Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Interview Questions

Interviews at Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

Counsel Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (Washington, DC) in March 2013.

Interview

Basically straightforward, there were multiple rounds of interviews with several people at all levels. The questions were straightforward enough, but the intentions of interviewers were not as transparent as they appeared to be on the surface.

Interview Questions

• Would you be comfortable working with diverse colleagues from the private sector?   Answer Question

Communications Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (Washington, DC) in October 2009.

Interview

I was interviewed by two gentlemen but it was never made clear which one I would be reporting to, and therefore which one I should speak with and pose questions to more directly. The seating arrangement was quite odd, with one man behind his desk and the other seated at a round table with me in front of the desk, so that one of them would always be seeing the back of my head as I had to keep swinging my head 180 degrees to make eye contact with them both.There were four chairs and plenty of room at the table, so the seating configuration was extremely unnatural and discomfiting.

Interview Questions

• The very first question was "how would you set up the comms office", without any preliminary discussion of operational goals, priorities or budget. A question like this is usually preceded by some information as to the mandate, responsibilities and expectations, so, essentially the interview began with a sink-or-swim question.   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

Interview

I applied to be a program assistant (intern) in October and was contacted for an interview in early January. The interview wasn't too hard but wasn't too easy either; they asked about my background, why I was interested in the CFPB, and several situational questions to gauge my experiences. Later, I received a job offer and accepted.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you worked in a cross-functional/multidisciplinary team.   Answer Question

Pathways Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Consumer Financial Protection Bureau in January 2015.

Interview

After new years I received a flurry of emails from different teams at the CFPB looking to set up phone interviews. I did about 14 phone interviews (including some departments twice). Everyone was very nice that I spoke to, and offered a great deal of info. They all asked the same typical questions, and pitched their offices ahead of other offices within the CFPB. I really enjoyed getting to learn about so many different aspects of the CFPB, and had some nice conversations. I do wish the process could have been streamlined a bit, 14 phone interviews all asking the same questions was too much. The next week I received an email from HR with offers from some of the offices, and I was asked to pick just one to proceed with. Unfortunately, from there I was only given another week and half to accept the offer. This was January, far before other first round interviews had even taken place. It might have been a great job, and I might have accepted the offer if they had given a reasonable timeframe, but who knows.

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

Interview

Applied through USAjobs.gov. Heard back two months later. Interviewed with two different teams. There were mostly behavioral and fit questions, and a few standards ("why CFPB?" "tell me about yourself"). Took a couple of weeks to get back to me with a decision.

Consumer Response Position CN-51 Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (Washington, DC) in March 2013.

Interview

I applied in December 2012. Was referred to selecting official in January 2013. Had my first interview in March. Had two subsequent interviews.

I would describe the inteview process for my position as not overtly technical and unorganized. The person who interviewed me for the third time had no idea I had interview twice before.

The staff that interviewed me were very nice and knowledgeable about their positions and departments. They immediately made me feel welcomed.

The interview process could be streamlined. It seems burdensome and does not do a good job of extracting the information necessary to choose the best person. I was chosen and accepted the position, but given the type of position, I was expecting better questioning.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate the CN level or salary. It was 13K more that was I was making with my previous employer.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

Interview

Applied through USAJobs.gov and CFPB website -- heard back 4 months later. Initial contact was made a week before the interview date. Was interviewed once telephonically -- length of interview was approximately 20-25 minutes. Heard back within a week and was offered the position. Entire length of hiring process from initial contact was about 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions - mostly behavioral. Nothing difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Director's Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

Interview

Found the position at an on campus career fair. Applied online, and within a few days was prompted to submit a written assessment, which dealt with analyzing data and correlations. Next was 3 skype interviews, one behavioral and two case studies.

Director's Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Consumer Financial Protection Bureau in January 2016.

Interview

The interview process consisted of a written assignment followed by two remote case interviews. The written assignment involved a two hour, short answer assignment. Both stages focused on cases related to consumer finance.

Interview Questions

• What are some of the issues associated with payday lending?   Answer Question

Director's Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Consumer Financial Protection Bureau in December 2015.

Interview

Multi-step process consisting of an initial application, then a written assessment, and finally phone/Skype interviews. I had one phone interview and one Skype interview, both of which were case-based. The written assessment was quite straightforward, though it's important to keep track of time as you're going through it. I was asked no fit/behavioral questions in the phone/Skype interviews.

Interview Questions

• All the questions I was asked were case-based—things like, "Walk me through the graph on page X", "What do you think this term might mean?" or "What are some solutions you can come up with to help improve X problem?"   Answer Question