ConsenSys Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at ConsenSys

2.8

Sort:

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ConsenSys.

Interview

I had a total of FIVE interviews; some were one-on-one, some were with up to five people. By my fourth interview, the interviewer said he couldn't believe they had put me through four already. He said it was highly unusual, and that he couldn't imagine why I would need another. Then I had another. I asked about what the next step in the hiring process would be, they told me if I didn't hear something within 48 hours to reach out to them. I waited 3 days and emailed, but got no response. Finally, a week later, an automated rejection email came.

Interview Questions

• Blockchain questions. Some specific to Ethereum, some about PoW, etc.   Answer Question

Strategy Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ConsenSys.

Interview

Completely disorganized, weeks/months in between responses, poor communication between team members. Was passed back and forth between multiple people each had no idea what/who they were hiring me for. Overall terrible experience and they are missing out on top talent because of it.

Interview Questions

• Accounting blockchain app ready to launch, how would you determine pricing strategy   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ConsenSys (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied through campus website to get interview. I was interviewed through Zoom and had to do a coding challenge. Everyone was really nice and understanding, and I didn't feel pressured at all.

Talent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at ConsenSys.

Interview

I sent my application via the site and was invited for an initial call, which was then followed by different in-person and remote interviews so I could meet the team I would be working with and members from other areas of the business.
    Every meeting I had was a positive experience and it is apparent that everyone is energized and enjoying what they are doing. Lots of bright, positive individuals who come from a wide variety of professional backgrounds and sensed good team comraderie.

Talent Acquisition Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at ConsenSys (Brooklyn, NY) in April 2018.

Interview

Pretty straightforward questioning and everyone was really friendly but the process was also rather long and kinda disorganized (3+ months & 6-7 rounds). All-in-all it was a pretty positive experience for a rapidly growing organization. The only negative experience was towards the very end when they scheduled an "update call" a week out in-advance to only tell me they were passing on my candidacy. I can appreciate the direct transparency, but totally could have said "it's a pass" and then scheduled the call to explain - major letdown!

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ConsenSys (Brooklyn, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

Introductary Call with Employee Referral Followed by a call with technical interviewer around my background and desire to work with the company, followed by call with director regarding placement on the team and deeper analysis of my background.

Interview Questions

• What would you like to do in Consesyns?   1 Answer

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ConsenSys (New York, NY) in July 2018.

Interview

The interview process was a 1-Way Interview where you must respond to a video question. You are given at least 1-2 min response time for every question that is asked. They asked up to 7 Questions. You are also given at least 2 Attempts to for every question.

Interview Questions

• How would you explain BlockChain Technology to someone who doesn't know about it?   1 Answer
    • How would you Test & Benchmark your code?   Answer Question
    • Describe one successful Idea you've had from start to finish?   Answer Question

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ConsenSys (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

I matched with ConsenSys on AngelList and had an initial phone screen set up with one of their recruiters, which went well. He liked my background and personality, and he decided to customize my experience and send me directly to the Design Director (typically you interview with several of their "spokes" to see if any of them like you).

It took three weeks for the next conversation to take place.

My conversation with the Design Director was overwhelmingly positive; we talked about what was going on with ConsenSys, about my background, and about my goals. She felt like my experience was a really good fit for what they were looking for and could see me fitting in nicely on the core design team as well as on one of the spokes. I mentioned to her that I was also interested in research, so she suggested before talking to any of the spokes, I should talk with the Lead UX Researcher (who she warned me can be difficult, and I shouldn't take that conversation the wrong way).

It took another two weeks to get that call set up.

My conversation with the Lead UX Researcher was interesting. We had a lot of back and forth on a philosophical level when it came to the role of research versus design, the strengths of different approaches, etc. It certainly didn't flow as well as the first conversation, but overall it still felt positive and that we had a good back and forth.

4 days later, I get an automated message from ConsenSys saying they won't be moving forward with my Product Design application. I replied to that email and CC'd the original recruiter I'd talked to, asking what was going on. His response was "We originally connected in regards to a Lead/Senior Product Designer role and determined the position wouldn't make sense since you really wanted to be more user research focused. [UX Lead] enjoyed your conversation and mentioned you had a good understanding of usability studies but wasn't convinced that you had the breadth of knowledge to fulfill a design research role."

I replied, expressing the insult at getting an automated rejection with no explanation after investing 2 months of time, and asking why I couldn't be considered for the Design track as I'd originally been going down (and, had I never agreed to talk to the UX Lead, would still be on), and their response was they "really want me to find an opportunity where I can focus on research."

I reached out directly to the Design Director to get her perspective on the situation, and the only response was "I'm not sure why you can't be considered for the design track but I will definitely reach out when a role that I think would be a good fit comes up."

Moral of the story: don't you dare express interest in anything other than the one thing they want you to do. No take-backsies.

Interview Questions

• From a research standpoint, what are some things you want to work on going forward?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ConsenSys in May 2018.

Interview

The interview process was slow and cumbersome. It spanned 2 months with very little communication. It consisted of a recruiter call and random interviews with people across the team. Each interviewer had no clue which stage of the process I was in.

It's very evident that it's a young company that has little operations or processes in place.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ConsenSys (Brooklyn, NY) in October 2018.

Interview

I saw the position on LinkedIn and reached out to a new connection at Consensys for a referral to an internal recruiter. After connecting with the recruiter via email a phone interview was set up within three business days. He was professional, insightful, and courteous.

Next, I was set up for a ZOOM interview for the finance executive I’d be supporting. She was very down-to-earth, but seemed a little unsure of the specific qualities and type of support required. I was left with the impression she was satisfied with the temporary support she was receiving and in no rush to hire someone permanent. We made tentative arrangements to meet at a local cafe that Friday which fell through due to a conflict. Although I reached out to her the following week to reschedule once she’d returned from her business trip I never heard from her or the recruiter again.

A generic rejection email would’ve been better than their disappearing act. It’s really a shame because I was really excited about this opportunity. If you have time to waste you should definitely apply to Consensys. However, if you’re serious about your job search and career, do yourself a favor and GO ELSEWHERE.