Council On International Educational Exchange Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Council On International Educational Exchange Interview Questions

Interviews at Council On International Educational Exchange

2.5

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Council On International Educational Exchange.

Interview

Alumni Internship in Portland. It took 2-3 months from initial due date to interview. We kept receiving vague emails stating that we had made it to the next round. The Interview was about 45 minutes and I was offered the internship about 2 weeks after the interview.

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, ME

Application

I interviewed at Council On International Educational Exchange (Portland, ME) in April 2018.

Interview

I applied for this job through their website. It took over a month to hear anything back, and when I did, I was instructed to complete a preliminary video interview. This video interview required me to answer a serious of questions. The video interview did not allow me to access the website at first and when I reached out for help to try and get access to the website the woman I spoke to was curt and seemed like it was the least of her problems. It gave you a few attempts to re-record your answers to each question but did not allow you to view all of the questions before hand to prepare your answer, and overall took me about an hour and a half to complete. The concept is that you have the ability to answer all of the questions thoroughly, but it just made me feel even more pressured to answer perfectly, and lacked all together any sort of feeling of conversation or human interaction. I was then contacted to interview in person about a week later, and went in for a two hour long interview where I met with four separate individuals for 30 minutes each. I did enjoy my conversations with each of them and felt that it had actually gone very well, although I was then emailed that they were offering the position to someone who better suited their needs (re: probably more experience).

Admissions Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Council On International Educational Exchange (Boston, MA) in June 2018.

Interview

After applying they got back to me within a couple of days and I was offered an in person interview. The mangers that interviewed me were nice and there is only one round of interview

Admissions Coordinator Interview

Application

Interview

I was given a call, not an email, about wanting to set up a time for a phone interview. As I was not available at the time, they left a voicemail. I called back and left a voicemail to set up a time. I did not hear back from them.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Council On International Educational Exchange (Portland, ME).

Interview

Standard. HR preliminary phone interview followed by an in-person interview with decision-makers, future manager, and manager from secondary department. Friendly and approachable, but challenging and requires preparation. Very professional. They cover all expenses, including a comfortable hotel and meals. Very hospitable. I need nine more words so I'm finishing out with this last sentence.

Interview Questions

• Why do I want to work for CIEE more than with other organizations or universities.   1 Answer

Enrollment Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Council On International Educational Exchange.

Interview

I was initially contacted for a phone interview, which went great. Then, I had a skype interview that went fine. I was told to wait since they had a busy time of the year coming up, but also told not to freak out. After a month of no response, I emailed and they said they had decided to interview other candidates- no one ever bothered to tell me I was no longer in the running. When I (very politely) asked if I could be told why I was no longer being considered, there was never any response. A few weeks later I get another email saying I'm no longer in the running. Great, thanks.

Interview Questions

• Name a situation where someone else had a problem and you had to help fix it.   Answer Question

Enrollment Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Council On International Educational Exchange (Boston, MA) in August 2018.

Interview

I did a one-way interview which asked around 5 questions, and then completed an in person interview with the hiring manager and director. The whole process took about two weeks, and I accepted the position.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have working in international education?   1 Answer

Registration Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Council On International Educational Exchange (Boston, MA) in March 2018.

Interview

I received an email inviting me to complete a Montage on-demand video interview. I was terrified, but it was pretty straightforward. I was able to re-record any video with which I wasn't comfortable (which meant I re-recorded six out of seven, I think, and some of them many times). But I got them to the point where I was comfortable and submitted them. CIEE indicated it would take about 35 minutes. It took me three hours. But that's okay. I wanted what I put forth to be the best I could make it.

Interview Questions

• What kind of work environment do you feel most comfortable/ work best in?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Council On International Educational Exchange (Portland, ME) in January 2016.

Interview

After I submitted my application (online via the web site - the system was a bit confusing for me) it was a full month before I heard from anyone other than the generic autoresponder that my materials were recieved. I was first interviewed by a contracted HR talent recruiter/screener. I was then told that I had made it to the next round but that because the people involved were really busy, I wouldn't hear from them for several weeks. That was great news for me, actually, because I too was preoccupied at that time. Then, suddenly I was contacted for a Skype interview with my would-be supervisor. That was a bit frustrating and stressful as I had no time to prepare. That interview took place 14 days after the screening call. The day after that I was invited to an onsite interview, which took place about 3 weeks later.

I would describe the onsite interview experience as "mixed". I was put in a specially set-up interview room to meet 1:1 via video conference with CIEE staff in other countries. They were pleasant and engaged and had clearly prepared. I met with several other people 1:1 in the same room in person, each for 30 minutes as well as with three administrators in their offices. All were collegial. I enjoyed those sessions greatly. I was really very interested in the position and they seemed genuinely interested in me.

However, several things about the process were disconcerting. I was not met at the hotel by anyone from CIEE (took a cab on my own to the hotel as planned - no problem), Despite having flown a fair distance for the interview, I ate breakfast at the hotel on my own. Also, there were mistakes in the interview schedule in terms of the time slots, but the most bizarre thing was that there was no break for lunch built in. I emailed the HR contact ahead of time to ask about that, but received no response. So, I packed a snack and made sure I had a big breakfast. Then, one of the people who interviewed me noticed that I had no break for lunch and had a sandwich ordered for me. I was put in one of their little interview rooms and left to eat my sandwich alone! I had exactly 10 minutes to snarf it down. I also found it very odd that I was not scheduled to meet with either of the other two direct reports (the other people who would have been on the team for which I was applying to be a part) of the supervisor. And, there was no group interview time, which meant that I answered many of the same questions over and over for each person and also meant that I had no opportunity to understand their group dynamics.

10 days after the interview I received an automated, unsigned, generic email from an unmonitored email account indicating they had selected another candidate. Given the level of the position, the number of interview phases, and the time commitment on my part, this was not a good sign for me regarding the caliber of the organization. I felt that if I were not contacted by phone, then a personalized email from the person to whom I would have reported would have been appropriate. Given this way of being notified that I had not been selected, coupled with the many strange elements of the process described above, I would think twice before interviewing with CIEE.

NB: The day after my interview, the position of one of the would-be team members was announced, which explains why I was not scheduled to meet that person (s/he had already resigned). Also, from what I am able to discern, the position for which I interviewed has not been filled, 5 months later.

Exchange Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Council On International Educational Exchange (Portland, OR) in March 2018.

Interview

Online application was processed and was quite simple and easy to follow. I felt that this was section took a matter of 30-40 minutes, many questions were multiple questions so that really made it go smoothly