. You can teach anyone about what the company is, but you can't teach someone how to be a leader, a go-getter, to be adaptable in any situation or teach the mindset needed to innovate in marketing.

I did ask about the specific office location I was interviewing for, and asked about its local market share in the city. The interviewer ignored my question and basically said "the office is growing at a fast rate." I then asked about competitors, to which they said there are none. Even if you think there are no competitors, there definitely are because at the end of the day, you are fighting for a customer base that has a variety of options. Some may not be as expansive as yours, or operate on an online platform like yours, but there are always going to be competitors. Of course, the recruiter didn't know that.

It's evident that the company has hired a bunch of recruiters to seek out talent wherever they can, as fast as they can. Other reviews reference late phone calls, lack of organization and interviews being cancelled for no reason/last minute. While I didn't experience any of these, the interview itself was very rushed (about 12 minutes at the most) and it didn't feel very natural. If you're looking for top level talent, well then you're going to need to take the time to find them. This sort of "corral everyone we can and see what we get" mindset isn't going to work for long. I didn't get an offer, but I would have declined anyway.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Compass

Anonymous Employee in Encinitas, CA

Interview

Initially, I had a phone interview with Compass. It was very typical - the recruiter asked standard first interview questions, were straight to the point, etc. I was then asked to partake in a second interview with three different individuals onsite. I had a very positive experience going into the office as everyone was uplifting, outgoing, and clearly all got along like friends. I then was asked to complete a final video call with a person from headquarters in NY where I was asked more challenging and direct interview questions. I doubted my answers during the final interview, but despite my opinion of how the interview went, received an offer for the job a few days later. Now that I work for Compass, I absolutely love it and understand why people say it is one of the best companies to work for. Everyone treats you like family and the culture/vibe is incomparable.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Compass (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

The interview process consisted of an initial phone call for 15 minutes, then three in-person or video interviews for 30 minutes. The interviews were straight-forward and informative about the company and about the role.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Compass in March 2018.

Interview

Recruiter, Hallie Sullivan, was very responsive, extremely helpful with the process, and genuinely wanted me to find the right fit at Compass. Although I was not selected for the position, it was a great experience with the recruiting team.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Compass (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

The interview process is extensive but very beneficial, and the recruiting team is extremely prompt, not to mention kind and helpful. The company is truly looking out for your best interest throughout the process. They also do cross-team interview where someone from another team interviews you. This is someone with no real interest in your hire as you won't be working with their team directly, so it gives the recruiting team a sense as to whether or not that individual likes you and thinks you'd fit the company. I really liked that aspect, because it's an opportunity to learn about someone with a different career background, as well as an opportunity to impress and discuss your ability to work well with the company as a whole.

Interview Questions

• How did you come to learn about Compass and why were you interested?   1 Answer