Condé Nast Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Condé Nast Interview Questions

Updated Nov 14, 2017

2.6

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Condé Nast.

Interview

In person interview with associate publisher and finance director. Pretty straight forward, we discussed my previous experience and what I was looking for in my next position. There was nothing technical that was discussed

Interview Questions

• What was your favorite part of you previous position? What was your least favorite? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

SENIOR DIGITAL EDITOR Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY).

Interview

I was freelancing at Condé Nast and I was asked if I wanted a full-time position. I happily said yes. Then came the long, drawn-out process of meeting with everyone important on the digital and print sides. This took about 2 months. The HR interview was speedy and perfunctory.

Interview Questions

• What are you most passionate about when it comes to writing?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I wanted a specific amount (I needed to relocate from upstate NY for the position), and they low-balled me by $5k. Aim high if you are negotiating with them.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I interviewed at Condé Nast (Los Angeles, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

I interviewed for the Sales Assistant position. I was super excited about the opportunity in general. However, the interviewer/Director had a negative perspective regarding the company. Without me even having a chance to ask her about the company's opportunities for growth, immediately when she sat down to interview me she said the following: "one of the negative things about Conde Nast is that there's no room for growth, that's just how it is. Are you fine with staying in a support role?" Huh? Why on earth would you say such a thing to a interviewee? Who applies for an assistant job with the intention of staying in that role forever? Obviously, I responded stating that I would like to grow professionally there, which I knew that wasn't the answer she was looking for. But at that point I was just over the interview. Also, she mentioned something along the lines of the fact that Conde Nast thinks they are the best of the best and how they think it's easy to get clients to work with them because of that and rolled her eyes saying that is not the case. At the end of the interview, I just felt confused as to why Conde Nast would hire someone with such a bad attitude regarding the company? It was clear she didn't enjoy working there. After the interview, I was no longer excited about working there. Why would I want to work at a company whose own director has negative opinions about the brand?

Conde Nast should seriously reconsider who they have interviewing potential candidates. Perhaps have someone who is from HR do the interviewing. If that's not possible, train the selected interviewer on how to represent the brand appropriately.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Condé Nast.

Interview

Phone interview - about 20 mins, asked a lot about my current position and current bonuses at my job. I felt that the interviewer didn't quite understand the nature of my field that I was interviewing for, to be honest. I did not wish to pursue it any further. Management position didn't seem to be managing a team, but more managing one particular aspect of the job on my own, which is not where I am looking to progress in my field.

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Condé Nast.

Interview

I got a phone interview probably less than a week after applying. The interview was short and seemed more like a conversation. She said she wanted me to come for an in person interview, but I never heard back even after sending a follow up email.

Assistant Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY).

Interview

Pros: HR is very helpful and guides you through the whole process with questios. Interview questions are really basic. Be prepared and take notes on what the HR rep tells you on the phone. Know your skills very well, and relate your skills to what the position responsibilities are.

Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

It was a quick, smooth process, interview had two parts. Received a phone call with the decision, they would notify either way. Friendly, authentic people, little wait time for the interview itself.

Fashion Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

The interview was maybe 10 minutes long. Most of the interview was focused around my experience listed on my resume. Following that I was ask which magazines I was interested in working at and finally i was asked if I had any questions. No jobs were available at the time so I was told to keep in contact and to look out on the career page for openings that I would be interested in.

Senior Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Was invited to come see a publication's beautiful office, got a tour, and then met with almost every team member I'd be working with. We had a dialog about things we find important, our approaches to collaborating with product & design teams, our past experiences (good and bad), things we find challenging—you can find out a lot about both sides of the table by the answers to these questions.

After that, things got more technical. I was asked about my familiarity with some of the technologies they use, and how I might go about debugging particular issues related to them. Mostly questions related to technical critical thinking applied to their specific stack.

Lastly, I got a fairly simple brain teaser that really just tested my knowledge of interacting with the DOM through Javascript, and handling state. I kind of over-thunk it, but once I realized the answer they were looking for, it appeared to be more of a simple screening test that they could have asked on the phone first. I was relieved for that to be the final boss, so to speak.

The second part of this process was meeting with the head of engineering, who wanted to meet me & walk me through all the design goals of the engineering team across the company over the next few years. It was really cool to see how they're building everything out, and to know that they are keeping everyone in the loop about how they're going about it. That conversation is a rare experience in a company this large.

Interview Questions

• What steps would you take to optimize this particular page?   1 Answer

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Condé Nast (San Francisco, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Short and cold. The interviewer seemed like they didn't care about the answers that I was giving. It was pretty obvious that she thought the interview was a waste of her time for some reason.