Council on Foreign Relations Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Council on Foreign Relations Intern Interview Questions

Updated Dec 15, 2016

2.7

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Council on Foreign Relations in April 2016.

Interview

Skype interview, first with hiring manager and then 10 minutes later, with two research associates. Friendly process, largely behavioral questions based on resume and interests. In the interview with the RAs I elaborated on my interest in the region (the internship was in an area studies program) and discussed scholars both within and outside of CFR that I enjoyed. I received the interview request a month after applying and received the offer a week after interviewing.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Council on Foreign Relations

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Council on Foreign Relations (New York, NY).

Interview

I had an interview with HR and department supervisor right after each other. It was about an hour long process and everyone was very friendly and welcoming. I liked my time there quite a bit.

Interview Questions

• What project would you like to work on while you're here?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Council on Foreign Relations (Washington, DC) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online, received an interview offer in less than two weeks. I was interviewed by the HR manager and then by a research assistant for the program I applied for. Very friendly and was more of a chat than an interrogative interview. They assume that you are passionate and knowledgable about the issues of that program (and fairly so), so get comfortable talking about them. I was not chosen for the program I applied for but was encouraged to apply to another position.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about issues relating to this program?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Council on Foreign Relations (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

Typical interview experience done over Skype. Initial interview with New York human resources staff, then welcomed on to interview with DC staff for specific position I applied for. This round of interviews was first done with an HR representative and then with the Research Associates in my program. Did not talk with Fellow.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Council on Foreign Relations (Boston, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

Fairly relaxed. I did the interview over skype since I'm based in Boston. I first interviewed with the woman in HR in charge of hiring interns. I then interviewed with the head of the department that I was applying for. Standard interview questions, nothing difficult. Everyone was very nice and helpful throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time that you took on a leadership role   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

Submitted cover letter and resume online. Contacted by phone to set up an interview two weeks later. Interviewed in office with an HR rep and the RA of the department I would be working in. Pretty standard fit interview, then some questions about my research experience.

Interview Questions

• Know about what differentiates CFR from other major think tanks.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

I received a phone call to have an interview the following week. After the in-person interview I received an email one month later letting me know I received the position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not applicable--Internship is unpaid

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Council on Foreign Relations (New York, NY) in August 2013.

Interview

Applied online for an internship position at the New York office and was called a few weeks later to schedule an onsite interview. Interviewed with human resources and then separately with my direct supervisor. The entire process took less than two hours. Was told I'd hear back in about a week, but was called the next day with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in the global commons (and more generally the study of international relations)?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Council on Foreign Relations (New York, NY) in September 2012.

Interview

Apply online, phone interview, on-sight interview.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Council on Foreign Relations (Washington, DC) in June 2010.

Interview

Applied, got a call for an interview, second round was a skype interview. then a few days later i was offered the position.