Condé Nast Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 14, 2017

2.6

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY).

Interview

Fairly straightforward for an EA position. Met with editors and had an edit test. It was more a discussion of the position than anything else, but they do like to see you're culturally inclined at Conde Nast.

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Interviewed directly with the editor. Straightforward, not much prep needed as long as you know your stuff, such as why this company and where you want to be in 5 years. Make sure you can answer things succinctly and that you know the brand well. For example, know writers and articles, and how the brand impacts your life.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY).

Interview

I obtained interview through a temp agency, for which I had worked several contract positions. The recruiter arranged initial interview with a senior marketing executive. Three interviews resulted.The first, was a very brief meet and greet with the exec at CN office; I was asked to come back for longer comprehensive interview In a second interview, I was briefed on a new administrative position in a experimental "think tank" department involved in social media/tech/app development. Also, was asked about my role at prior contract position. The exec mostly was tight lipped about giving any more info about the position and specifics of what was being developed in regards to the "think tank", it was all very mysterious. I actually learned more about the CN famed cafeteria; the diversity of cafeteria food selections, apparently is one of the perks.The third appointment, I met "think tank" team and interviewed with two senior tech developers. FYI, showed up at last interview soaking wet, and a half-hour late, due to torrential rain and subway shut-down. That was a deal breaker-LOL, but we graciously proceed with interview as a formality. Was not too disappointed, my gut impression of CN culture was later confirmed by a consoling friend and ex-CN associate. This friend worked at CN for years as creative editor under a big shot, mentioned that no one ever moves up, only move to different departments; recalled long hrs and low pay resulting in creative exploitation by bigger fish.

Interview Questions

• First interview was just quick face to face, In a second interview, I was briefed on a new administrative position in an experiment "think tank" department involved in social media/tech/app development. Also, was asked about my role at prior contract position. The exec mostly was tight lipped about giving any more info about the position and
      apparently is one of the perks.The third appointment, with "think tank" team members, was asked how I helped the team at my prior position. What achievements was I most proud of accomplishing in my last position? Also, Did I use social media, and my experience with it; Did I read any blogs, and which ones?; Lastly, what was my experience with technology/apps, and which did I use?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Condé Nast.

Interview

In person interview with associate publisher and finance director. Pretty straight forward, we discussed my previous experience and what I was looking for in my next position. There was nothing technical that was discussed

Interview Questions

• What was your favorite part of you previous position? What was your least favorite? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

SENIOR DIGITAL EDITOR Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

Interview

I was freelancing at Condé Nast and I was asked if I wanted a full-time position. I happily said yes. Then came the long, drawn-out process of meeting with everyone important on the digital and print sides. This took about 2 months. The HR interview was speedy and perfunctory.

Interview Questions

• What are you most passionate about when it comes to writing?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I wanted a specific amount (I needed to relocate from upstate NY for the position), and they low-balled me by $5k. Aim high if you are negotiating with them.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I interviewed at Condé Nast (Los Angeles, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

I interviewed for the Sales Assistant position. I was super excited about the opportunity in general. However, the interviewer/Director had a negative perspective regarding the company. Without me even having a chance to ask her about the company's opportunities for growth, immediately when she sat down to interview me she said the following: "one of the negative things about Conde Nast is that there's no room for growth, that's just how it is. Are you fine with staying in a support role?" Huh? Why on earth would you say such a thing to a interviewee? Who applies for an assistant job with the intention of staying in that role forever? Obviously, I responded stating that I would like to grow professionally there, which I knew that wasn't the answer she was looking for. But at that point I was just over the interview. Also, she mentioned something along the lines of the fact that Conde Nast thinks they are the best of the best and how they think it's easy to get clients to work with them because of that and rolled her eyes saying that is not the case. At the end of the interview, I just felt confused as to why Conde Nast would hire someone with such a bad attitude regarding the company? It was clear she didn't enjoy working there. After the interview, I was no longer excited about working there. Why would I want to work at a company whose own director has negative opinions about the brand?

Conde Nast should seriously reconsider who they have interviewing potential candidates. Perhaps have someone who is from HR do the interviewing. If that's not possible, train the selected interviewer on how to represent the brand appropriately.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Condé Nast.

Interview

Phone interview - about 20 mins, asked a lot about my current position and current bonuses at my job. I felt that the interviewer didn't quite understand the nature of my field that I was interviewing for, to be honest. I did not wish to pursue it any further. Management position didn't seem to be managing a team, but more managing one particular aspect of the job on my own, which is not where I am looking to progress in my field.

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Condé Nast.

Interview

I got a phone interview probably less than a week after applying. The interview was short and seemed more like a conversation. She said she wanted me to come for an in person interview, but I never heard back even after sending a follow up email.

Assistant Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY).

Interview

Pros: HR is very helpful and guides you through the whole process with questios. Interview questions are really basic. Be prepared and take notes on what the HR rep tells you on the phone. Know your skills very well, and relate your skills to what the position responsibilities are.

Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

It was a quick, smooth process, interview had two parts. Received a phone call with the decision, they would notify either way. Friendly, authentic people, little wait time for the interview itself.