Coventry Building Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Coventry Building Interview Questions

Updated Apr 23, 2017

3.2

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Coventry Building in March 2017.

Interview

After applying I received a phone call for a quick chat about the role, I then did 2 online tests, then a 30 minute telephone interview. This then followed on to a face to face interview in branch which took around 2.5 hours, discussing yourself, relative job roles, a chance to sit behind the counter and talk to staff and a role play.

Business Change Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Coventry Building (Coventry, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Prior to the assessment day I completed an online application, online tests and a telephone interview which were fairly standard in line with any other graduate application process. The assessment day consisted of a group activity, an interview and an individual presentation. The individual presentation was the most difficult part as the information provided was very brief and so it was open to a lot of interpretation.

Interview Questions

• The interview consisted of a large amount of competency/strength based questions alongside general questions about education and questions regarding what you knew about the company.   Answer Question

Business Change Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Coventry Building (Coventry, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Full Breakdown

1- Preliminary questions via email

Copy of email below:

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in our 2017 Graduate Programme. We’re keen to find out more about you, as we’re looking to find people who are as passionate about our values as we are. Please can you take some time to answer the following questions to support your application:

Q- Please confirm that you have successfully achieved (or are expecting to achieve) a 2:1 or above in your undergraduate degree or a merit or above in your masters qualification.

Q- Do you require a visa to work in the UK?

Q- Our values are at the heart of our organisation. They are Caring, Attentive, Reliable, Ethical and Straightforward; we’d like you to choose 1 value that you feel resonates with you, and tell us about a time when you have demonstrated this value. To keep it straightforward, please use 250 words.

Q- Think about the programme you’ve applied for. What motivated you to send us your application and what drives your passion for a career in this area? Please keep your response to a maximum of 250 words.

Thanks for your support with this! We will be reviewing your application and question responses as quickly as possible so please respond with your answers within 2 weeks from receiving this email.

2- Telephone interview (Yeah I know it is weird doing this before online testing)

3- Online verbal and numerical testing (SHL system basic testing, on assessment day 2 people at "random" chosen to do testing again to verify results)

4- Assessment day

*Start of Day* - 09:00

This involved a brief introduction to the HR team and the current business change team and senior leadership.

*Short Break*

Group exercise, task involved for you as a team to choose which improvements (provided on a list with corresponding cost) to make to a fictional company with a limited budget. In this case, the company was an online clothing company.

This was a basic group based exercise, whilst you do the task each candidate has a bank employee assigned to make notes on your input in the discussion. Therefore, you will find yourself being stared at by a bunch of people. Additional to the group information, each individual is given unique pieces of information on separate sheets to help convince the group on your suggestions. Further, the bank says they are looking for strong arguments supported by only the evidence provided.

*Short Break*

2-on-1 interview, with managers from business change. General questions about your motivation, why you choose this bank. Further about your CV, experience, and educational attainments. Further questioning about any major life achievements at work or personal. Also questions on your strengths and weaknesses.

The interview itself was basic and nothing too challenging, was enjoyable and relaxed.

*Short Break*

I was chosen for "randomised" SHL testing (shortened version). Before test began laptop mouse did not work, for some reason no USB mosque could be found. So test was abandoned at the request of assessors. (Provided valuable insight into the technology of the bank)

*Short Break*

Presentation on business change, 40 minutes solitary prep time and 10 minutes for presentation. All information provided on the day NOT beforehand.

You have an option to make presentation on power point or using a whiteboard and markers.

The topic was about how you would manage a business change project involving the bank offering pet insurance products to its customers. You are provided with a fact sheet about the pet insurance market and general stats.

I messed up as I focused heavily on the market itself and regurgitating the information on the fact sheet, highlighting key areas of focus and/or areas I felt further development was required. They were looking more for practicalities regarding what business change systems you would use and processes. It may be worthwhile reading up on this or talking to a industry professional about how to manage projects in general what systems and processes you would use. Further, maybe mention milestones and staff development.

*End of Day* - 16:30

I would just like to add this bank is undergoing a lot of change, seems to be stuck in the past, suffering from a lot of "technical debt" (AKA archaic systems and IT, their words not mine, signalled by having no USB mouse)

For example when we had our interview, they were promoting the transition from their old website to a new one. I was surprised as it was 2017 and most banks did this change many years ago. In addition, they were in the process of installing new phone systems and IVR, which I was surprised to learn. Additionally at this time (Feb - 2017) they had no digital recruitment system so everything was done via email even initial application.

Interviews are a two way process. Personally even though I did not get the job it is not a bank I would voluntarily work for.

Interview Questions

• Our values are at the heart of our organisation. They are Caring, Attentive, Reliable, Ethical and Straightforward; we’d like you to choose 1 value that you feel resonates with you, and tell us about a time when you have demonstrated this value. To keep it straightforward, please use 250 words.   Answer Question
    • Think about the programme you’ve applied for. What motivated you to send us your application and what drives your passion for a career in this area? Please keep your response to a maximum of 250 words.   Answer Question

Graduate Leadership Position Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Coventry Building in May 2016.

Interview

The hiring process is quite quick, in all it took about 2 weeks from when I submitted my application till I was called for an interview. You are asked to explain how you have demonstrated one of the values of the Building society. The interview questions are strength based.

Financial Risk Modeling Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Coventry Building (Coventry, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

It was quite a lengthy process, it started with a telephone interview with the hiring manager. Once positive feedback provided I was invited for a face to face interview 2 weeks later and in the meantime I was required to do the verbal and mathematical reasoning tests as well as prepare an analysis and presentation based on the data sample they have provided.

Interview Questions

• They first asked some questions around the data analysis I had to present at the beginning of the interview (that I had 6 days to prepare the presentation). Then they went to competency based questions, mainly around people management and project/time management. Lastly the focus was around technical knowledge relevant to the role (types of models, regulations that I know of that impact the credit risk space, their impact).   Answer Question

Graduate Programmer IT Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Coventry Building in February 2016.

Interview

Phone interview basically go through education history from high school up to the most recent education. What you like and what you don't like. Some of your work experience and extra-curricular activities. Then ask some strength based questions and how much we know about the company.

Branch Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Coventry Building in October 2015.

Interview

assessed over phone and then a face to face interview- lots of competency based questions from two managers . whole process lasted for about 1.5 hours and was conducted on site of branch where job was advertised

Interview Questions

• tell me about a time when someone has been disruptive in your business   Answer Question

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Coventry Building (Coventry, England (UK)) in September 2014.

Interview

Initially had to submit an application form and cover letter
    3 stages
    telephone
    in branch, face interview, plus test
    final interview in branch meeting the team
    HR team were good and communicated well and helped prepare for the interview

Interview Questions

• what is the difference between a bank and building society   1 Answer

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Coventry Building (Coventry, England (UK)) in August 2014.

Interview

Phone interview where they see how much you know about the company. Most answers can be found on the website. Some competitor knowledge won't hurt. Numerical and verbal test were done on paper at head office with a face to face interview with HR. With was more of a getting to know you interview. Face to face interview in branch. I had an interview with two branch managers, one was the manager of the branch I applied for, and this was seeing how you would fit into the culture and into the existing team.

Interview Questions

• How do you put customers first?   1 Answer

Human Resources Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Coventry Building (Coventry, England (UK)) in January 2013.

Interview

A ridiculous application process where they offer you four options to apply. Just do the application form - you'll have to do one in the end so save your precious time.

Interview Questions

• Can you give N example of when something you did did not go according to plan.   1 Answer