Compass Strategic Growth Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Compass Strategic Growth Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Compass

2.7

Strategic Growth Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Compass.

Interview

AWFUL!! One of the worst I have experienced.
First the recruiter emailed me to schedule an interview, I responded and he never responded. 2 weeks later he reached out again as if we had never emailed before.
I spoke with him and detailed the job well and the compensation as well. After interviewing with 2 very nice ladies. I spoke with the hiring manager. He showed up late to our skype call. So we had to try to schedule a second interview with him because of his lack of respect for potential employee. He canceled 3 times for the second part of the interview. We finally narrowed down some time and he was doing something else while we were speaking on skype. The rudest interview I have experienced. After this lack of respect of my time I had decided not to take the job.
A week later I got a standard email saying I did not get the job, what a lack of tact. The email should have come from the recruiter not some kind of generic email.

Interview Questions

• Why compass ?
    How are you going to learn the Real estate industry ?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Compass

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Compass (New York, NY) in December 2017.

Interview

Terrible experience. Recruiter sounded very young and rushed through the initial phone screen, it was clear he did not know how to connect to people on a general level. He mentioned that my background was great and that they were looking for people with software sales experience for the strategic growth manager role as these types have proved to be more successful in the position. I actually have the specific experience they were looking for however never got to getting a second interview to discuss further. They sent me a generic email saying they were not moving forward which I thought was very impersonal - this prompted me to follow up with the recruiter to kindly ask for feedback on the interview since I was surprised however he never wrote back. Just has a lot to say about the company and how they operate - DO NOT recommend!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Compass (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

An internal recruiter contacted me about the role. I hadn't heard of the company prior to that.

The phone call with the recruiter went well, and I had a second round phone call with another Strategic Growth Manager which also went well. They had me into the office for an in-person interview, but that is where the process took a turn for the worst. Firstly, they said to set aside an extra hour to "maybe" meet other team members but did not tell me who I'd be meeting with except for one person. When I followed up with the recruiter about who else I might meet, there was no response. For the in-person interview, I met with another person on the team in a similar role. I found it strange that for a third round interview I was not meeting with the hiring manager at that point in the process because I had already met a team member prior to coming in. The person interviewing me was very unprofessional. She came with her lunch and ate while I interviewed with her, saying she had a meeting directly after. She asked me questions that were not very relevant to the job, and cut the interview short to get to her meeting. All told, we spoke for 20 minutes in total. I was only able to ask 2 questions and didn't get a chance to learn more about what the job would entail or what the company was like. She was clearly not trained on how to interview and didn't even seem to want to talk to me. After that, the recruiter returned and walked me to the door. I was told no one else on the team would be available to meet but then received a stock rejection email a few days later (On a Saturday night, which was weird). In general, it was absolutely absurd that someone who clearly had no management experience decided my fate for the next round. Compass needs to get their hiring process straightened out because that was one of the worst interviews I've been to in my professional career.

Interview Questions

• What is an emotional situation where you had to convince someone to do something?   Answer Question

Strategic Growth Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Compass in October 2016.

Interview

I submitted my application through Compass’ site and was contacted by an internal recruiter to schedule a phone interview 2 days later. 30 minutes before the phone interview the internal recruiter rescheduled due to a last minute offsite appointment. 2 days later I awaited our rescheduled call and didn't hear from him. I made contact and the internal recruiter said there was an issue with his phone's reception. We rescheduled the phone interview for the third time.

5 days later I was contacted for my phone interview. The internal recruiter outlined the phone interview as a preliminary, non-technical interview, asked me to tell him about myself and then shared with me more on Compass and the position. 15 minutes into my phone interview he started wrapping up the call. I asked if this was the entire phone interview and if Compass was still considering applicants for the position. His reply was yes, complimented my qualifications as they related to the position and said he would like to schedule a video call as a next step in the process.

Following my phone interview I received a follow-up email which requested my availability for the video call. I shared a wide range of availability and 5 days passed with no response to a handful of my inquiries.

20 days into the interview process, having only completed my phone interview, I reached out to Compass and was prepared to rescind my application. I learned the internal recruiter had left the company and they had passed on my candidacy.

To be fair, I still believe factions of Compass are stellar but my limited experience with them was disorganized and off-putting.

Strategic Growth Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Compass.

Interview

It wasn't an interview, it was an interrogation. The interviewer was extremely curt, flippant and rude. His first question was "why do you want to work at Compass?" When I told him I was enthusiastically recruited, and the recruiter indicated that I could learn more about what the role entailed on the call, he responded with "I don't have time to answer those kinds of questions," and "I only have 5 minutes." Fantastic. He spoke in an irritated, hurried tone, and proceeded to have me deliver a sales pitch à la Wolf of Wall Street. Not a role play, a sales pitch (the most archaic, old-world interview tactic ever from an "innovative company"). He was unreasonably hostile, even abusive. After which he basically invalidated the exercise, by saying that at Compass they don't do quick pitches, they get to know their customer (you are better than I--loud and clear, little fella with a Napoleon complex.). At this point, I want to be finished with the interview. I'm wondering WHY they interview this way. No structure to the questions, and 5 MINUTES. An in-person interview should be a behavioral assessment, culture fit, role play, etc. A glance at my resume would reveal the strength of my work history in sales. There were no behavior-based questions in my interview. My takeaway, is that this company has no workplace culture or core values. I would never recommend interviewing with this company, no matter how attractive the offer is.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Compass (Chicago, IL) in December 2017.

