Costco Wholesale Interview Questions in San Diego, CA | Glassdoor

Updated May 22, 2017

2.3

Food Court Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Costco Wholesale (San Diego, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Met with GM discussed future with company. Philosophy concerning operations, philosophy concerning labor, etc. Discussed P&L practices and in preparing asked a lot of questions about margin and product. Also discussed what impact I have made this far.

Interview Questions

• What would you do to make an immediate impact?   1 Answer

Bakery Wrapper Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Mesa, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Costco Wholesale (La Mesa, CA).

Interview

Got interview almost 2 months after applied. Was called for seasonal position, not for what I applied. Two women interviewers, but not private. In a "break room" with 2 other employees. I was very up front & told them I was not going to be available a certain time frame (4 days) at the beginning of November. One interviewer was very "put off" by this. She said, "Well, not sure how that's gonna go, but we'll see." She continued with the interview questions, but I honestly felt she had already made her decision about me. She told me that the position was anywhere from 0-40 hours a week (that's not too ambiguous)& was mainly collecting carts, restocking & merchandising. When I asked her about the position I applied for, she said "maybe, but probably not-unless you want to work overnight." I asked about the chance of being hired permanently after the holidays and she said, "None-we promote from within-very rarely hire on seasonal employees. You have to start at the bottom." Entire interview took about 10 minutes. Got the "thanks but, no thanks" e-mail the next day.

Certified Pharmacy Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Costco Wholesale (San Diego, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

I summited my application on June 1, 2016. I immediately contacted the pharmacy manager to let them know I dropped in my resume, and I am really interested in the position. Gave them 2 weeks and called to check on them on the June 14, 2016. I talked to another manager, and he asked me to come to the next day for the interview. The interview started with 10 questions test which I needed to answer on paper. It was about sig code, general retail pharmacy knowledge, drugs (generic/brand), calculation...etc.

Then I had panel interview with one pharmacy manager and pharmacy intern. They were the nicest interviewees I have ever talked to. Very simple read off basic questions. I was being myself as much as I can while maintaining very bubbly. They like how I smile a lot because, to them, customer service is very important.

Then they told me to step outside while they discuss. Five minutes later, the pharmacy intern came out and told me that they really like me during the interview, and he walked me to the warehouse manager where I had my second interview. It wasn't panel anymore. It was the one on one.

While letting me know that obtaining a full time position at Costco is very hard, let alone be a full time position in the pharmacy, the warehouse manager offered me the full time position on the spot that same day with my drug test and background check. He even asked if I had a vacation planned (how did I find out!!!), which I actually did, so he can approve those days as well. How nice can Costco employees can be!

I started a week after with 4.5 hours of paid orientation. I am now working full time. So happy and blessed to work for this company.

Overall, I think being friendly, caring and smily are what catching their attention. ALL ABOUT CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Interview Questions

• How many years of pharmacy technician experience you have?   Answer Question
    • How did you prepare for this interview?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work for Costco?   1 Answer

Seasonal Front End Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Costco Wholesale (San Diego, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

The interview process consisted of three interviews in one day. I did not know at the time that I would get two more interviews after the first one. When I got to the third interview, I started to get hungry. I wished they informed me about the time.

Interview Questions

• Why did you want to work here?   1 Answer

Negotiation

it was set at 11.50

Entry Level Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chula Vista, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Costco Wholesale (Chula Vista, CA).

Interview

Was called in a couple months after applying online, make sure to read up on company a little bit. Also make sure to be able to recall past events since they will rely on your ability to describe different scenarios.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation wherein you had to make quick decisions   Answer Question

Front End Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Costco Wholesale (San Diego, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

2 managers did the interview. They asked many questions. Wanted to know my work history, asked me what was my most difficult challenge in working for Costco. How to handle a difficult member, the importance of Costco being member store ready, my strengths and weeknesses.

Seasonal Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Costco Wholesale (San Diego, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Well, I interviewed in a room in front of 2 supervisors. I was asked to tell them something about myself. I went into my job experience since I was 19. I held a job from that age for 17 years and then quite had another for another 8 years with part time jobs in between at night so I didn't have to many jobs to talk about. Anyways, I was asked why do I want to work for them. I did research before going in on the company. Looked at stock, their mission statements and what kind of volunteer work they did or helped with. It helped. I have a 2nd interview on Friday!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for costco   1 Answer

Part Time Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Costco Wholesale (San Diego, CA).

Interview

It was a two part interview. First with two of the assistant managers and then with the Store Manager if you get that far. A drug test is done immediately after the interviews if you are to be hired.

Interview Questions

• Have you worked in a retail position before?   1 Answer

Front End Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santee, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Costco Wholesale (Santee, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and in a week received a call from HR manager who was very rood and short to listen. First of all she just wanted to hang up the phone, she was very irritated when I asked her questions. She even didn't try to pronounce my name correctly. But the good news she invited me for the interview.

My interview was scheduled on March 27th, at 3.40 pm (Santee, San Diego) but they started to interview me in 40 minutes. No apologies to me that it took them so long. Then they took me to some small room which was very dirty and papers were all over the floor, then the same person who called me invited me to take a sit. Then she said she is going to ask me only a couple questions and gave me a paper to sign. She asked 3 questions with no interest at all, like she already knew that she is not going to hire me. I came home very disappointed by her attitude to me, that she was very indifferent to my answers. I am a immigrant who has 10 years of experience in my home country where I started from a sales person position and ended up being a supervisor. I want to ask a question of a person who interviewed me: Do you really think I wouldn't handle the front end assistant position with 10 years of experience?!

I think she discriminated me because how you could possibly know who I am if you asked only 3 questions and even didn't ask for my resume when you asked me to bring that. Also, in their application they ask if I received food stamp and I answered 'yes'. I know that they try to show that they care about people who receive food stamps and they are interested to help them by providing a job. But it isn't true. They need your applications only for statistics, that's all.

Today I received a mail that I wasn't selected and it is first time when I am so happy that I was rejected because I don't want to work with people who don't know what their responsibilities are, who don't know how to communicate properly with their clients, who don't treat people fair. I am pretty sure she discriminated me because I speak English with an accent.

I have been in the USA for almost 6 years and I learned English here, I am a hard working person, friendly and all my friends love me, my references will be happy to be my reference and I know I will find a job where I will be appreciated.

It isn't my letter to you that I was rejected, no, at all. It is just a letter to the higher management of Costco to choose accurately their employees because I love Costco,and I shopped a lot there. But after such a "treatment" I won't go there anymore.

I thought I will send her a thank you letter after the interview but I came home and just threw up a piece of paper with the the name of the manager who interviewed me because she doesn't deserve thank you letter.

The only person who was friendly is Sara, who smiled to me for her co-worker too :-)

To the manager who interviewed me: you never smiled to me, please smile and life will smile you back!

Interview Questions

• What do you do if you don't get along with person you work with?   1 Answer

Front End (Cashier Assistant) Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I interviewed at Costco Wholesale (San Diego, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Standard cookie cutter interview questions. Had me wait in the break room for 15min. Then a manager came out and walked me back to conference room in admin office. Two managers came in together and took turns asking me basic interview questions. After they finished with their questions, they had me to wait in conference room for 5 min. Then Assistant Store Manager came in and asked me some more questions. When he was finished, he offered me the job on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Q: Why do you want to work at Costco?
      Q: If you had a problem with a co-worker, what would you do?
      Q: Tell us a situation in a previous job when you had to problem solve?
      Q: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      Answer Question