Couchbase Interview Questions in Mountain View, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 23, 2017

3.2

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Couchbase (Mountain View, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Very flexible and efficient. I was available only on Fridays, so they conducted phone and in-person interviews on two Fridays. Both interviews involved 4 people from different roles for a well-rounded understanding of skills and cultural fit.

Interview Questions

• Various questions about my past projects, writing samples, and database knowledge.   Answer Question

Couchbase Response

Mar 27, 2017 – Communications Manager

Congratulations and welcome to the team! We're glad you had a positive experience.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Couchbase (Mountain View, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

On-site interview with the hiring manager, followed by an all-day interview with five other developers. All the interview questions (including the manager, CTO, VP, etc.) were technical in nature. All the interviewers were open and answered questions about the company and environment.

Interview Questions

• Two of the interviewers asked string-parsing questions. One was a fairly standard C coding questions about reversing the order of the words in a sentence. Another was about parsing a list/stream of strings being received over the network, which also involved a little bit of design about the protocol for encoding of the strings over-the-wire.   Answer Question
    • Another question was an interesting pseudocode question about a particular hybrid linked-list/tree data-structure. First, a direct request to write pseudocode (or whichever language is preferred) to flatten the structure into a "normal" linked list, and then a follow-up question about options to retain the non-flattened structure at the same time.   Answer Question
    • One interviewer asked a fairly broad design question, basically about designing a memory-manager with support for paging to disk, and then narrowed the scope of the question as I talked about and whiteboarded alternatives for implementing it.   Answer Question
    • One of the interviewers probed about broader topics and my approaches to things like code quality, testing, and managing dependencies and resources.   Answer Question
    • One interviewer asked me to describe a recent project I had worked on in detail, and asked a bunch of follow-on questions related to it.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Couchbase (Mountain View, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied online via the company's careers site. Got a call in about 2 days saying that the hiring manager is interested to talk. The next day I had a telephonic discussion wherein the hiring manager asked questions about my experience and gave a very nice overview about the company. He also mentioned that I would qualify for 3 groups in the company and asked my preference. He mentioned about the interview process and answered patiently to all my questions.

This was followed by coding round wherein a problem statement is given to you and you'll have to solve the problem at your leisure and send them the solution. This was run directly by the hiring manager. Again he was very nice and asked me to take as much time as I want. The question was not of the kind where you can answer only if you know the trick. This was more of a concrete graph problem for which you will have to brush up your algorithmic skills. After I submitted my solution the very same day the hiring manager reviewed the code, gave me some minor comments. But all in all he liked what I had done and called me over to a bunch of in-person interviews.

I had a 5 hour long in-person interview where I spoke to 5 people including the hiring manager. The interviews touched upon coding skills, data-structures / algorithms, distributed systems concept and system design skills. There were a couple of places where I fumbled a little bit and on one occasion missed out on a complexity analysis question :( But all-in-all I had a very nice time interacting with the team and all the team members were very cordial and friendly. A couple of days later I heard that they had liked me and would extend the offer. The offer was reasonable and I didn't bargain.

Throughout the interview process the HR person was very helpful and gave a lot of details about the company. I thoroughly enjoyed the interview process.

Director, Professional Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Couchbase (Mountain View, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

While I was nor selected for the job, I thought the interview process was complete and transparent. The HR specialist that phone screened me, and organized the interviews, was very clear and efficient. I met all the right people, and they spent quality time with me. There were several phone interviews, followed by an onsite set of interviews. hey were also good about communicating the results in a timely fashion

Interview Questions

• Tell us abut how you managed your business, and the trade-offs between tactical and strategic imperatives.   Answer Question

Rather Not Specify Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Couchbase (Mountain View, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

High touch interview process, got regular updates from recruiting team on my status and next steps in the interview process. Whole process took 3 weeks from initial outreach by recruiter to offer.

EMEA Marketing Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Couchbase (Mountain View, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Thorough! They found me on LinkedIn and I had a number of Skype interviews before flying to the US for face-to-face.

Dedicated in-house recruiter kept me up to speed throughout. Also had some face to face meetings in the London office where I was to be based. I met a large number of the team.

When I received an offer the negogiations went back and forth a bit but were relatively straight-forward and not at all fractiuous. All-in-all a professional, even enjoyable, experience.

Presales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Couchbase (Mountain View, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Basic initial phone interview with HR, Then Skype video interview with Manager (remote), then flown into Mountainview, CA for interviews with 5 people and a presentation to that group after. Finally a quick 5min chat with the CEO.

Interview Questions

• Background in Database and using SQL.
      Any development skills
      Experience in Pre-Sales environments
      Answer Question

Senior Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Couchbase (Mountain View, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

3 rounds of Skype Interviews, a phone discussion and then an onsite.
    Generic Support Scenarios, Application Trouble shooting use cases, Knowledge base management questions. Team was distributed across different locations and manager was traveling for a conference, which took multiple skype calls.

Had a better offer which aligns with my career goals; It was a tough decision but i had to pass.

Senior Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Couchbase (Mountain View, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

* Reached by HR via Linkedin
    * Phone Interview with Director of Product Manager(PM)
    * Phone interview with Sr. PM
    * In-Person interview
    ** Director of PM
    ** Sr.PM
    ** SVP of Products and Marketing
    ** VP of Marketing

Interview Questions

Awesome company, but wanted to work in City. Feel bad i had to decline. Highly Recommend