Council On International Educational Exchange Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Council On International Educational Exchange Interview Questions

Updated Jun 23, 2017

2.8

Program Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Council On International Educational Exchange in August 2016.

Interview

Sent me a link for a "one way" interview first; you go to a website and questions pops up and you film yourself answering them. A total pain, and serves no purpose but to save them time and effort. Then got a real interview, everything went well, and I never heard another word from them again!

Senior International Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Council On International Educational Exchange (Portland, ME).

Interview

The interview process involved 4 interview and took 3 weeks to get the final decision a bit longer than expected. There were two initial interviews with HR specialists then a VP and the director I would have worked under. Although the position seemed to be advertised as a Nanjing position one interviewer asked the question if it was in this other city in China would you relocate. It seemed like a test of your dedication kind of question. Some of the arrangement of the interviews took place with only a short window and there was a bit of confusion on interview meeting time.
    Generally the interviews were professional but other than increase enrollments it seemed they had not formulated exactly the expectations for the what the role would be selling . China has a lot of this "feel the stones as you cross the river" kind of practicality so this vagueness did not phase me much, but I could see in other contexts it might be difficult.
    From talking to some people in the organization it does seem that there is a lot of work for a small team and often evening meetings to suit the US time schedule.

Several interviewers asked "How will you build good relationships with team members in the US that you will not see often?" It seemed they did not think this would be easy.

CIEE seems like a good organization to work for with qualified people. However, despite having several programs in particular countries it seems they have silo culture which does not cooperate or share resources between different divisions I.e. Teach in China is completely separate from Exchange study abroad programs.

Interview Questions

• "How will you build good relationships with team members in the US that you will not see often?"   1 Answer

Campus Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Council On International Educational Exchange in June 2016.

Interview

I submitted an application at the beginning of June, sent a follow up email on a Thursday two weeks later and the next day I had an invitation for a one way interview. Like everyone else has said, it's really uncomfortable and kind of a pain but it saves them time. That part took 15 minutes to complete. I heard back in record time, within an hour they were scheduling me for an interview for the following Monday. They didn't have time to fly me out so I had 3 rounds of Skype interviews. They each lasted 30 minutes. I interviewed with a current Study Abroad Advisor, the person who would become my boss, and another Senior Manager. After the interviews concluded I rushed to send references at their request and about an hour later I received an offer.

Interview Questions

• What previous experience I had that would help me in this position.   Answer Question

Campus Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Council On International Educational Exchange (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

You have you do a video recorded initial interview, then another 3 interviews over Skype with higher management . It's a fairly efficient process. The video interview is awkward as you read a question on the screen and are given a certain number of time to answer back in a recorded video. The other 3 interviews were also intimidating, and they each ask you the exact same questions.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for us?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Council On International Educational Exchange in April 2016.

Interview

I had to participate in a video interview where I had to record myself responding to the questions that were prompted on the screen. Although it was awkward, it was actually a smooth and easy process that took about 15 minutes.

Interview Questions

• What work experience makes you think that you'd be a good fit for this position?   Answer Question
    • Describe an experience where you had good communication skills.   Answer Question
    • When was a time that you were challenged in your prior work experience and how did you respond?   Answer Question
    • What type of work environment are you looking for?   Answer Question
    • Why are you interested in this position?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Council On International Educational Exchange (Portland, ME) in January 2016.

Interview

After I submitted my application (online via the web site - the system was a bit confusing for me) it was a full month before I heard from anyone other than the generic autoresponder that my materials were recieved. I was first interviewed by a contracted HR talent recruiter/screener. I was then told that I had made it to the next round but that because the people involved were really busy, I wouldn't hear from them for several weeks. That was great news for me, actually, because I too was preoccupied at that time. Then, suddenly I was contacted for a Skype interview with my would-be supervisor. That was a bit frustrating and stressful as I had no time to prepare. That interview took place 14 days after the screening call. The day after that I was invited to an onsite interview, which took place about 3 weeks later.

I would describe the onsite interview experience as "mixed". I was put in a specially set-up interview room to meet 1:1 via video conference with CIEE staff in other countries. They were pleasant and engaged and had clearly prepared. I met with several other people 1:1 in the same room in person, each for 30 minutes as well as with three administrators in their offices. All were collegial. I enjoyed those sessions greatly. I was really very interested in the position and they seemed genuinely interested in me.

However, several things about the process were disconcerting. I was not met at the hotel by anyone from CIEE (took a cab on my own to the hotel as planned - no problem), Despite having flown a fair distance for the interview, I ate breakfast at the hotel on my own. Also, there were mistakes in the interview schedule in terms of the time slots, but the most bizarre thing was that there was no break for lunch built in. I emailed the HR contact ahead of time to ask about that, but received no response. So, I packed a snack and made sure I had a big breakfast. Then, one of the people who interviewed me noticed that I had no break for lunch and had a sandwich ordered for me. I was put in one of their little interview rooms and left to eat my sandwich alone! I had exactly 10 minutes to snarf it down. I also found it very odd that I was not scheduled to meet with either of the other two direct reports (the other people who would have been on the team for which I was applying to be a part) of the supervisor. And, there was no group interview time, which meant that I answered many of the same questions over and over for each person and also meant that I had no opportunity to understand their group dynamics.

10 days after the interview I received an automated, unsigned, generic email from an unmonitored email account indicating they had selected another candidate. Given the level of the position, the number of interview phases, and the time commitment on my part, this was not a good sign for me regarding the caliber of the organization. I felt that if I were not contacted by phone, then a personalized email from the person to whom I would have reported would have been appropriate. Given this way of being notified that I had not been selected, coupled with the many strange elements of the process described above, I would think twice before interviewing with CIEE.

NB: The day after my interview, the position of one of the would-be team members was announced, which explains why I was not scheduled to meet that person (s/he had already resigned). Also, from what I am able to discern, the position for which I interviewed has not been filled, 5 months later.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Council On International Educational Exchange (Portland, ME).

Interview

Standard. HR preliminary phone interview followed by an in-person interview with decision-makers, future manager, and manager from secondary department. Friendly and approachable, but challenging and requires preparation. Very professional. They cover all expenses, including a comfortable hotel and meals. Very hospitable. I need nine more words so I'm finishing out with this last sentence.

Interview Questions

• Why do I want to work for CIEE more than with other organizations or universities.   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, ME

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Council On International Educational Exchange (Portland, ME) in June 2015.

Interview

Took a long time to hear anything, and then once I was offered an interview it was scheduled within a week. The candidate (me) was put in a special claustrophobic room, and each person on the panel met with the candidate individually. One panel member didn't even show up, and I sat in the room alone while waiting for him.

Customer Service Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Council On International Educational Exchange (Portland, ME) in March 2015.

Interview

Long, repetitive, 7-8 different people. It was in a tiny room, which was a little too tiny. There was not much privacy. The people were very nice ESPECIALLY the human resource director. She was so sweet.

Interview Questions

• What does customer service mean to you?   1 Answer

International Recruitement Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Council On International Educational Exchange (Portland, ME) in September 2014.

Interview

Incredibly long! I was interviewing for almost four hours. Sometimes it was with one person, other times with three people. One of them was on Skype and that was awkward. But definitely plan on at least a half day for the interviews.