Condé Nast Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 15, 2017

2.6

Copy Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Condé Nast (Chicago, IL) in October 2010.

Interview

Saw ad on craigslist and sent a resume and cover letter to the hiring manager via e-mail in mid-October. I was selected as a short-list candidate a few days after sending the resume and asked to complete an editing test within a few days, turning a poorly written passage into a finished piece suitable for publication. I sent the edited submission by the deadline. The process was delayed several times until I finally learned that I didn't get the job about 3 1/2 weeks later. The delays were frustrating.

Interview Questions

• The editing test was a challenge because I was required to edit for syntax and style without losing the writer's personality. It's tricky making a judgement call about how much editing is too much or not enough. It would have been helpful to be more familiar with the publication. Although I had read articles from Ars Technica from time to time, it was't something I read regularly. The timing of the test was also tricky because it had to be completed during the week and I had a full-time job.   Answer Question

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mexico City (Mexico)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Condé Nast (Mexico City (Mexico)) in September 2014.

Interview

I had three sets of interviews, one with the web editor, another with the editor-in-chief and human resources. I was asked to go through a writing test too. The process took around a month, I initially interviewed for a position as collaborator but then the vacancy came available. I got the interview by contacting directly the editor and sending her my CV.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths?   Answer Question
    • This job it's about long hours and a lot of commitment, are you sure you are ready for it?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Condé Nast in March 2016.

Interview

applied online for teen vogue sales associate the same day it was posted in career portal. received a call next day from HR that the TV job had already been filled (they filled it before posting). she asked me the basic phone screening questions you can expect and then asked if was interested in any other magazines. i said yes, so she scheduled a video interview as round 2. had to film myself live on camera answering questions. i was timed and did not get to see the questions in advance. could not playback or re-record my answers. after that I was called in for two rounds of in-person interviews, the first with one of my would-be managers and the final with the publisher of the magazine. whole process took about 6 weeks in total.

Interview Questions

• 1. tell us about your previous experience and how it applies to this job
      2. why do you want to work at conde nast
      3. why do you want to work in publishing / media
      4. what challenges do you see facing this industry
      5. greatest strengths / weakness
      6. describe work environment in which you perform best
      7. salary expectations (salary is non-negotiable for entry level, they only ask this to see how diplomatic your response is)

basically standard interview questions. the video interview was most challenging because you had to record yourself on your laptop, but did not know what the questions would be and had 30-60 seconds to respond.   Answer Question

Advertising Sales Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Condé Nast (London, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online and got an email inviting me for an interview at the Vogue House. You need to call them to confirm you are attending the interview but don't be surprised they are really rude on the phone.

On the day you start with a presentation about the company, we had to bring a filled form about ourselves and we were 11 to 15 candidates. The interview is based on a psychometric test that is extremely long, I could barely finish it on time. While we are all doing the test we got called one by one during it for a one on one interview that is the shortest interview ever. Everyone seems a bit stuck up and dress to impress but try not to over do it, you won't be there long and they barely look at you, 90% of the time you are sitting down.

There is a second/last stage if I pass the interview but I am still waiting to hear from them.

Interview Questions

• Where would you like to be in 5 years?
      Why do you want to work for Conde Nast?
      What are your pet peeves?|
      How would a good friend describe you?
      How would your enemy describe you?
      What do you think about this test?
      What other companies have you applied for?
      What magazines do you read?   Answer Question

Senior User Experience/UI Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mumbai (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Condé Nast (Mumbai (India)) in May 2015.

Interview

same one call me and meet with him in Starbucks and he give same task like make wireframe for vogue website.and after this i meet with art director he show me web site and speck same UX question

Interview Questions

• 1. How do you define UX/design?

2. What is your design process?

What are some apps or websites that you love?   1 Answer

Online Senior Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Condé Nast in April 2015.

Interview

I interviewed with the HR manager first which I assume is a standard prescreening interview with Conde Nast. The interview actually went really well and then she asked me to wait in the reception area because she wanted to see if the hiring manager from the magazine could meet with me. The executive editor (hiring manager) was actually available and I went to meet her on her floor. The interview with the executive editor went well too but it was more intense and she asked a lot of questions regarding my experience, and behavioral questions regarding the role I applied for.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I replied to the LinkedIn Pulse job post for CNE a division of CN with letter & portfolio. The lead engineer's assistant replied a few days later to schedule a phone interview with him, the lead engineer & the director of engineering.

Round 1: Phone Screen
    I received the call & answered their usual questions. They were keen to emphasize they want full stack because the team operates that way, preferring "open collaboration" where anyone does as much as possible.

Round 2: tech test
    I used the recommended 4.5-6hrs to complete the tech test which was to code thescene.com with the swiftype API & pushing to their private Git repo. It was really long & dissuading. I should've charged a fee.

Round 3: edits
    Git commit messages & times were closely examined. They asked why I coded it the way I did, what I'd done differently, then asked if I could do those particular recommendations. I estimated it'd been another 2-3hrs.

I got a job elsewhere so I stopped spending time coding here.

Interview Questions

• Go through the process of what happens after you type a website in the URL bar.   1 Answer
    • What is Git, assume someone who knows nothing about code?   1 Answer
    • What is your career goal?   1 Answer
    • What is a load balancer? Describe in detail. How would you code 1?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Sent the director of engineering an e-mail along with my linkedin and links to side projects. He sent me an e-mail shortly after to schedule a phone interview with his assistant. I received a call from him with another person on the line, I'm assuming the person was a software engineer on the team. First they ask if I have any questions for them. Then phone call went straight to technical questions, no behavioral questions. The technical questions did not compose of any algorithm or coding questions... it was more networks and how to set up the environment.

Interview Questions

• 1) Go through the process of what happens after you type a website in the URL bar.
      2) What is an IP address?
      3) What is webrick/handle requests?
      4) Scaling for high traffic websites
      5) What are load balancers?   Answer Question

Account Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY) in July 2011.

Interview

Straight forward. Contacts. Past wins. The final interview was tough. The hiring manager went line for line through my resume and asked detailed questions for each of my past jobs.

Interview Questions

• They asked for a 90 day plan.   1 Answer

General/Editorial Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

I had arranged applied for a specific photo editor job, but also expressed my interest in other positions that could utilize my qualifications. I am a senior level creative with 15 years experience in the business. I rarely do interviewed with HR, usually the staff that are actually hiring. The woman I met at Conde was the cliche "Conde" girl. She had a horrible attitude of superiority. She ended up asking me superfluous questions that were insulting. Trick questions really. One of the worst interview experiences in my life. This is a horrible HR dept, just to warn you.

Interview Questions

• Which other publications would you like to work for and why?   1 Answer
    • Do you think the HR dept. has attitude   1 Answer