Cook Out General Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 30, 2017

1.4

20 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winston-Salem, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cook Out (Winston-Salem, NC) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview was in a building set up for classroom education. It started with a presentation and then you break out into small groups. It was very different for me being from the corporate world. I submitted the information with resume and felt it was a waste of my time and time off from work. I was almost offended when I went to small group with the way it was presented.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about compensation?   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Cook Out

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverdale, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cook Out (Riverdale, GA) in November 2016.

Interview

attended a presentation along with 15 other people. Then a one on one interview with two gentleman. I gave a great interview and I can tell they were impressed. That was three weeks ago and I haven't heard from them. Prior to the interview, as I got out my car, I heard one of the interviewers on his phone saying, "the management needs to get younger." Perhaps that's why I haven't heard anything.

Interview Questions

• How did you get into food service   1 Answer

General Manager Interview

Interview

Several applicants in the room. I was told by an applicant to fill out paperwork. Then Cook out rep comes out an does a history of the company. He also did a pay breakdown that I think was good. It went so fast I couldn't take it all in. Then each applicant git a one on one with the rep....

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cook Out (Norfolk, VA).

Interview

It is a classroom type environment. Then a one on one interview. Take a hard copy of your resume, and have a positive attitude. Wear business casual, and don't have a lot of facial hair, or visible tattoos.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for this company.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Cook Out (Durham, NC) in April 2016.

Interview

You sit down with District Manager and head of HR. They ask you the normal experience questions. Dress in a casual way. Jeans and polo will be fine. Cookout is very casual with its hiring process. You will be interviewed twice. After second you will watch a video on the structure of CookOut and its packages. If hired you will work your butt off for 3 months during training. Overall one of the easy interviews I have had.

Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cook Out (Knoxville, TN) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very in depth and honest. The benefits package was introduced in a clear and concise manner. The company was represented incredibly well. All questions that I had were answered immediately.

Interview Questions

• What my long term goal with the company was?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Maryville, TN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cook Out (Maryville, TN) in February 2015.

Interview

The first interview lasted about 5 minutes, the second interview about 2 minutes, he was very vague about my job description and my salary. two days later he emailed me and told me he had a GM position for me at a salary of $1,200 biweekly and it would be a 90 day training at another store. I asked if they would be a raise after my training period. He said no, that the base pay would not change but I would qualify for bonuses....I had to work 53 hrs.to make my $1200.00 base. The whole deal seems a bit sketchy, I have held management positions for over 20 years and NEVER had a DM make the schedule for my store! Sounds like they are telling Indians that they are chief just to get cheap labor. Again I was offered the job a with a lot of unanswered questions, supposed to start in 1 week but I don't think I will. The search continues...

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Cook Out.

Interview

Very un-organized. Met at a location that had zero Cook-Out signs. Made it rather difficult to find. This interview was brief, with the usual questions. I was contacted by phone one week later and was offered an MIT position. I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult situation you were faced with, how did you remedy the situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was zero negotiations with many questions left unanswered.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cook Out (Athens, GA) in July 2014.

Interview

I arrived at the "interview" 10 minutes early. It was a cattle call, there were 5 other people there for an interview as well. The human resources person began by telling us he had no restaurant experience and had only been with Cookout for about a year. He first began by explaining the compensation.

The job posting says managers $40k, co-managers $50K and GM's $65k a year. Not so fast my friends... GM's base pay is $1300 every two weeks, the co-manager was $1200. You get $8 an hour "extra" for every hour above 40 hours a week. You are required to work 52.5 hours, which for a restaurant is not a big deal, but I heard the number 62.5 as the "average" weekly schedule. Oh, by the way, the district manager writes the schedule, not the GM.

He also said you get 2 weeks vacation after a year, then 3 weeks after 2 years and so on. He also said that if you don't take your vacation it does not carry over, but you can get paid for it. Someone asked why would a manager not take vacation and the guy said he did not know. So I spoke up and asked what vacation time was based on, was it 40 hours or was it based on your average work week . He said 40 hours. There you go, you'd have to take a paycut to go on vacation.

He went on and explained that the rest of the compensation was based on goals set for each store and other forms of profit sharing. If the GM can't write is own schedule, my question is would he be able to track his own food costs, labor and expenses or would that be done by corporate? Basically half your salary is based on these "bonuses".

They take you for a 90 test drive before you get assigned a position/store. Who needs that kind of uncertainty? I have a wife and 4 kids. I don't.

After he finished his 10 minute company speech, he said he wanted to take turns speaking to each of us, so that meant if you were the last man in line you would have your thumb in your behind for the next 30-45 minutes. Is this really a good way to interview? I got up and shook his hand, thanked him for his time and said this was not for me and I left.

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Cook Out.

Interview

We were asked to sit down and fill out regular crew applications. Then the HR rep explained the companies history. After that we were given one-on-one interviews. At my one-on-one she asked me about my experience, why I'm looking for other employment, about the volume of store I was used to managing (that seemed very important). She also ask me for my best quality and worst. That sort of things. She was interested in my schooling as well as my thirst for advancement and loyalty to company. Then she told me to go online and fill out a background check and they would call me back for a second interview after that.
    Instead of a second interview I got an offer.

Interview Questions

• Why was breakfast a your current store poor preforming?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is little negotiation.