Interview

A great place to apply if you interested in being condensed to by someone who has no respect for your time. The worst interview experience I've ever had. Let me start from the beginning.

Was passively contacted by a recruiter on Linkedin. I wasn't actively looking but the recruiter was great, friendly, and peaked my interest.

The first person I spoke with was a SGM himself and we had a great conversation. He was informative, helpful, and answered all my questions regarding the position, responsibilities, and company. He provided me with excellent feedback and was transparent and upfront in his opinion that I'd be a great fit for this role.

Coming out of that interview I felt good about Compass culturally, until I showed up for my next interview with a Business Development person who has been with Compass for 3 years based out of New York.

She turned me off the opportunity almost immediatly by making it clear from the onset that she had better things to do than speak with me, and that her time was more valuable than mine. She had not reviewed my background, my resume, and she had no notes or information from the recruiter nor the SGM I already spoke with. As a result she ended up asking me the exact same questions I had already answered. The interview was scheduled for 45 minutes but at around the 30 minute mark she informed me she had 5 minutes left and asked if I had any questions. When I asked my question, she literally refused to answer it -- instead (in the most condensing, unprofessional, and arrogant way possible) proceeded to lecture me for 5 minutes on why she wouldn't answer my inquiry into the position, and why she didn't like my question -- question being how my background and skillsets would tie into the position. When she was done, I thanked her for her time and hung up.

She obviously didn't care that I had taken time off my current job to speak with her. I had spent several hours reviewing the companies technology and preparing, but none of that came up, and she was not prepared for the call at all. I don't even think she knew I was currently employed based on her failing to review my credentials beforehand. A complete and utter waste of time, with a grain of salt in that I had received other offers at the same time and was able to withdraw from consideration for a role at Compass based on the, seemingly, toxic and arrogant culture this person embodied. Working for or with someone like that would be a nightmare, I'm sure.

I don't know if she was having a bad day, or if she is always like this -- but this person has no business being the face of Compass in the interview process. I'm ecstatic to be starting my new job in the next few weeks and thankful I dodged a bullet with Compass. I would not recommend applying here to anyone.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you lost a client and what you learned from it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Compass (Washington, DC) in December 2017.

Interview

Submitted resume and was emailed about setting up a phone screen. On the telephone interview it was clear that my experience matched the position. I was told that my information would be “presented to the local team” to decide if they would like to bring me in for a face to face. I
    must say, this practice is how workplaces have become so non-diverse. When people who all look like each other decide who joins the team it affects any hope for a diverse work group. Needless to say I received no call back. Afterwards I went to the website and reviewed the staff pictures for the office I was applying for and it became clear why. Side note- I am colleagues with 2 people who work there now, with less relevant experience than me. But they “fit the image” more so than I do per my inside source. If you’re looking for a company that is truly color blind-skip Compass.

Interview Questions

• With no tech background what qualifies you for this position?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Compass (New York, NY).

Interview

I am happily employed with a great Fortune 100 company but I got a LinkedIn recruitment message from Charles “Charlie” and his professionalism and passion for Compass intrigued me. So I took an interview, a bit reluctantly. I ended up continuing through a few rounds of interviews because my interest in their mission and their brand just kept growing. They have a top notch product and organization and Charlie was AWESOME to work with. He returned all my calls and emails promptly. He coached me and answered my questions and he gave terrific advice.

From the get-go I was reluctant to go back into sales as I am transitioning into operational management at my company. And in the end, the hiring team agreed that I probably wasn’t a good fit but I wasn’t upset about it at all. In the end, I got to me meet some very intelligent and tenured professionals and I learned a lot about Compass in the process!

I’d recommend this process to anyone. Thanks for a great experience, Charlie!

Interview Questions

• I was asked to role play a sales pitch. They want you to be absolutely excellent in your pitch!   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Compass (New York, NY).

Interview

I was actively reached out to by recruiting based on my background. The recruiter told me they are looking for people with my background and that I could be a good fit. I had a phone screen, Skype interview with a current rep, and finally with the manager in person. I received a ton of a good feedback originally until the very end with my in face interview with the manager. They were very professional, I have no qualms on how I was treated. I ultimately wound up not getting an offer because they said my experience wasn’t up to what they were looking for. This baffled me because that’s why I was reached out to. I would suggest that Recruiting vets their prospects a little bit better so we’re not wasting anyone’s time off from their current jobs. I put a lot of time into this interview process and it was frustrating to get to the end and be told my experience wasn’t enough.

Interview Questions

• Asked to pitch a broker on why they should come to Compass.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Compass (New York, NY) in May 2018.

Interview

Was reached out to by a recruiter at Compass. Only went through the initial screening. One of the best initial hiring conversations I’ve experienced in my career. She sold the company well, understood my relevant experience and skill set and overall it was a great fit. Given my current situation, it just simply wasn’t the right moment to continue through the process. She was very understanding and kind. Will absolutely keep my eye on this company and if things change, I would love to peruse an opportunity here.