Coutts & Co Interview Questions in London, England | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 16, 2017

3.1

Private Banker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Coutts & Co (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Filled in application, then got through to the next round. The next round i had to download an application and play 4 games on it. I got through to the telephone interview. The telephone interview was strengths based and it consisted of 4 sections. The interviewer was nice and repeated questions on request however could not explain. I found out a week later i did not get the job as some of my answers were not aligned wit their values and therefore I would be demotivated working for Coutts

Interview Questions

• How do you think you will help coutts become the most respected private bank within 4 years.   1 Answer

Senior Client Service Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Coutts & Co (London, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

no shock q, straight forward.
    scenario based interview - 5 q & a task asking you to listen to 30 seconds of the opening of a call and you have to recollect some details

Associate II Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Coutts & Co (London, England (UK)) in July 2016.

Interview

It's very ad-hoc and differs from team to team. My interview was a face to face one with the manager for the team I was being hired in. My enthusiasm to learn things which will be required in the job which I lack as a skill was the winning factor.

Interview Questions

• Have you worked in an agile environment? How can you run a project using agile methods?   1 Answer

Senior Client Services Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Coutts & Co (London, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

Telephone interview with a few standard interview questions like tell us about the company etc. Listening exercise and advise what you are proud to of achieved. You are to sound enthusiastic here and really confirm the skills you used to overcome a difficult situation.

Interview Questions

• Q: what skills can you bring to the role.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

Business Analyst Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Coutts & Co (London, England (UK)) in October 2015.

Interview

competency based on business analysis, management and driving change. Questions about coutts and co came up so best to do your homework. Interviewed by 2 direct managers on the newly created role. describe a time dealt with difficult stakeholder, all the usual standard questions asked at competency based interviews. very probing on scenarios so get lots of examples together

Client Support Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Coutts & Co (London, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

I was contacted for a telephone interview that lasted around twenty minutes.

I will try and give as much information as possible for people who are applying for this role in the future. The questions were along the lines as the following. Obviously not exactly the same but similar.

Tell us the three main things you know about our company.
    What are you main likes and dislikes at your current job?
    Give an example where you have used your problem solving skills.

There were a few more questions but I cant quite remember exactly what they were.
    Then I was asked to tell them what my greatest achievement was. I was also asked what difficulties I had to overcome to achieve this.

That was followed by a listening exercise which lasted around five minutes. They read out a scenario and ask you questions about it at the end. You need to remember things like the name of the client in the scenario, what kind of product she had and what she was asking to do (e.g in my case she was transferring £500 from her store card to her credit card and wanted to know how long it would take).

At the end of the interview they tell you that you will be notified by email if you are successful or not. I was emailed within a few hours and told I was not. I do however feel my interviewer did not phrase the questions very well and could have been a bit clearer when speaking which is something you would expect from someone working in a high level customer service job.

Private Banker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Coutts & Co (London, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

Well organised and managed interview process. Paper-based Banking knowledge quiz around various industry jargon. Competency based interview in London was very basic, only three questions, far too rigid, felt more like a HR tick box exercise, little was related to the actual role, 'have they stated they listen to a customer??? Tick!'. The VP responsible for the area listened and took notes whilst went through a Telephone based role play with a 'team leader'. Sales and Call Centre culture was apparent, attitude from the team leader just trying to be a difficult customer, working out if I can downgrade their service level and get them to invest more at the same time. Overall, I expected better from Coutts, in reality...a call centre for RBS.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Coutts & Co (London, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied in November 2014 and had the Assessment Centre in Early January 2015. The stages of the process were: Online Application Form; Online Numerical, Logical and Situational Judgement Tests; Telephone Interview; Assessment Centre.

At the Assessment Centre there was a group exercise, role play / presentation, case study and 1:1 interview. No technical knowledge required, just commercial awareness.

Interview Questions

• Why Coutts? Why Private Banking? Lots of Competency Questions   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Coutts & Co (London, England (UK)) in December 2014.

Interview

Applied late October 2014.

Filled out their standardised application form, with basic screening questions such as why RBS, why Coutts, etc.

