Cox Communications Customer Retention Sales Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cox Communications Customer Retention Sales Representative Interview Questions

1 Interview Review

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Customer Retention Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cox Communications (Wichita, KS) in April 2011.

Interview

I applied online and gave the name of the employee who referred me to the position. Later I asked that person and another employee I know to do what they could to help me get an interview. Within a week I was contacted by HR to schedule a phone interview. HR schedules phone interviews in 15-minute intervals. The first opening was the end of the following week. Later I learned they are hiring dozens of people for this position because they are growing the department.

During the phone interview an HR rep gave me details about the position, requirements, pay, training, and timeline. It was frustrating to learn that, if hired, I had missed the soonest training (it was full) so would have to wait four weeks or more just for training. That's how it goes, but I was hoping to start sooner. The HR rep asked a few generic questions, i.e., "What do you consider the most important trait in a successful salesperson?" Then she scheduled me for a face-to-face interview with two supervisors for the following week.

I was not prepared for the interview at all. I thought I knew what the job would entail but I was clueless. I did not know how to handle the barrage of 15-20 SMART questions and did not have any stories ready. I should have prepared answers to all the SMART questions I could find. Also I should have read up on what the challenges might be to convincing a customer to keep their cable, broadband or phone services. The interview lasted about an hour.

I remembered, however, that my desire for an interview was to learn more about the position so I could determine if I even wanted it. It turned out I wasn't excited by the idea of spending 40+ hours per week, including some nights & weekends, handling one phone call after another, dealing with dissatisfied customers who wanted to drop or reduce services. The position came with a quota so the sales-orientation of the job was top priority. None of that really suits who I am. The astute interviewers came to the same conclusion. I received an email within 12 hours stating that I was not chosen.

Everyone was very nice and I felt comfortable talking with them. My friends who work with Cox love how they are treated. I wouldn't mind working for them in a position for which I am qualified and enthusiastic.

Interview Questions

• Give me a specific example of a time when you used good judgment and logic in solving a problem.   Answer Question
  • Describe a situation in which you were able to use persuasion to successfully convince someone to see things your way.   Answer Question