Convio Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Convio Interview Questions

3.7

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Convio (Austin, TX).

Interview

A phone interview with the VP of Sales, followed by on-site interviews. The VP was quite pleasant and candid. The on-site was typical: I met several people including the heads of engineering, professional services and sales (again). It wasn't very technical.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Convio (Austin, TX).

Interview

Applied for the job via Craigslist ad, was contacted via e-mail in 2 days. Initial screening was lengthy but basic. Your everyday behavioral questions (tell me about your greatest success/failure...). The next phase was the onsite interview. Went through 4 rounds and each round was about an hour.

Round 1: Non-technical, more behavioral stuff, almost business analyst of the non-profit sector. The purpose of this is probably to make sure that I have the personality and interest to work with non-profits.

Round 2: Technical architecture: This one is over the phone which is a bit challenging to describe certain design patterns but overall it was technical.

Round 3: Database/SQL questions, design a library DB, wrote some queries, fairly basic.

Round 4: Java coding. Wrote a method in IDE, nothing revolutionary.

Interview Questions

• 1. Describe the builder pattern?

2. Design a DB schema for a library?
      Answer Question

The overall package was decent but the stock options was on the low side. The company already IPOed at that point and with not much stock options, the upside was just not there.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Convio (Austin, TX).

Interview

The interview process consisted of an initial phone interview followed by a two-part off-site interview. The first part was a written "test" - multiple questions around a given project management scenario, with various input factors and competing interests to consider. The second part was a couple of hours of group/small group activities - games, for lack of a better word - that focused on problem solving, group collaboration, teamwork, and reaction to unplanned inputs. The company seemed to be very focused on "out-of-the-box" thinking, problem solving and team collaboration.

Interview Questions

• The use of "games" as an interview tool - that was unexpected.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Convio (Austin, TX) in August 2011.

Interview

The recruiter responded to me quickly after I applied online. We set up a time to talk on the phone via e-mail Well when that day came she was 30min late calling me and when she did she had to reschedule due to a meeting that went over. So we set a new date. When that date arrived she didn't call me on time AGAIN. I ended up calling her. She apologized and said her calender didn't reminder her to call me. So we talked about general job duties and how I felt about the company. She set me up with a phone interview with the manager. He called the next day ON TIME. We had a great talk and he was a nice guy. He wanted me to come in and meet with the members of the team I would be working on. So I went in for the in person interviews. I met with like 6 people total. In sets of mini interviews. Everyone was generally nice for the most part. Lastly I met with the manger in person we talked for a while then he said for me to follow up with either him or the HR lady I had been talking to. I waited a couple of days and sent everyone I interviewed with thank you cards. Then I sent an e-mail to the HR lady and the manger. Not response. So I didn't get it but I was disappointed that they couldn't at least shoot me an e-mail saying they were not moving forward with me. It made me change my outlook on this company.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Convio (Emeryville, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

It was good - went very quickly, met a engineer at a career fair, then got a 1:1 interview a couple days later

Implementation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Convio (Austin, TX) in January 2010.

Interview

Great interview but took very long to get follow up. The questions were not very probing or thoughtful. The job description itself was somewhat vague and when asked, the interviewer spoke in terms of the "constant change" occurring at the executive level and that s/he wasn't real sure exactly what would be happening next. Otherwise, the interview was relatively easy.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a little bit about yourself and why you chose to apply for this position.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Convio (Austin, TX) in August 2008.

Interview

Pretty typical interview process including phone screen and team meetings. Expect a marathon of in-person interviews because multiple levels of team members interview in addition to the hiring manager.

Good, smart people that value culture and nonprofit clients so be on your game when accepting the interview.

Interview Questions

• Asked very specific metrics questions related to previous experience.   Answer Question

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Convio (Austin, TX) in June 2007.

Interview

The interview was pretty standard. Convio wanted to understand my experience and understanding of the nonprofit space and how it differed from the commercial space. They also have a highly collaborative culture but unfortunately the decision making process is extremely bureaucratic and prone to bottlenecks. The people tend to be smart but laid-back. Not super hard working but committed.

Interview Questions

• How would you gauge the total market size for the nonprofit sector in terms of revenue for Convio?   Answer Question

Customer Support Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Convio in April 2011.

Interview

Sent my resume in the morning. Got an email in the afternoon for a phone interview the next morning with the hiring manager, I think. The call was on time. The person did not make small talk, nor explain the requirements for the position or what they did. Just started out with "Tell me about a time...". About 20 of these questions. Then I got the opportunity to ask about the position, etc. No call back or email. After about a week, I looked at my account on their site and saw that I was not selected.

I was stunned at the way this was done, because this is one of my target companies and I really like their product and what they do for the community. But the way the interview and followup was handled, it makes me wonder about the internal workings at the company.