ConocoPhillips Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 4, 2017

2.8

Land New Hire Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ConocoPhillips (Houston, TX).

Interview

Applied through University on-campus interviews system. Once accepted for an interview, scheduled one a week later. The interview was pretty much as expected. They dived right into the behavioral questions and had one person asking the questions while another took notes. They are looking for you to use the STAR method of answering behavioral questions and will probe you further on each answer you give. I tried to be prepared as much as possible by looking at all the interview reviews on this website but they still managed to come up with new ones. The interview lasted a little over an hour and later that day they asked me to dinner. For on-campus interviews, this is the equivalent of a second interview. They only ask the ones they really liked that day to join them (4 out of 16 in my case). The dinner is pretty laid back, just practice good manners and try to talk to all the different people around you. After two weeks I was offered the job and took it after about a week of thinking about it. Overall, just have stories prepared for the interview and remember that it's just a conversation. They don't discard you if you take some time to answer, I asked to take some time to think on several questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They're extremely flexible with the start dates but wouldn't budge on the salary, bonus, vacation, and moving stipend.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at ConocoPhillips (Houston, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

Came to my school and 3 people interviewed me. My resume was pulled from the resume book that is compiled by my department. All candidates were brought in and given an overview of the department and what work they do. Then we interviewed with the panel one by one. It was a very casual and laid back interview. It was more behavioral and experience based than technical.

Interview Questions

• Which of your previous work experiences did you learn the most from and why?   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stillwater, OK

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ConocoPhillips (Stillwater, OK) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process was great, interviewer was very respectful as well as respectable. The only complaint I have is that I never received anything after the interview, not an email, phone call, or anything. The interview went very well but apparently the number of applicants overwhelmed their contact process. I would recommend sending a follow up email after the interview to improve your chances.

Interview Questions

• What is an experience where you had to use teamwork to accomplish a complicated task?   Answer Question

Petroleum Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ConocoPhillips (Baton Rouge, LA) in October 2014.

Interview

On campus interview for a petroleum engineering internship. Typical behavioral interview questions. The interview was on-on-one and took about 40 minutes. I didn't hear back from them until almost 3 months after the interview. I did not receive an offer but was encouraged to re-apply in the future.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to overcome an unforeseen obstacle to accomplish a task.   Answer Question

IT Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ConocoPhillips.

Interview

Met at career fair on campus. Heard back within a week. And set up an interview. The interview was completely behavioral. The recruiter really tried to make you feel comfortable and was very clear about the process and what to expect in the future.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when working with a group didn't go as planned.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ConocoPhillips.

Interview

There was only one on campus interview, with two interviewers. They were very accommodating to find an interview time that fit my busy schedule. The interview consisted of standard behavioral questions, no surprises.

Supply Chain Interview

Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ConocoPhillips (State College, PA) in September 2014.

Interview

One round of behavioral based interview questions. Not super difficult and the interview is fairly relaxed! Be sure to study the STARR model and run through some standard behavioral based interview questions before hand. They will ask you to tell them a little bit about yourself. Don't be intimidated by the oil and gas industry and be willing to ask questions about it to show your willingness to learn.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell us about a time where you had to accomplish a long term goal and how did you accomplish that?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ConocoPhillips in September 2014.

Interview

Invited a couple of my colleagues in for interviews without any intention to hire them and told them so at the end of their respective interviews. My own interview felt aggressive, like they were trying to throw me off balance. Possible interviewing technique? Recruiting called everyone who interviewed to tell them they were their ideal choice but HR wouldn't let them pick you. Felt a bit dishonest. Not all bad but left with a negative experience. Recruiters were nice/ pleasant during their info session and at the career fair.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you dealt with a difficult coworker.   Answer Question
    • Name a time you took the initiative to fix a problem instead of waiting it out or letting someone else deal with it?   Answer Question

Landman Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at ConocoPhillips in September 2014.

Interview

I did an on campus interview at my college. Instead of having you wait in a waiting room, you sit at a table filled with different free give aways, other students waiting for their interview, and one worker. This is your opportunity to display to the worker that you can network with the other students. A friend who interned with them during a previous summer told me that this is a sort of test to see which students will be worried about their interview and which students will be relaxed. The person who is going to interview you comes to get you and takes you into a small room where there is a person who asks the questions and a scribe. Both seemed very intimidating at first giving little feedback. Be very very familiar with behavioral questions and try to have an array of different stories lined up to tell. The interview took about 45 minutes. After the interview I immediately received an offer to join the team for dinner, where the people who interviewed me seemed much less intimidating and told me a did a very good job. Overall it was a tough interview but because of thoroughness it was easy to play up my strengths and really talk about why I was most qualified.

Interview Questions

• What is the most challenging computer based problem that you have ever had to solve?   Answer Question
    • What do you understand the responsibilities of a land man to be?   Answer Question

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bartlesville, OK

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ConocoPhillips (Bartlesville, OK) in September 2014.

Interview

The communication in the beginning is fantastic. Once you get to the onsite interview it completely changes. The employees don't make you feel welcome and it is relatively hard to get conversation going. The process is long and you shouldn't get your hopes up. They don't hire a lot of people and you need to be pretty much perfect to get a job.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral based interview. The questions are basic for the interview.   Answer Question