Condé Nast Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 10, 2017

2.6

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Very thorough. I met with four separate people and was offered a position within a few hours. The hiring process was quick and painless. They asked me when I would like to start and my offer letter was drawn up and sent to me within 12 hours.

Interview Questions

• About my volunteer experience   1 Answer

Digital Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Condé Nast.

Interview

Applied online, a week later had a Phone Interview with HR, interviewed on-site with two heads of the department, received an offer about a week later. The whole process took 3-4 weeks.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions, just practical examples of impact to the brand   Answer Question

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY).

Interview

Very formal, everything went through HR. Multiple forms to fill out, writing samples required. 4 separate rounds of interviews with different officers. Scheduling was a bit of a problem as they would often ask if I could meet during times I had already listed as unavailable.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No room for negotiation. Tried for a higher salary and was told the base pay was company policy across the board. Assistants do more work than many editors in a work day and work many more hours.

Freelance Fashion Assistant - GQ Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Condé Nast in October 2014.

Interview

First off, let's be clear about what Conde Nast means by "freelance":

For an "indefinite" period (could be anywhere from 1-2 years):

-You earn $10/hr ("but it's ok because you can earn overtime" and it's understood you will work lots overtime...hello weekends

-You do not receive health insurance or other benefits that staff employees typically receive

-Your name is not printed on the monthly masthead as a member of the mag's "staff"

That said, it was the worst interview processes I've ever undergone. I waited over an hour to be interviewed by the current fashion assistant who was nice but really gave no apology at all and simply assumed that I should understand because, well, it's GQ.

The interview questions were typical...I explained my background and what led me to GQ and the current fashion assistant explained the role and expectations.

I get it, Conde Nast is cutting costs left and right (just Google "Conde Nast layoffs"). In the end, I don't feel like I should be begging on all fours for a $10/hr job with no benefits or real recognition just because it's GQ.

I couldn't survive on $10/hr in the city unless I had my parents to support me. So, the cycle of the privileged few getting their feet in the door continues.

Ad Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY).

Interview

Several meetings and conversations during the interview process for an entry level position - staff was really friendly and answered questions / seemed like a great working environment for an entry level position / office was beautiful and seemed like a positive team / lots of people my age on the team

Interview Questions

• How would I feel working for a job share?   1 Answer

It was freelance so no benefits, which is not what was originally presented

Digital Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied through Craigslist and was contacted by a talent acquisition manager within a day or two. We set up a day and time for me to come in and meet for the initial screening. This lasted 30 min. or so and mostly revolved around my background, the position itself, salary range, etc. Very cordial and friendly. She set up a phone interview with the Sr. Technology Manager to take place a couple of days later.

Phone interview went well. I expected it to be more of the same regarding background and the position, which a portion of it was, but the brunt turned into a lot of textbook JavaScript questions—nothing too crazy, but enough to show whether you had a grasp of the basics—as well as thoughts on various dev practices. It was great in that it sparked additional conversation giving more of a sense of ability. After this I was contacted again by the talent acquisition manager and was asked to put my info into the Condé Nast career system and she set up an in-person interview with the Sr. Technology Manager, Sr. Software Engineer and Director of Product Management the following week.

Again, everyone was very friendly and it wasn't a high-stress situation. The Software Engineer quizzed me on JS, CSS and HTML. Most questions were text-book type of questions but there were a few situational questions to see how you'd approach solving a problem. The Sr. Tech Manager and I followed up on our phone conversation and talked about the quizzing from the Software Engineer. The Director of Product Management and I talked a bit about Analytics, Dev Ops, and other things. Overall, things went well. I made a couple of stupid syntax mistakes when doing the JS quiz but not enough to really be a deal-breaker.

Heard back a couple of days later from the Talent Acquisition Manager that they were going forward with a other candidates—they were looking for someone who had more of dev ops and analytics background in addition to be being a front-end coder.

All in all, a very straight-forward interview process. No dragging things out. No flakiness. Nice folks. I'd apply again if something more in line with my skillset came up.

Interview Questions

• Not really a question but when Analytics and Dev Ops experience came up, that was a bit unexpected as it wasn't really mentioned in the job description or by the interviewers.   Answer Question

Art Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

I applied online through the Conde Nast careers site and was contacted the same day by HR to set up an interview. On the day of my interview I met with HR as well as the person that would be my direct supervisor, interview lasted one hour.

Interview Questions

• All the questions were pretty standard interview questions, there weren't any truly unexpected questions. There was an emphasis on professionalism and being able to handle speaking with upper management within the company in an intelligent and professional way, and asking if I would be comfortable with that.   Answer Question

Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

Got a phone call from HR and they asked me a few brief questions then I went in for an in-depth interview with HR.

After a few weeks I met with my potential direct managers for about 20-30 minutes each. Standard questions, and I answered with what they wanted to hear (whatever correlated to the position) - get those buzzwords in and they'll be happy!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I negotiated for overtime pay and they accepted, but the base pay was SO low that it seemed fair, it was!

Assistant Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

Got an email to set up phone interview with HR Recruiter, had an in person interview next week, and a second in person interview the following week

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY).

Interview

Very to the point, no time wasted, edit test given (editorial department)