First step was a psychometric test that analysed how you dealt with certain professional situations. Usually a long paragraph of text detailing the situation, and 4 responses that need to be graded between 'most appropriate response' and 'least appropriate response'. This seemed mostly common sense but there were a few pitfalls to look out for. I think these might have been SHL.

What followed was your standard banking SHL numerical reasoning test. Practicing before taking the test might help finally it's down to whether you are actually good at this kind of math.

After passing the test I was invited to a telephone interview, which I booked online at a convenient time in mid November. I received the call on time. The interviewer informed me that the interview would be divided onto 2 stages. If I didn't pass the first stage, then there would be no second stage. Quite intense to have to think about.

The first part was basic such as why RBS, why wealth management, your strengths and weaknesses, what makes RBS different and what you see yourself doing in a few years time.

After passing this the next step was the STAR style interviews. (Situation, Task, Action, Result), how you should answer these questions. Name a time when...

Received a message early December that I was selected for the Coutts assessment day. Notice was short (9 days), and they stated that there is no guarantee that there will be other days available if they fill all of their positions.

The day was divided into 4 task:

1. Group discussion where you sit down with the other candidates and the interviewers present Coutts, RBS and give a run down of what working there will be like. Then there is an exercise where they look for how you behave in a team and interact with other people. Do you come across as a leader...?

2. Case study. You are given the following information. Person X (The name was gender neutral) has won the lottery, 1.4 million pounds, and was encourage by a friend to visit coutts and learn how their 'wealth' can be managed. They were supposed to meet your manager, but she/he has been caught up in a tube strike and couldn't make it, so you are drafted in to make the introduction and get some important details from the prospective client. You have 15 minutes to think of what you need to ask. 12 minutes later the interviewer entered with an 'actress' (a member of RBS staff). The interviewer sits down behind you and actress in front. You must get into your role as a Coutts employee immediately. The actress plays the role of a difficult and disinterested customer. You need to ask as many questions as possible and get as much information. Don't try to sell products. Things such as are you married? Do you have kids? Their education? Planning? What you want? and so forth...

3. Assessment: You are given 3 emails.

One is from an intern who proposes some interesting ideas for the bank, but his language is inappropriate for professional communication. Your manager instructs to discipline/educate him on correct business language without offending or being aggressive.

The next is a customer complaint, who has been told repeatedly that an issue will be resolved when it hasn't. You need to convince him that this time the issue will be dealt with sincerely. He mentioned some small business owners meeting where he intended to dissuade other businesses from approaching your bank. You obviously need to convince him to not do that.

Last was an email from your manager, who (I think) asked to list the Pro's and Cons of implementing the new technology that the intern earlier was talking about and what you thought should be done. The technology had something to do with making payment easier...

4. Personal interview:

Here you sit down with a member of Coutts staff, who describes his job briefly and how much he/she enjoys it. Then the telephone interview is repeated in person. Why Coutts? Why wealth management? What makes us different? etc. and then the same Situational questions to be answered in the same STAR format. When thats done there is a brief discussion about your thoughts on the day, your experience and any questions you may have (Always have questions)

If you are successful in this stage, you are made an offer, i.e. this was the last stage.

They give EXTENSIVE feedback about your performance.

Interview Questions

• Telephone Interview:
      On a scale of 1 to 10, with one being more likely to stand your ground and stick by your ideas, to 10 being more likely to submit and go with the crowd, where do you place yourself? Why?
      1 Answer
    • What makes RBS different from other banks?   1 Answer
    • Name a time when you helped someone achieve their goals.

Name a time when you handled confrontation in a team.
      Answer Question
    • Why Coutts and why wealth management?   Answer Question
    • What are some of the current and future challenges that RBS faces?   1 Answer

Client Service Support Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Coutts & Co (London, England (UK)) in May 2014.

Interview

application and feedback was quick. Was contacted by manager of client service department for telephone interview which lasted 30min. The interview was behavioural questions. describe your greatest achievement and why? and last 5 min was a listening exercise. The interviewer was friendly and remained very neutral throughout the telephone interview. 3 hours after the interview they emailed me that I was not successful