Corning Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 25, 2017

2.9

R&D Modeling Interview

Anonymous Employee in Corning, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Corning (Corning, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

It is a one day long process. You start by giving a technical presentation for an hour, and then have approximately 5 hour long interviews with different people in the company.

Department Manager Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Corning.

Interview

Went through two phone screens with HR and hiring manager and was moved to final interview pool. Very long time between all stages of interview process with virtually no interim status updates.

Brought in for a full day, multi-department interview and by all accounts was well received, with hiring decision taking place then next week.

HR and hiring manager did not provide any more feedback after that despite multiple attempts to discuss over the next 6 weeks.

Communication was poor and fact that the company, either corporate leadership or HR, cannot be bothered to respond to highly talented candidates if they aren't selected (I assume at this point, because, well, who knows?).

This tells me all I need to know about working for Corning, even if they were to call back. Very disappointing.

Senior Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Corning, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Corning (Corning, NY).

Interview

The interview normally starts in the morning with a technical presentation and followed by small group or individual interviews. Normally the interview team consists of at least 8 people including different levels of employees.

Process Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Christiansburg, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Corning (Christiansburg, VA) in December 2016.

Interview

The interview started with two people in a small room. You were instructed to speak about yourself for 30 minutes beginning from High School until now. You were asked to include past jobs, achievements, awards, etc. Mostly they just listened and only talked to clarify things. After this was over you were taken to another room where you repeat the process with two more people. Once this 2nd 30 minute session was done you were taken to a room where you took two different personality type tests. Once this was complete you were done and they walked you to the door.

Interview Questions

• Please tell us about yourself starting from your High School Years until now. Include details such as jobs, awards, achievements, etc. You have 30 minutes.   Answer Question

REACH Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Corning.

Interview

Met at a career fair and had interview the next day. Interview was about 25 minutes and the interviewers repeated questions and were generally too specific in their presented scenarios.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to pick a team. What qualities did you look for in each group member?   Answer Question

Optical Fiber Process Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Corning (Atlanta, GA) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone interview after pre-screening phone interview. You send in your application, they send you a survey, then you send in your responses. If they like them, you get a phone interview. After that you might be called in or you will be continued to be considered or given an offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you use the scientific method in your experiences   Answer Question
    • Tell us about relevant experience (research, past work, etc.)   Answer Question

Controls Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Corning, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Corning (Corning, NY).

Interview

Had an all day schedule with the company following a phone screen a few weeks after the initial phone screen. I briefly met with the manager and presented original work right out of the gate in front of the team I was applying to join, their manager, and the director. After that, I had 1:1s with the manager, a senior member, and then the director. I had a 1:1 lunch with another senior member.

Note, the entire process took quite a long time due to my availability. Once interviewed, the response was timely.

Interview Questions

• They asked specifics to the role and job. During the presentation, they asked very pertinent ideas and we had a very open discussion. I believe they wanted to see how I would blend with the group and to test how human I am (which can be very difficult for us engineers.)   1 Answer

Advanced Process Control Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Corning, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Corning (Corning, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

Two one-hour phone screenings, both were technical. First they told me about Corning's products and operations. It will be good if you read about their products before hand. Questions were related to basics of process controls; specifically, about model predictive control and PID control. More questions about multivariate analysis, like PCA, PLS, etc.

Was flown in for an on-site interview after that. The format consisted of a one-hour presentation on my PhD thesis, followed by 8 one-on-one interviews of one-hour each. Half of the interviews were technical, others were personality assessment interviews. I had to prepare for 3 weeks. You have to prepare well if you want to ace this interview. The people in general were very nice and easy-going. I enjoyed my conversations with them. Got to meet the whole team. Overall, a nice experience.

Interview Questions

• Lots of personality questions. Describe one time you failed. Describe one time you had to convince your boss against his opinion. Describe one time you had to meet a deadline. How do you divide your time for a project? Other questions were technical and related to process control, multivariate analysis, machine learning. Mostly, they were related to my thesis area.   1 Answer

IT Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Corning.

Interview

Interviewed for 2 roles. Rejected for the first role. Followed up with Talent Acquisition and I got second interview after 2 months. Followed up 4-5 times with Talent Acquisition. Talent Acquisition played important role in the interviewing process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Corning, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Corning (Corning, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

I met a recruiter during campus spring 2016 career fair, and she put me in the group called "Corning Talent Connect" on the LinkedIn. Meanwhile, I have applied for couple positions in the late March and April on Corning website. I got the phone call in the early June, and followed by a technique phone interview in the late June. They decided to fly me to Corning, NY for the on-site interview after two weeks. There were six people in my on-site interview day. I gave a 30 minutes presentation to the group of interviewers, and they asked some questions regarding to my presentation. After that, I have 30 minutes with each interview separately. They also gave me a tour in their plant and company. I got offer one week after my onsite day. The offer package is very competitive and the whole process is positive experience.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a process and a project?   1 Answer