Compass Product Expert Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Compass

2.9

Featured Interview

Product Expert Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Compass.

Interview

Loved it. My recruiters were great listeners and really helped me develop a path to the best place I could be within the company. I got to meet a team that was really dynamic and enthusiastic about what I could bring to the table. It was really awesome to start working and see that all that was discussed in the interview process was actually true.

Interview Questions

• They worked to find out who I was as a person on top of what made me a good candidate professionally   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Compass

Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Compass (Annapolis, MD) in March 2018.

Interview

The process started off with contact through a recruiter, who was fantastic and very supportive through the whole process. The interview consisted of one video based question round through the website HireVue that tested my abilities as a trainer and asked me to come up with a unique curriculum for a training session, and then two interview with members of the team pertinent to the role I was applying for

Interview Questions

• Teach us anything, prepare a 5 minute training that you can deliver in one take on our video platform, HireVue   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Compass (Atlanta, GA) in April 2018.

Interview

Great people. Of course, as a startup, there’s still a lot of people wearing a few hats to get the job done which can cause the need for rescheduling or coordinating last minute changes. But if you come from any environment where the landscape is always growing, you’ll understand it’s only temporary and for good reason. The recruiter Keith was very cordial and inviting.

If you’re not passionate about people, this isn’t the place for you! Compass is looking for people who will give 150% every time whether they’re looking or not. With that freedom comes great responsibility.

If you want to be a part of something growing quickly, changing the landscape of an entire industry and giving back at the same time, then apply.

Interview Questions

• How will your current experience translate into how you want to impact this new role?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Compass (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

Process was laid back and simple. Everyone was very nice and friendly. Normal interview questions. Everyone seemed focused on the goals for the company. Looking for people with good personalities

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Compass (New York, NY) in February 2018.

Interview

The whole interview process was very quick. Although they move fast, they are dedicated to making sure you are well informed about the role and Company values. Each interview felt more like a conversation rather than an interview. They want to know what you are passionate about and what your story is. Compass above all cares about their culture and they are looking for people who not only will align with culture but will help continue to foster their values.

There will be several interviews with people from different areas of the company. Depending on the role, there may be a skills test that is required.

They are pretty accommodating around your availability and may require an in-person interview or video conference calls if you can't make it to the office.

One negative is that because they move fast, there is a higher chance the position you are going for may fill before you finish your interview process. Make sure your personality shines the first time around.

Interview Questions

• I honestly don't remember the specific questions, but just make sure have stories that answer the questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Compass (New York, NY) in January 2018.

Interview

The process was really fast to a point where it was unreal. Every time I had interviewed, I heard back from the recruiter either same day or next business day. I also met with future peers and not just upper management. They wanted the people who would actually be working with me to give their input which was a real breath of fresh air compared to previous companies. There were multiple interviews, first with the recruiter, then two separate peers, then a manager, then an HR rep to see if I was a good culture fit. I wasn't moved forward for that exact position but they still were really impressed with me and moved forward with me (with my consent) for a different position, Product Expert. I had one more interview with who would be my current manager, then received an offer.

Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Compass (Beverly Hills, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

I was first contacted by a recruiter in NYC to talk about my previous jobs and experience. A second recruiter called me the following week to give me a heads up on the process (I would be facilitating a 5-minute training to my computer which would then be shared with hiring managers). I then had an interview over the internet with a manager in NYC and a final interview with a manager in person.

Product Expert Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Compass.

Interview

I was referred by a friend and was contacted by HR right away. The screening call went well and they scheduled two back-to-back Google Hangout interviews. In the end of the first interview the interviewer asked me what was the name of the second interviewer and said that that person just texted him in Slack that they wouldn’t be able to make it to their interview with me. I followed up with HR and received a formal rejection email the next day. Stopping the scheduled interview process in the middle seemed to be rather rude and dismissive, and Compass made it really clear that I don’t belong.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Compass (New York, NY) in April 2018.

Interview

Was a referral through a current employee, stated out as a phone call lasting around 30 minutes. Conversation went well.

After the phone interview was completed within 20-30 minutes later, was invited for an in person interview in their HQ (Downtown NYC).

During the week up to the interview, the initial person scheduled to interview was swapped for a different individual. Compass was transparent about this and continued with email updates.

Getting to the interview, met with another individual different from the person suggested I was going to meet. We small talked on our way to the conference room.

Everything seeming went well till I explained I worked on campaigns advocating for families with higher financial needs. That caused the conversation to go sour as I was reminded that Compass is a LUX brand and was asked how would I transition to working for a brand like compass. I explained I wear man hats, while advocacy, I also have worked for a LUX brand that advertises humanity (similar to Compass). The energy felt right, we got along great by the end of the interview and on their way to get the second person (who was going to be my manager for the position) it was suggested I ask more questions.

Second person came, we moved to another conference room as the room we used was booked and again, had another great conversation. We both came the same previous employer at one point which made the conversation feel familiar.

We shook hands and was said I will hear back by Friday. (3 days later).

This is how it got sour.

After Friday, heard nothing back. Waited the weekend, still nothing, Sent a thank you email on Saturday. No reply or update during the following week, till I reached out to the recruiter who set everything up. They said they'll get back to me as soon as possible and by the end of the day I received a generic decline email. Nothing personalized, no feedback, no reasons.

Really disappointed considering how fast things were moving to get the interview started.
    My feedback to them is to keep your word on timeline and provide valuable feedback to help people grow when you do not accept them as a new employee.

I would consider joining their team again the future.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Compass (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2018.

Interview

The interview process initially flowed smoothly. I submitted my application on a Thursday/Friday if I recall correctly, and by the following week a recruiter on the east coast reach out to schedule time to go through the phone screening.
    I was pretty excited at first to interview for this company, after research, I figured this could be my next home for the long-term. Glassdoor reviews were pretty transparent and had decent ratings... so I was stoked.

After my phone conversation, I was moved to the other round. This initially was scheduled as a 1-hour video conference for the following week. The night before the second interview, I received an email informing me of a date/time change. The following day I received further update that they wanted me to come in for an in-person interview.

The Interview:
    I met with 3 employees during my interview ("operations hiring manager", a new manager, and a representative from the People and Culture team). The conversations went great in my opinion, I was excited about the possibility of joining this Company. During the interview I asked about the next steps of the interview process, and was informed that there would be an assessment. In my final interview that day, I was informed that I would hear something by Friday.

Let's just say 6-7 Fridays later, as I am writing this review, I have not received any updates, even though I have followed up twice with both recruiters (the recruiter that conducted my phone interview, and the recruiter that scheduled my in-person interview) for feedback or updates regarding my application. That honestly left a bad taste in my mouth. I would have even settled for a generic rejection letter (which they supposedly sent but I never received...and trust me I scoured my Spam folder, searching under every title possible) at this point.

What started out as a decent experience, turned sour pretty quickly sad to say, especially since previous Glasdoor reviews, indicated that even if they didn't place you in the role you applied for, if they considered you a "great fit for company culture" they would advise accordingly and work with you to place in a role that utilizes your experience and talents. But once again, with no further communication or feedback after my interview, I guess I will never know what my strong points or weak points were. For a company growing at the speed Compass is growing, I would recommend they try to be consistent and professional in their interview process. If you are not moving on with a candidate, be courteous and let them know, especially when you provided an end-date on which they would hear something.

Disappointment is an understatement. This was a classic, don't call us, we will call you.