Cowen Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 13, 2017

3.1

Account Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cowen Group (New York, NY).

Interview

I meet with the head of HR first who gave me an overview of the firm then I meet with the head of the group I was joining and then my immediate supervisor

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you'd be a good addition to the group? What skills do you posses that you think would beneficial to the group?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Cowen Group (New York, NY).

Interview

On campus interview 2 analysts came and were not very friendly. Emailed to see status and was ignored by every member I was given contact info about. Employees seemed very disinterested

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Cowen Group (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Had to meet with 12 different people in a three hour period, everyone asked the same questions and spoke in a very condescending way. Without directly saying it, almost everyone I met with made me feel like I wasn't welcomed there mostly because I chose not to major in finance.

Interview Questions

• Tell me your background, why investment banking?, Are you irritated to work 100 hours a week? Why didn't you major in finance if you're interested in this career   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cowen Group (New York, NY).

Interview

Everyone on the team is very different. Some people were nice, others were total duechebags. But overall, everyone seemed pretty cool. Mainly fit questions, but the people who asked technical questions were the dicks. Be prepared to answer questions about different valuation techniques, how depreciation would affect every financial statement, and recent deals of the company.

Interview Questions

• When would gross margin be smaller than operating margin?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cowen Group (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I got the initial interview through networking with bankers within the firm. Got passed two phone screens and receive an invite to their super day in their SF office.

Equity Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cowen Group (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

Painful. Slow, tedious, management has no idea what they want. Lots of chauvinistic questions. Concerned with women with personalities....which is interesting business model in that i don't think women should be shunned for having "big personalities" (e.g. you're a woman so why do you have an opinion actually came up in interview.)

Interview Questions

• Why in the world do you want to do this job?   1 Answer

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cowen Group (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

I had a 2 phone calls with associates, all behavioral. Then a few weeks later I went into the office and met with 2 VP's and 1 MD. It was a great experience.

Equity Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

Sent the company my resume and got a phone call a few days later to come in for an in-person interview at their NYC office. The interview was first with an MD and then with the MD's assistant. All behavioral questions - very conversational actually. Both guys were easy to talk to, which made for a good interview experience.

Equity Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cowen Group (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

I had two phone interviews, and both were very informal. I was asked about my background, why I wanted to do equity research, what my skills were, etc. They then delved into personal questions about certain tastes/likes/dislikes. The first phone interview was 50 minutes, second was 20. I never heard back from them.

Client Relationship Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Cowen Group (New York, NY).

Interview

It was very straightforward. A staff member responded to my application rather promptly, and I was scheduled for a phone interview. Afterwards, I spoke to another staff member, and finally, I was asked to come in for an in-person interview. It went well, very straightforward. I haven't heard back from them for over a week now, so I assume I'm no longer in the running for the position.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really. Their questions were related to the position, and otherwise, were typical interview questions.   Answer Question